SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metal bracelet for new watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal bracelet for new watch? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Finally - got the new strap and tools in-hand!

Installed. I need to get a small pin to adjust the micro adjustment tighter by a hole or two. But otherwise, seems like a good fit.

Strap quality seems pretty good. I forgot to check the diameter of the original Orient springbar pins; the new ones 2.5mm. I hope new ones are good and tough - at least as good as the Orient. I'm using the springbars that came w/ the new strap.

I think it looks okay - we'll see how durable the DLC finish is. I'm not going to baby the watch or the band. For better or worse, it's my everyday watch now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
BTW, based on my logs over the past 3 days, I'm averaging about +12s per day. Will continue for another week.

And then repeat in about a month or so. And then perhaps regulate. Would like to keep it w/in +- 5s per day if possible.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Looking good, konata!

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Now that’s more like it. +/- 5-15 seconds a day is about what you can expect from Orient and Seiko autos in that price range. It’s really just the luck of the draw. You can certainly have that fine tuned to a better level of accuracy but you are doing the right thing getting to know the performance of the watch out of the box first and giving it a chance to break in. Smile

My Maranez Samui (Doxa sub 300T homage) is pushing darn close to +/- 1 second a day! Eek I just got lucky as I own a few Seiko NH35 movements that are no where near as accurate. Still, I doubt I would get that level of accuracy out of the box from an actual Swiss 2824-2 powered Doxa Sub 300T unless I got VERY lucky again. Of course it too can be regulated and one should expect to have to get this done for the best level of accuracy out of these movements.

The companies that use regulated movements are really doing their customers a favor. The experience of owning an automatic watch that has been fine tuned for exquisite accuracy really adds quite a bit of joy and satisfaction to the ownership experience. Helm does this and it is probably one of many reasons that micro brand is so popular and in such demand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome watch and very cool thread, have found it helpful with learning about my first automatic (Seiko 5) and inspired me to change the band as well!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Heh heh; SF can be dangerous. Smile

I ordered a brushed stainless for my Promaster which is currently sporting a cheap canvas strap I bought in a hurry when the prior strap broke suddenly. It’s actually held up very well for several years. But it’ll be nice to have a bracelet more becoming of the watch.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The Promaster got new clothes too. Opted for a beefy looking brushed SS strap. I also got the Japanese screw driver - honestly, I like it better than the Bergeon screwdriver. It has a better tip (feels more solid and I like the profile). The Bergeon actually chipped on both sides on first use - it's more like a point than screwdriver now.