SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a winter vacation get-a-way...thoughts on location?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a winter vacation get-a-way...thoughts on location? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Looking to get away from the snow sometime in January or February for a couple of weeks. Seeking sun, ocean beach, cigar friendly, and not too touristy. On or off CONUS.

Suggestions?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I think “not too touristy” just eliminated every site anyone here would have recommended e.g. Hawaii.
Good luck!

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Belize ?

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I think “not too touristy” just eliminated every site anyone here would have recommended e.g. Hawaii.
Good luck!

Yep. And that’s why I’m asking...hoping for someone willing to share their diamond in the rough.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Dalmatian Islands off the Coast of Croatia. Barcelona is a major city, so not very touristy.

Dana Pointe or Laguna Beach, CA is nice, but I'm partial.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budget? Hang out in a VRBO condo or 5 star hotel? When the wife and I do Maui (a lot because our daughter and her family live there) we take the VRBO route so we don't have to pack so many clothes and save some $ on not eating out every meal. YMMV. There's also the all inclusive resorts in Mexico (Cancun). FYI we don't do Mexico anymore, that whole cartel thing is problematic for us.

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Bora Bora ? Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you consider rough or your budget. Some of these places may be recovering from the recent storms too.
The British Virgin Islands was fun every time we went there. We're sailors so we could bareboat charter and go where and when we pleased. We also ate most of our meals on the boat and bought our own liquor or beer.
That kept the cost much lower than staying in a hotel and eating out all the time.

https://www.expedia.com/Britis...nation-Travel-Guides

https://www.moorings.com/speci...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.moorings.com/speci...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Siesta Key Florida. Best beach in the USA, Nice bars and restaurants, driving to Sarasota is close, nice mall there if you want.

Only a little touristy.

Temps Probably be in the 50's or 60's.

Posts: 1570 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6 months ago I would recommend Hope Town Bahamas

Dorian has devastated that destination for years to come.

BVIs or USVI Maybe Spanish Virgin Islands Puerto Ricco.

I have heard they are recovered from Florence somewhat.

ymmv
John

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Cuba?

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14147 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jaco Costa Rica.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I like Daytona. Hope to snowbird there. Cheap flights on Allegiant to Orlando. Beaches won't be crowded then. Ocean front motel under $100 a night unless your tastes are higher. Usually no problem smoking on the balconies.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Key West. As wild or as mild as you want. Cigar centric. Really great restaurants. No mysterious tourist deaths. Winter is the peak season so not many deals but we love it. Delta flies in about four flights per day.

Posts: 1654 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
Key West.

Bingo. Still in the US of A, yet a whole different world.

Posts: 3860 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Sanibel. Florida Gulf Coast

Been three times. Beautiful.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Harbour Island Bahamas

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ll go with the Riu Palace, Costa Rica.

http://www.riucostarica.com

Posts: 6392 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Anegada island, BVI. Not heavily travelled and great people. Best beaches in the BVI. When we sail in the BVI, we make a point to spend two days there. Anegada Reef Hotel is good or Anegada Beach Club (pricier I suspect).

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
Key West.

Bingo. Still in the US of A, yet a whole different world.

He said "not too touristy." Key West is the single most touristy spot I've ever been in my life.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post