SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Agriculture Commissioner
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Login/Join 
posted
Nikki Fried won Ag Commissioner which is not a great thing for the 2nd Amendment. She has been very open and critical of Florida's CCW law and gun rights in general.

What is interesting is that 8,220,494 people voted in the Gov race, but only 8,059,155 cast votes in the Ag race, 161,339 difference. Caldwell lost by only 6,753 votes.

Make sure you always know all the candidates running for office. I was canvasing on election day, and I will tell you many GOP and Dem's alike had no clue on the down ballot candidates. Be very happy that we won the Gov race.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
She will probably move to rescind receporacy agreements similar to what happened in PA.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
she's the Ag commissioner - she should worry about oranges and grapefruits and leave the important stuff to better suited people

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And what influence, pray tell, does an Agricultural Comissioner have over firearms ownership? That makes not the first bit of sense. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
And what influence, pray tell, does an Agricultural Comissioner have over firearms ownership? That makes not the first bit of sense. Roll Eyes

CCW in FL is under jurisdiction of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

If the new commissioner is anti, seems that FL could change who runs CCW...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have a few Florida lawyers on board here.

Can one of y'all tell us what it would take, to move the licensing authority from Agriculture to a different department?

Constitutional amendment? Governor's Executive Order?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never really thought about why it was, but after a quick google search, it seems the NRA wanted so.....

https://www.tampabay.com/flori...the-nra-wants-it-to/

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Makes not the first damn bit of sense. That should be on the state flag:

"Florida: Must Be the Carpetbaggers"

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I said it before and I'll say it again, if Ms. Fried has any aspirations of being anything more than a one term dirt manager, she'll tread very lightly around the issue of CCL's. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, many people didn't know who the candidates for Ag Commissioner were and either threw a random vote in the race or didn't vote it at all. If Fried is stupid enough to make herself known as a gun control fan and an enemy to CCL holders, everyone will know who she is the next time around and she won't be sitting in that office.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
She in it for the 4:20 smoke break.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We have a few Florida lawyers on board here.

Can one of y'all tell us what it would take, to move the licensing authority from Agriculture to a different department?"

It was just a legislative decision back in 2002. So the Legislature could easily move it again (if they we so inclined).

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good God. How silly. 'Maters and Magnums

posted Hide Post
Ms Hammer wanted the licensing to be handled by someone who was elected, rather than appointed.

She pushed for this change and, as many suggest, she got her way as usual.

The Ag folks have done a pretty good job over the years, but messed it up fairly recently mostly because they had some dope who couldn't seem to log in to check backgrounds with NCIS, so he didn't-at least that was his story.

He may have been an anti-Putnam guy looking to embarrass him, which he did, or so the conspirator theory folks say, but most likely, just a dope.

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
From the above link :

""When I first learned about this, it's one of my most mind-boggling things that I keep coming back to," said Robin Lloyd, director of government affairs for Giffords, a Washington D.C.-based non-profit that advocates for tougher gun laws. "It makes no sense whatsoever."

The organization identified just three other states – Georgia, Delaware and Michigan – where someone other than police issue concealed carry permits. But in Georgia and Delaware, the courts issue the permits, and in Michigan, county clerks have the job. No state has a central office unrelated to law enforcement, like Florida's Department of Agriculture, issue the permits, according to Giffords.

The history of Florida's unusual process is a testament to the influence of the state's gun lobby.
Before 1987, cities and counties were able to set their own gun ordinances, and they varied wildly.

To get a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Broward County, for example, you had to pay a $500 fee, be interviewed by people ranging from a psychologist to county officials, and show that you had a dangerous job or had threats to your life and needed to carry a gun. Fewer than 40 people had permits.
By contrast, more than 10,000 people had permits in Duval County, where the restrictions were looser.

To Hammer and the NRA, the varying ordinances were more than just a nuisance to gun owners, who couldn't travel from county to county without potentially breaking a law. They were also a threat to gun rights, and she set out to do away with them.

In 1985, the Democratic-dominated Legislature passed a bill that would have created a concealed weapons permit process under the Department of State, but then-Gov. Bob Graham vetoed it, believing that locals should be able to set stricter ordinances.

Gun advocates were successful two years later, when then-Gov. Bob Martinez signed a bill that not only standardized concealed carry permits, but abolished the ability for cities and counties to set their own gun laws.
Hammer, the architect of the bill, called it "a great victory for the people of Florida who have been victimized."

Hammer explained the rationale for the move this way in an email:
"You should never want a program that impacts Second Amendment (constitutional) rights so profoundly to be under an agency led by an official who is not directly answerable to the people at the ballot box," Hammer wrote on Monday. "It is most inappropriate for (the Florida Department of Law Enforcement) or any other law enforcement agency to handle a licensing program, especially one that licenses firearms owners to carry firearms."

At the time, Hammer and other defenders of the Second Amendment didn't imagine the gun owning voters would allow the election of a commie to the AC office. WE dropped the ball.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but it was kinda cool many years ago when I got my first CCL. That license was signed by the then duly elected Ag commissioner, Mr. Charles Bronson. Smile

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Yeah, but it was kinda cool many years ago when I got my first CCL. That license was signed by the then duly elected Ag commissioner, Mr. Charles Bronson. Smile
I still have mine with the Charles Bronson autograph. It's expired, of course, but they did let me keep it for a souvenir when I renewed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
I still have mine with the Charles Bronson autograph. It's expired, of course, but they did let me keep it for a souvenir when I renewed.
Same here. Smile

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
Same here. Smile

Ditto

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6730 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ms. Hammer is pushing to have the permitting function moved to the office of the state's Chief Financial Officer -- Jimmy Patronis, a Republican.

A couple of Democratic state senators have introduced a bill to move the licensing responsibility to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

It makes perfect sense when you take into account that this has nothing to do with firearms ownership, only the administration of the CCW permit program. FL has absolutely no licensing requirements to own a firearm.

The dept of ag already handles licensing/permiting so it was a logical fit to handle the administrative side of the CCW. This places the program under an elected offical and it also keeps law enforcement from creating a central database of permit holders which is why CCW information does not show up when a FL driver license is run by LEO.

Moving the CCW administration into the FDLE or any other dept is a very bad idea. In FL a CCW permit is strictly an administrative process, you qualify or you don't. No interviews, no sign off by local popo, no justification for why you need it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post