SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a small point, but isn't it nice to hear the Administration calling them "ISIS" instead of Obama's preferred "ISIL"?

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
They must think someone important was in there. Those things aren't cheap ($14,600,000 ea. plus shipping charges).

Good Lord.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Those things aren't cheap ($14,600,000 ea. plus shipping charges).

No shipping if you use Amazon Prime.
Yes, but then we'd have to wait 2 weeks for it to ship, and USPS would probably deliver it to the wrong location or lose it...

Or break it.

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
How is that effective against caves and tunnels? Does it suck the air out and suffocate the occupants?

Probably the shock wave just colapses them in place...

Penetrator. You. Don't. Want. To. Be. Under. It.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall it is the gas vapor fueled bombs that consume all the oxygen in a tunnel complex to kill combatants. My recollection is that type may be of British design but am not sure. Most HE bombs get their power by creating their own oxygen during the explosion to combine with the burning/exploding material to accelerate the chemical reaction. Either way it's going to hurt like a mother if you are in the way.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
We needed a Donald Trump 50 years ago.

We could have defeated North Vietnam easily if it hadn't been for the administration that had no intention of winning that war.

USAF Bien Hoa 1969-1970.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
21,600 pounds.

Does it even need to go off?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Those things aren't cheap ($14,600,000 ea. plus shipping charges).

No shipping if you use Amazon Prime.
Yes, but then we'd have to wait 2 weeks for it to ship, and USPS would probably deliver it to the wrong location or lose it...

On the plus side, if they happen to get it ANYwhere in the neighborhood, you'll pretty much know it....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
21,600 pounds.

Does it even need to go off?

Smile

Physics nerd and brute force fan!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that was something they had available in theater in case they needed it or if it was something they recently sent over.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I wonder if that was something they had available in theater in case they needed it or if it was something they recently sent over.

Let's just say...this has been in the works for some time.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
My only complaint is the savages probably didnt suffer enough.

Oh well, Boo-yah, shitheads!

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
They say that the best weapon is the one that you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree! I prefer... the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j83bGaauRXw

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting this would be part of a real strategy for a change and it's a week after doing syria.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
How is that effective against caves and tunnels? Does it suck the air out and suffocate the occupants?

Probably the shock wave just colapses them in place...

Penetrator. You. Don't. Want. To. Be. Under. It.

That is a MOP not a MOAB. These are Air Burst Bombs. You are thinking about bunker busters. Those are for hardened or deeply buried caves/bunkers.

I don't want to be near either of them when they go BOOM.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they can make one of these that also contains glitter, I would happily contribute whatever taxes were needed to make that happen.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
After eight years of Barney Fife in charge, there's a new Sheriff in Town.

Walker...Texas Ranger.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Either way it's going to hurt like a mother if you are in the way.

Only for a micro-second

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Nice to have the adults back in charge...

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Our enemies and allies alike are beginning to take notice that this POTUS actually possesses a nutsack!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post