SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
So according to CNN only 36 were killed. I'm surprised they didn't say it missed.

How does one count the bodies that are vaporized with the bomb blast??

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Two thumbs up for this and "...we fight to win"

The past few years have felt like the Vietnam whiz kid years when McNamara and the team were setting ROE that made us run around like a gay fairy and slap the enemy. The constant pressure to count bodies was a joke then and is dumb now.

I'd settle for "We killed a bunch, and the position is destroyed". Report on the mission goals to measure success. I hope we keep killing the bad guys with big bombs and overwhelming force. No need to for men on the ground to assault a position like this with the options we have.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, the Air Force doesn’t even keep track of the per unit cost, nor the cost of the program as a whole, because it is not manufactured privately.

You know, I like big bombs and all that, and don't mind their use - especially on snackbar employees, but as a taxpayer such stories are revolting in terms of fiscal responsibility or the lack thereof. How is it that there's anything of consequence where the cost isn't tracked by the very branch of government tasked with its development and use. Dudes...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
So according to CNN only 36 were killed. I'm surprised they didn't say it missed.

...or buried under tons of debris? Me thinks CNN is 'creating' the news again rather than reporting it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
In fact, the Air Force doesn’t even keep track of the per unit cost, nor the cost of the program as a whole, because it is not manufactured privately.

You know, I like big bombs and all that, and don't mind their use - especially on snackbar employees, but as a taxpayer such stories are revolting in terms of fiscal responsibility or the lack thereof. How is it that there's anything of consequence where the cost isn't tracked by the very branch of government tasked with its development and use. Dudes...
Book this expense under "2000-0003 / International Advertising Expense".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Av8nShooter:
Today, liberals are a twitter wondering just what Trump's strategy is and complaining that he is not clearly communicating what he plans to do. Don't they see that this kind of thinking hasn't worked out so well for the past 8-years?

Trump's strategy is pretty clear. Kill ISIS.

A liberal pundit today voiced that Trump doesn't seem to have a concern with "Nation Building". It seems to me Trump knows clearly that a good building plan begins with a solid foundation. A solid foundation best begins with a clean level ground. MOAB appears to be a reasonably efficient means of achieving that. When the military is done, nation building can begin.

There are us that remember "hearts and minds" during Vietnam. As I recall the entire sentence was "when you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow." Think the President know that.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
More video:

Lil Kim is starting to wonder if his bunker is deep enough.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That number came from an Afghan ministry official who would have no idea in Hell how many were killed. The same number has been widely reported. I don't have any better idea of enemy casualties than they do, but I'm guessing it's higher--and may be much higher.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
quote:
GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)

GBU-75A carried by the B2 is the perfect solution to preempt the crazy fat kids nuclear test tomorrow.

It would not take much to stop the test.

The device is about a mile down, and the tunnels are run with several "kinks" and offshoots of partial tunnels to absorb the blast and shock, but the telemetry and other instrumentation wiring and cabling would suffer/be destroyed by a few well placed JDAMs or even the Tomahawks, as evidenced by the number of direct hits on structured in Syria.

Would piss the SLUFF off enough that he could simulate the blast hisself...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
quote:

GBU-75A carried by the B2 is the perfect solution to preempt the crazy fat kids nuclear test tomorrow.

It would not take much to stop the test.

The device is about a mile down, and the tunnels are run with several "kinks" and offshoots of partial tunnels to absorb the blast and shock, but the telemetry and other instrumentation wiring and cabling would suffer/be destroyed by a few well placed JDAMs or even the Tomahawks, as evidenced by the number of direct hits on structured in Syria.

Or we could hire Mark Hamill I guess?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
For every militant they count, there could be many more buried inside the cave complex. Cave-ins, lack of oxygen, trauma, there are many ways the enemy might die underground.

one can only hope

I hope they do an overflight for a daylight BDA photo

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

haven't heard that term in ages...

Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Snackbar Per Diem?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u...sive-bomb-1492172657

The top U.S. military commander in the Afghanistan, Army Gen. John Nicholson:

Gen. Nicholson also indicated that he made the decision to drop the bomb.

“The ammunition we used last night is designed to destroy caves and tunnels. This was the right weapon against the right target,” he told reporters Friday. “I am fortunate that my chain of command allow me the latitude to make assessments on the ground.”

A military official for the coalition who viewed footage of the bombing said it was difficult to make out details of its effects beyond a “mushroom cloud” of smoke rising into the sky.

He added that there was a second bomb available for use in the country, but no decision yet had been made on whether it should be deployed

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Crap just over 50% larger than the "Daisy Cutter"!

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

...or buried under tons of debris? Me thinks CNN is 'creating' the news again rather than reporting it.

What do you do, count the eye balls? How do you know when you have a pair, or two singles?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That would be this little wonder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Ordnance_Penetrator

It sheds several layers of it's outer "skin" so it can keep going through reinforced concrete. And it can be guided so precisely that another can be sent right behind a first.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Death Toll Rises to 94

AP - 4/15/17

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The number of militants killed in an attack by the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the U.S. military has risen to 94, an Afghan official said Saturday.

Ataullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor in Nangarhar, said the number of Islamic State group dead was up from the 36 reported a day earlier. A Ministry of Defense official had said Friday the number of dead could rise as officials assessed the bomb site in Achin district.

https://www.apnews.com/b9ea356...ath-toll-rises-to-94

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC

I suspect on one hand.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

What do you do, count the eye balls? How do you know when you have a pair, or two singles?

Impossible to match them, they all turn blew in an explosion of this magnitude.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post