SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today. Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
5 miles.

I think you are ignoring the secondary and tertiary spread of the glitter. There is no limit to the sparkling devestation.

Plus, the area would remain contaminated for the foreseeable future.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to the actual footage:

https://www.defense.gov/Video/videoid/519242/

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Embedded for you:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ0wG3fPd4

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, liberals are a twitter wondering just what Trump's strategy is and complaining that he is not clearly communicating what he plans to do. Don't they see that this kind of thinking hasn't worked out so well for the past 8-years?

Trump's strategy is pretty clear. Kill ISIS.

A liberal pundit today voiced that Trump doesn't seem to have a concern with "Nation Building". It seems to me Trump knows clearly that a good building plan begins with a solid foundation. A solid foundation best begins with a clean level ground. MOAB appears to be a reasonably efficient means of achieving that. When the military is done, nation building can begin.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I expect the main challenge with weaponizing glitter via a GBU-43/B would be preventing the glitter from igniting in the initial reaction.

The only way I can see around that problem would be to deploy the glitter in tandem, with its own, small explosive charge, triggered milliseconds after the MOAB's ignition, and let the primary weapon's outgoing shock wave disperse it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
According to CNN, only 36 militants were killed although the military had previously estimated 600-800 to be in the area. Frown

"The US dropped its most powerful non-nuclear bomb on ISIS positions in a remote part of Afghanistan. Afghan officials said 36 militants were killed in the strike in Nangarhar province, near the Pakistan border, where the US military previously estimated ISIS had 600 to 800 active fighters. Source: CNN"

http://www.cnn.com/videos/poli...ast-video-newday.cnn

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for embedding Bama.

I'd really like to see the non-infrared video of that thing going off!

The daylight photos of the blast area are going to awesome.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
According to CNN, only 36 militants were killed although the military had previously estimated 600-800 to be in the area. Frown

"The US dropped its most powerful non-nuclear bomb on ISIS positions in a remote part of Afghanistan. Afghan officials said 36 militants were killed in the strike in Nangarhar province, near the Pakistan border, where the US military previously estimated ISIS had 600 to 800 active fighters. Source: CNN"

I'm reading that to mean they estimated 600-800 fighters in the province, not the immediate vicinity of the blast.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Military Spokesman: We Are Fulfilling Trump’s Promise Of Kicking ‘The S**t Out Of The Enemy’

A Central Command spokesman said Thursday that the U.S. dropped a massive bomb in Afghanistan because they “mean business,” and are kicking the “S-H-I-T out of the enemy.”

The spokesman made the comments when speaking to The Hill on the condition of anonymity.

“This has been a very difficult area; they’re tunneled into the ground in hardened bunkers and they’re actually leading a lot of attacks on U.S. and partner nation forces,” he said. “When you have a very large beehive, a little flyswatter may not work, so finally you take out the big stuff. We just found a huge beehive and we have to use something more than the fly swatter.”

The bomb dropped on ISIS targets in a remote area of Afghanistan is dubbed the “mother of all bombs,” and weighs 20,000 pounds.

“We mean business,” the Central Command spokesman said. “President Trump said prior that once he gets in he’s going to kick the S-H-I-T out of the enemy. That was his promise, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”

The spokesman went on to say: “Afghanistan has, for a little while, been the forgotten war but there’s a lot of action over there, there’s a lot of dangers. If we’re going to be engaged in a war, we’re going to be engaged in a conflict to win, period.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04...st-out-of-the-enemy/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For every militant they count, there could be many more buried inside the cave complex. Cave-ins, lack of oxygen, trauma, there are many ways the enemy might die underground.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fill the crater with water and call it Lake Moab.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
They must think someone important was in there. Those things aren't cheap ($14,600,000 ea. plus shipping charges).

where did you get that figure - $14,600,000 ??
just curious...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
They must think someone important was in there. Those things aren't cheap ($14,600,000 ea. plus shipping charges).

where did you get that figure - $14,600,000 ??
just curious...

it is not correct.

The DoD Has No Idea How Much The Mother Of All Bombs Costs

The giant bomb U.S. forces dropped Thursday on an ISIS training camp in Afghanistan did not cost $314 million to develop, or $16 million per unit as reported by multiple news outlets.

Every news report about cost of the “Mother of All Bombs” relied on a misreading of a 2011 article or a dubious internet website that InfoWars once linked to with a “healthy bit of skepticism.”

The actual cost of the bomb is unknown. The actual cost of the program isn’t publicly available because the Mother of All Bombs, officially known as GBU-43 or the Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB), is manufactured by the military and not a private defense company. (RELATED: US Drops ‘Mother Of All Bombs’ On ISIS In Afghanistan)

In fact, the Air Force doesn’t even keep track of the per unit cost, nor the cost of the program as a whole, because it is not manufactured privately.

“We don’t have a cost per unit” for the MOAB, Air Force spokesperson Ann Stefanek told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “These munitions were produced in-house so we don’t have a standard procurement cost associated with them.”

The Air Force mostly used existing technologies and hardware for the first MOAB prototypes and never contracted out the full production of the bomb, so they did not need to itemize and add the cost of each weapon component, Stefanek told TheDCNF.

Many reports Thursday, including USA Today, the Washington Examiner, CNBC and others, claimed the MOAB cost $314 million to develop, citing a 2011 Los Angeles Times report.

The cost estimates in that article, however, only refer to the cost of the Air Force’s biggest bunker busting bomb, the 5,300 pound Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), or GBU-57, which is built by private defense contractor Boeing Company. “At a total cost of about $314 million, the military has developed and ordered 20 of the GPS-guided bombs, called Massive Ordnance Penetrators,” the LA Times report says.

While the two bomb types are related, they serve different functions — the MOP is designed to destroy underground bunkers as deep as 200 feet below the surface, while the MOAP crushes everything on the surface within a wide radius. The MOAB, like its Daisy Cutter predecessor, can only be dropped out of a C-130 built by Lockheed Martin, and the MOP is deployed from the B-2, a Northrop Grumman aircraft.

Many news organizations, including TIME and CNBC, also cited Deagel.com, a site with extensive lists of weapons assets owned by multiple countries, which claims the MOAB costs $16 million per unit, the same amount as the reported cost of the MOP.

Deagel links to no source to verify its information. The site’s IP is registered to an address in Spain, and the most press they’ve received was for a 2015 prediction that the U.S. population would drop by more than 80 percent by 2025 due to an economic and cultural collapse. “The American collapse is set to be far worse than the Soviet Union’s one [sic],” the forecast said.

InfoWars wrote this disclaimer when it wrote up Deagel’s report: “…we publish this report with some hesitation and a healthy bit of skepticism, yet find it compelling enough given the current global environment that it may be of interest to readers.”

The Air Force did award at least one contract in the development of the bomb to Dynetics, a defense contractor headquartered in Huntsville, Ala., for design of the bomb’s guidance system for the relatively low sum of $35,000.

The MOAB was developed rapidly leading up to the Iraq war in 2002. The bomb is based on the BLU-82/B “Daisy Cutter” used to clear helicopter landing sites in jungles during the Vietnam war.

The Air Force Research Laboratory ordered design concepts for “a 21,000-pound weapon system called the Massive Ordnance Air Blast” in April 2002, according to a 2014 report Dynetics delivered to the Senate Committee on Appropriations.

Dynetics then partnered with the Air Force to build and test three prototypes of the MOAB on March 11, 2003. Anyone within 20 miles of Eglin Air Force Base in Florida that day would have been able to see a giant mushroom cloud on the horizon at 1 p.m.

The Air Force then “produced more than 10 weapons and delivered them between April and May,” according to the Senate report, just nine weeks after the successful test. The rapid development of the weapon could have cost more than $314 million.

“Every technical glitch or roadblock we encountered was worked out,” Robert Hammack, who lead the design team for AFRL, said in an Air Force post about the history of the MOAB. “Our team was filled with engineers and other people with deeply important skill sets necessary to pull this off.”

The MOAB is reportedly constructed at McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, in Oklahoma, though a spokesman for McAlester could not confirm that to TheDCNF.

The fact that the bomb was never used during the Iraq war doesn’t mean they didn’t have an effect, according to the Air Force. “The most amazing thing about MOAB is it’s the most powerful bomb ever built and has done its job — deterring the enemy — simply because they know about it,” Hammack said.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04...wrong/#ixzz4eFCuWsVr

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Pretty sure the NKs know that MOAB cannot be deployed in their theater though.

Any weapon that deploys from a 130 cannot be used in high threat environments (SAM/AAA infested and contested airspace) - MOAB, AC-130 gunship.

There are bunker busting bombs that can be carried by a B2. GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP). They are also very large and I assume very capable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Ordnance_Penetrator

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
BFB-big fuggin bomb.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
For every militant they count, there could be many more buried inside the cave complex. Cave-ins, lack of oxygen, trauma, there are many ways the enemy might die underground.

One can only hope, eh?

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Pretty sure the NKs know that MOAB cannot be deployed in their theater though.

Any weapon that deploys from a 130 cannot be used in high threat environments (SAM/AAA infested and contested airspace) - MOAB, AC-130 gunship.

There are bunker busting bombs that can be carried by a B2. GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP). They are also very large and I assume very capable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Ordnance_Penetrator

They seem to have worked very well when used on deep CAC bunkers in the first Gulf War.

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
So according to CNN only 36 were killed. I'm surprised they didn't say it missed.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
We'll honestly never no how many were killed. And it really dosen't matter. That had to be a huge psychological mind twist to an enemy that was used to us "mailing it in" so to speak (not that the boys over there DON'T want to go full bore). There are some ISIS commanders rethinking strategy right now.

Now a question for you physics guys. This was dropped in a mountainous area, would that amplify the blast due to an echo effect, or would they absorb it? I kinda think the terrain would amplify the shockwaves but I have no idea.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)

GBU-75A carried by the B2 is the perfect solution to preempt the crazy fat kids nuclear test tomorrow.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post