SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metal bracelet for new watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal bracelet for new watch? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
As you may know, I was gifted an awesome watch by Stickman. I love this watch. It's my first automatic and I can't stop looking at it. I'm marveling at the precision engineering that must be working endlessly under the sapphire.

The current silicon strap is very comfortable. However, I think I've generally preferred metal bracelets with push button clasp.

For fine watches, do you guys usually just get one from the OEM? Or do you get something more universal from some preferred third party?

I think I'd ideally like a non-flashy titanium bracelet. But brushed / matte stainless is also fine. The OEM choice is here: https://www.orientwatchusa.com...ch-straps/um024113j0

Nothing on Prime that caught my eye.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Strapcode. The one thing about my Orient that is wholly unimpressive is the bracelet, especially the stamped clasp.

https://www.strapcode.com/sear...duct&q=orient*&view=

* Edit - I don't see a Kanno compatible bracelet on there. May have to research to see what fits it. That could be a hurdle.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd pick this one; https://www.strapcode.com/prod..._sid=aa896cf30&_ss=r

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Nice site.

Is the curve of the Orient watches the same as long as the case width and lug width are the same? Bracelets are compatible? Or do they differ - I should look for bracelets explicitly compatible with Kanno?

I like the suggestion above - unique clasp too.

Or how about something like this that caught my eye?

https://www.strapcode.com/prod...riant=12669211869239

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, I think I've narrowed it down to four choices:

1) https://www.strapcode.com/prod...riant=12669211869239

2) https://www.strapcode.com/coll...esh-mc-bcl20-005b-xx

3) https://www.strapcode.com/coll...esh-mc-bcl20-005b-xx

4) https://www.strapcode.com/coll...metal-ss-bcl20-b134s

I'm leaning toward #1/3, then #2, then #4. I assume these all work - the key is 22mm lug width.

Any opinions?

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Number 4 is classic; I like the looks of number 1 and have been considering getting one of those for my Monster.

Look over here too, konata: https://www.strapcode.com/collections/orient
The reason I point this out is that the ones you showed above have the straight "end link" (I know there's a better name for that), while the Orient-specific ones have a curved end link, matching up to the round case better. Just an opinion, based on aesthetics.

- - - - - - - -
Edited to correct bad spelling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input!

I actually whittled down to two choices, #4 and #1, and was leaning toward #4. Smile

I think I looked at the Orient specific straps but they they didn't seem to have anything specific to Kanno. I checked the case diameters of other lines and most were 41.x mm (Kanno is 44mm). Closest is Neptune (Triton?) at 43.4mm.

I was assuming that because of case diameter, the straps wouldn't fit the Kanno (except maybe Neptune/Triton?). Do you think 41.xmm is close enough for the strap to work on the Kanno?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Personally I would go with one of those 22mm straight end link bracelets as they IMO look better and accentuate the round case shape and polished sides of the case that are otherwise covered up by the oem end links on the stock bracelet.

As long as you tighten down those little screws and check them periodically they are much easier to resize than the pin and collar type, which isn’t hard. It can be frustrating the first few times you do it, especially if you don’t have the right tools.

It also looks great on a shark mesh bracelet. But I’m biased as I believe almost every watch looks better and feels better on mesh. In summertime heat or if you get the watch wet this is one of the best bracelets to have. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm having some difficulty deciding especially since these things aren't cheap.

I had deprioritized the mesh but after seeing pics of the Kanno with it, it's back up for consideration. It does look nice (although I'm a bit torn between the mesh and the solid end link).

Also still under consideration are the Super Engineer II and perhaps the Hexad. Both are available with brushed or DLC options. The shark mesh doesn't have a DLC option so my just go brushed (not sure about the durability of PVD, at the clasp and maybe even at the mesh links). It does get hot in the summer here.

The shark mesh: looks comfortable and cooler. Looks like luxury. A little concerned about adjustability.

The engineer: looks nice and seems ventilated. Adds a little heft to the look.

The hexad: looks very solid and hefty like a diver should.

I'm going to decide by 16:00 (in about 1 hour).

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, decision made and submitted.

I thought someone here mentioned PVD / Black straps. But I can't find the mention now. Perhaps I just imagined.

In any case, I actually kind of like the black of the current factory strap (just wanted a metal bracelet instead of silicon buckle).

So, I ended with a DLC black bracelet: https://www.strapcode.com/coll...etal-ss-blc20-blc024

Hope it turns out okay - very very expensive mistake otherwise. There is a similar model with rounded links; I opted for the version with the chamfered links. Again, I hope I made the right choice. Chamfered just seemed a little more like work horse vs luxury. I need some confidence boosters as I get older Smile

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Hope it turns out okay - very very expensive mistake otherwise.
And therein lies my biggest issue with Strapcode bracelets. Given my meeger selection of watches, its hard to part with $100+ for a bracelet when I only paid ~$150 for the watch itself. Probably part of the reason why most of my watches are on leather or NATO straps. Hope yours works out well for you. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I think you chose well, but if you end up feeling like you didn't make the right choice, let me know. I'll make it work out for you. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And therein lies my biggest issue with Strapcode bracelets. Given my meeger selection of watches, its hard to part with $100+ for a bracelet when I only paid ~$150 for the watch itself. Probably part of the reason why most of my watches are on leather or NATO straps. Hope yours works out well for you. Smile

Aside from price, my biggest hesitation with strapcode was HK/PRC company. But then almost all straps seem to be except for some expensive German ones I saw. I came across geckota and strapco. But strap code seems to be the market standard. Along with the recommendations here. I have no experience so I’m just going with the flow. I consider a strap made of sail cloth. Seemed well made but I think I prefer clasp over buckle.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I think you chose well, but if you end up feeling like you didn't make the right choice, let me know. I'll make it work out for you. Wink

Heh heh. I’ll write up some quick thoughts when it’s in hand. Need to figure if I have the tools needed to install and adjust.

Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cheapskate here, but I didn't want to spend more on my bracelet than my Orient watch cost. I asked a Rolex owner about his cool watchband. This is a shark mesh band that is nice and super ventilated. There are adjustment holes, but I needed to cut the chain links with a dremel. It's stainless steel so if you want it matt steel wool will do that. Fun little project for $15.
https://smile.amazon.com/Stain...08HS1DZ53&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#4 would be my choice, classic and never goes out of style.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also check milTAT bracelets. Quality is superb. Kind of a sister company to strapcode. Some overlap of products

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Shark mesh is crazy affordable and easy to size. You just have to be careful because you can’t undo cutting off rows of links. I use side cutting pliers and clip away at them. You could use a Dremel but pliers make quick work of shark mesh links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Also check milTAT bracelets. Quality is superb. Kind of a sister company to strapcode. Some overlap of products

Their Hexad bracelet looks to be the same design as that on my Marathon SAR. Very very comfortable and good looking to boot. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Their Hexad bracelet looks to be the same design as that on my Marathon SAR. Very very comfortable and good looking to boot. Big Grin

If this strap works out for the Kanno, I'm planning to get the Hexad for the Promaster.

I'm thinking the shark mesh would look nice on the Tissot.... Smile