SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: Canning Lids and Jars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: Canning Lids and Jars Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Just a PSA, the last few years, since the onset of the covid-crap, there has been some shortage of canning lids.

Right now there are plenty of lids, rings, and canning jars on the shelves.

This would be an excellent time this week to stock up. Get them now while there is no worry and trouble getting them later.

Best wishes to all yall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the PSA. It has been a while since I tried to get some. Every place I looked was sold out or ridiculously priced.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Thank you - cheers!

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I noticed same a few weeks ago ... picked up some lids from Ace Hardware. I am good on jars and rings, but still need to stock up a little more on lids.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Good idea. We struggled the last couple of years finding all of the lids we needed.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just be cautious of counterfeits. A few years back I bought a couple hundred from Amazon and they were cheapo lids put in actual Ball boxes. I was a little leery as they had a different color sealant and no markings. I called Ball and they confirmed that their's all have the Ball logo.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ball lids from local stores have had some quality issues when they were available. I ended up ordering a bunch of American made lids from Lehman's and they have been excellent quality with zero failures.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Just be cautious of counterfeits. A few years back I bought a couple hundred from Amazon and they were cheapo lids put in actual Ball boxes. I was a little leery as they had a different color sealant and no markings. I called Ball and they confirmed that their's all have the Ball logo.

Interesting you mention this as a few weeks ago when I was in Ace Hardware buying a few lids I noticed a brand that I never heard of before. I passed and went for the Ball lids.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A year or so ago the wife became a lid/ring hoarder… to the point I had to tell her “no more”. I’ve lids for years.

She just canned some pineapple as an experiment this past weekend, in fact.

Was digging through pint jars, found one from roughly 1976-ish era. Must have come from Mom’s stash. Still serving on.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
A year or so ago the wife became a lid/ring hoarder… to the point I had to tell her “no more”. I’ve lids for years.

She just canned some pineapple as an experiment this past weekend, in fact.

Was digging through pint jars, found one from roughly 1976-ish era. Must have come from Mom’s stash. Still serving on.

Interesting to hear about canning pineapple ... would love to hear more on the process.