SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Agriculture Commissioner
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A couple of Democratic state senators have introduced a bill to move the licensing responsibility to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

That should tell you all you need to know about if this is a good idea or not.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
A couple of Democratic state senators have introduced a bill to move the licensing responsibility to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

And given Florida has a Republican majority in the legislature and a Republican governor, that legislation has exactly zero chance of ever seeing the light of day.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

And given Florida has a Republican majority in the legislature and a Republican governor, that legislation has exactly zero chance of ever seeing the light of day.

Absolutely correct. And I am confident that if Nikki Fried tries to mess with the permit process the legislature will smack her down pretty quickly.

My point was that moving the CCW permitting out of the dept of AG would be a bad idea and I was using that the dems want to move it as supporting my position.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It is the Department of Agriculture, Division of Licensing is a part of it. They are set up to regulate various industries and issue various licenses, including Private Investigation, Security Officer, Recovery, and Class G firearms licenses for Security Officers and PI's. There is a law enforcement component to the Department of Agriculture. Since they were already set up to issue licenses and firearm licenses, the legislature believed it was logical to have them issue the CWFL as well. It is mostly an administrative process and works very well. I don't think I want FDLE burdened with the license process, they already have enough bureaucratic bullshit to contend with. Also if you read Florida Statutes Chapter 790 you will find a really comprehensive series of laws that the Secretary could not change if she wanted to. The department's job is to administer the program and comply with the law, not change the law.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Give her something she can't fuck up worse than it already is - put her in charge of the voting system.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
When I got my first Florida permit, the commissioner was Charles Bronson.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Mine's up for renewal, I have to pay to resubmit with fingerprints, what BS!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Issuing permits, like every other license her department issues (and inspecting gas pumps) is a purely administrative function. The Ag Commissioner has no real discretion or rule making authority. I’m not worried about her screwing it up until she proves there’s a reason to.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Mine's up for renewal, I have to pay to resubmit with fingerprints, what BS!
They do our fingerprints, digital impression of our digital appendages, on the spot.

They take the photo, too. There's a little sign next to the camera that you're looking at: "It's OK to smile!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
Issuing permits, like every other license her department issues (and inspecting gas pumps) is a purely administrative function. The Ag Commissioner has no real discretion or rule making authority. I’m not worried about her screwing it up until she proves there’s a reason to.

She can't make or change rules, but could she starve the CWP permitting process of personnel and resources? That would lengthen the time it takes to get a permit, perhaps dramatically. I seem to recall that FL doesn't have a statutory maximum permit processing time (perhaps somebody more familiar with FL could enlighten). Some locals here in the VA area have occasionally reported lengthy application processing times for non-resident Fl permits.

Administratively, someone hostile to the second amendment could get real picky about applications, requiring every "t" be crossed and every "i" dotted, rejecting applications that don't conform in the minutest detail. In other words, ratchet up the inconvenience factor so as to discourage applicants from even applying.

While she should just do her job, if hostile to the second amendment, she could probably throw the proverbial monkey wrench into the permitting process. Elections do have consequences.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:...
While she should just do her job, if hostile to the second amendment, she could probably throw the proverbial monkey wrench into the permitting process. Elections do have consequences.

I believe this is exactly what she will do. Every application triple "checked" and will take forever.

I actually met her back when she was floating the balloon for a governor bid. Attorney, lobbyist, big in the Medical Weed business. One thing she is not is stupid, which makes her dangerous. Renew your CCW permit now!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:

I seem to recall that FL doesn't have a statutory maximum permit processing time
I'd have to look it up to make sure, but if memory serves, it's 90 days.

My experience, and that of people I know, is that the initial issuance is usually done in less than two weeks.

Renewal permits are issued on the spot at walk-in offices. You need an appointment at these offices for initial issue, but for renewal it's just walk in, no appointment, bring your checkbook, smile at the camera, and walk out with your renewed permit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Can AC Fried maliciously affect Florida's CCL reciprocity with other states?

https://www.freshfromflorida.c...-License-Reciprocity

Its not clear who decides reciprocity and how.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The statute is pretty clear. Reciprocity with other states in Florida is quid pro quo

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The statute is pretty clear. Reciprocity with other states in Florida is quid pro quo

How does that answer my question?

Who makes the decision that we are no longer quid pro quo with another state? AC Fried?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
These interviews are from pre-election July 2018:

"Democratic candidate David Walker, a marine biologist, favors moving the checks to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

“Law enforcement officials are better equipped to perform a thorough background check,” Walker said. “It will also link the concealed weapon permit, which is under the commissioner of agriculture, with gun purchase, which is under Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Linking concealed weapon license with gun purchase will make it easier for law enforcement officials to see compliance with gun purchases.” emphasis mine.

Fried said moving the processing to the FDLE is something that deserves discussion.

“All concealed-weapons permit applications are run through the Florida Crime Information Center, which is run by the FDLE,” Fried said. “Background checks are run to ensure that CWP’s (concealed weapons permits) don’t end up in the hands of the wrong people and to protect society. So, in my opinion, it is completely reasonable to have the conversation of moving this responsibility over to the law enforcement professionals.”

http://floridapolitics.com/arc...ed-weapons-licensing

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

Who makes the decision that we are no longer quid pro quo with another state? AC Fried?

It is a Florida statute.

It requires a change by law.

The AC cannot do anything arbitrary.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

It is a Florida statute.

It requires a change by law.

The AC cannot do anything arbitrary.
Not clear to me. Are you saying that reciprocity with each other state is defined by Florida statute?

For instance, do we have a statute that specifically covers reciprocity with Georgia (just an example)?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sigmonkey.

So, the Florida legislature would have to initiate unilaterally dropping, say, North Carolina from our reciprocity agreement?

And if Colorado's increasingly commie .gov decides to unilaterally cease recognizing Florida CCL's, taking Colorado CCL holders off our list would require action by our legislature?

I'm not clear on this either, V-Tail.

I'm going to ask Ms. Stefannie for enlightenment. Smile

"Direct questions about concealed weapon license reciprocity with other states to

Stefannie.Carter@FreshFromFlorida.com.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION CONCERNING CONCEALED WEAPON LICENSE RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER STATES"

https://www.freshfromflorida.c...reciprocity-list.pdf

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...Not clear to me. Are you saying that reciprocity with each other state is defined by Florida statute?

For instance, do we have a statute that specifically covers reciprocity with Georgia (just an example)?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/sta...ctions/0790.015.html

(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

IIUC, as long as a resident has a valid permit in their state of residence, then the person is covered under Florida's 790 statutes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post