New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gabby Petito Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just like Laci Peterson, Casey Anthony, etc.
These stories say as much about the watchers. They wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for the ratings.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
This story has the four main requirements to ensure high viewership; young, pretty, blond and plenty of videos and photos available.

If she and her boyfriend were self-proclaimed YouTube stars, it makes sense that YouTube would be all over it.

"Pretty, young girl goes missing" is always going to be a big story. Every man who has a daughter is concerned that something like this could happen. My 20-something year old daughter likes to hike and travel these big national parks too.
However, the self-proclaimed YouTube star aspect of this is what feeds fuel to this and makes it particularly lurid and distasteful.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Honestly, for my part not posting about it wasn't so much forbearance as it was it simply never occurred to me the story would have been the least bit interesting.

Sure, it's a tragedy and important to her, her boyfriend, their friends and their families, but that's it. Beyond that it's just the media doing what the media does.

The whole thing does serve as an excellent example of why my wife and I don't watch that nonsense anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I finally broke and offered a sound bite.

I've been burned twice by "reporters." I was warned by an ex-girlfriend who'd been a reporter never to talk to reporters. Those incidents taught me why. I'll never again talk to a reporter--other than to politely tell them to get the frack away from me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
This guy lives relatively close to my house. I can only assume that it’s been a major story on the local news. But I hadn’t heard anything about it until a friend who is visiting nearby texted me about it. I don’t watch the news.

I did a quick Google search after he texted me and within a few minutes I remembered why I don’t watch the news. There was nothing of any value in any of the sources I did read, it was all speculation and assumptions, mostly based off of the couples social media postings. I’ll find out in a year or so what happened. I can wait until then.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This goes way beyond cable news and local network news. The whole subculture of reddit and 4chan unsolved crime has descended on this like a ton of bricks.

Everyone and their grandmother thinks of themselves as a capable internet sleuths.

If you watch the video's of the other traveling couple whose camera was left running as it passed a white transit van. It had Florida plates, or so they say. but from both coming and going you can't actually see the plates. People say the rear door was closing, it wasn't, they say there are flip flops on the ground, its rocks, they say there is a reflection of a bruised girl in the glass, there isn't, the worst is they say there is a shape across the creek digging. It isn't it is a log, debris, or a trunk.

All of these supposed things people make up detract, and confuse the facts of the case. It will likely damage any trial or jury in the area if one is needed.

It goes on for hours, no one can prove that the van in question is actually the couples. It looks similar, but it is a very popular micro camping setup. I spent a good hour diving through youtube's comment sections yesterday and everyone is sure of this or that. I came to the conclusion that this is as much about feed our lust for the macabe as any other tragedy.

I have questions, but like any other thing like this. I will wait till after the professionals get done with their investigation.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s a local story here. The Off button is the only way to avoid it as they will break in to any other programming and run their yaps or it’ll show up as a ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Although I agree with the sentiments express here I do believe that if this story didn't blow up like it did they wouldn't have found her so fast, if at all. And I think Gabby's family is fine with that, because it means Gabby gets to come home.

I have a cousin that went missing in February of 2019. I know for a fact that his mother would love for the entire country know about his disappearance because that means their is a better chance of something being found and getting answers.

https://www.wkrn.com/unsolved-...pened-to-chad-wiles/

The lady that found the footage of the van is the lead that led them to the body.

And I'm sure she truly believes that her deceased child led her to Gabby.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
She was found on the ranger district I retired from. It’s kinda disconcerting but to have a clear 360° picture in your mind of Spread Creek. It makes my connection to her somehow real.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's not that they mention it in the media - I think they should.
I don't understand why they picked this particular crime to dwell on and showcase.
Just stop with the endless speculation and wait for the evidence then report that and whatever discussion from there is fair game, IMO.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Timely article in the Epoch Times this morning:

In Petito Case, Media Show Contempt for Justice System

The leading news item in most American network newscasts the last few days has been the distressing saga of Gabby Petito, an attractive young lady who was traveling across the United States in her van with her fiancé, and whose corpse has apparently been found in the wilderness of Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

Every civilized person can understand and share in the sorrow of the family and friends of such a prematurely deceased young person. But unfortunately, even the more responsible elements of the national media do not seem prepared to leave
it at that.

continued

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I don't understand why they picked this particular crime to dwell on and showcase.
Just stop with the endless speculation and wait for the evidence then report that and whatever discussion from there is fair game, IMO.

Missing White Woman Syndrome

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Missing White Woman Syndrome

Umm >>> NO .

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This case checks a lot of boxes the media seeks and traits that pathetic gossipy people seek-out:

- Young couple
- Engaged
- Traveling around the country
- Attractive (relatively) female
- Living the 'van life'
- Relationship that has incessant arguments
- One person returns, the other is missing
- The returning person refuses to cooperate
- That returned person is now missing
- A body has been found

The movie writers are salivating, putting structure around a script, studios are rubbing their hands looking for a producible script

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I was about to say something similar.

I am not in the camp of saying this case is being pumped to generate misdirection from other issues. I'm in the camp of saying this case is being pumped to generate ratings. In the end the news has become a profitmaking business. This case plays to a lot of prurient interests of a large number of potential views, so it puts eyeballs on the screens. That's all this is.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
This case checks a lot of boxes the media seeks and traits that pathetic gossipy people seek-out:

- Young couple
- Engaged
- Traveling around the country
- Attractive (relatively) female
- Living the 'van life'
- Relationship that has incessant arguments
- One person returns, the other is missing
- The returning person refuses to cooperate
- That returned person is now missing
- A body has been found

The movie writers are salivating, putting structure around a script, studios are rubbing their hands looking for a producible script

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Timely article in the Epoch Times this morning:

In Petito Case, Media Show Contempt for Justice System

The leading news item in most American network newscasts the last few days has been the distressing saga of Gabby Petito, an attractive young lady who was traveling across the United States in her van with her fiancé, and whose corpse has apparently been found in the wilderness of Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

Every civilized person can understand and share in the sorrow of the family and friends of such a prematurely deceased young person. But unfortunately, even the more responsible elements of the national media do not seem prepared to leave
it at that.

continued

I would call this ironic. Calling out media for irresponsibility, but posting what is bolded above.

The Spread Creek area is not “wilderness,” neither big “W” nor little. It’s not GTNP either, it’s National Forest. But hey, they got Wyoming right.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
On one hand I hate how the MSM capitalizes on the "Crime de Jour", but on the other hand I believe it's important that the general population understand how the investigative/prosecutorial/justice system really works. Our system of justice requires an informed electorate, but how do they become informed, if those doing the "educating" misinform or concentrate solely on the more violent or lurid aspects of a case to merely "sell soap" (advertising time)?

I don't have an answer, but I know as much frustration as I've had dealing with those who have unrealistic expectations about how cases can be properly resolved (the "CSI Syndrome"), it pisses me off to no end that non-LEOs who make up the majority of our citizenry and will end up as jurors (if they do their part), don't seem to know even the most basic foundations of our criminal legal system. What are the meanings of: Presumption of Innocence, Reasonable Suspicion and the difference between this and Probable Cause (to arrest)? What's a lawful detention? What is and is not the lawful use of force? All of these questions are important not just because they can be addressed in our political discourse, but because the ARE being used by politicians to steer the way our country is being run. When demagogues take advantage of the electorate's ignorance, we are all harmed.

Where I formerly lived (CA), politicians went to great lengths to hide the results of criminal cases, requiring a "Need to know-Right to know" about dispositions, where the accused may have gotten "sweetheart" deals in exchange for guilty pleas. An informed electorate might not have put up with this shit and certainly wouldn't have elected a Soros enabled Leftist (George Gascon) as District Attorney, who's main goal is to release as many offenders as possible and chalk up the consequences as "Restorative Justice."

As to the double edged sword of publicizing changes in science and investigative procedures, I'm dismayed when I see that offenders will use their knowledge to their advantage, but know that I've picked up things from "True Crime" programing that helped me be a better investigator, because even the best of formal training is frequently behind the learning curve. I guess in the end, our constitutionally recognized Freedom of Speech and the Press presents the best and worst of our country and institutions. We'd love to see our news providers use self-discipline to the benefit of viewers, but recognize censorship is counter to the foundations that make this country great.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
The media is not going to change as it has a unending supply of mindless zombies that continue to watch and feed off their drivel. All I can do is not watch. That is the only control I have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
...but on the other hand I believe it's important that the general population understand how the investigative/prosecutorial/justice system really works. Our system of justice requires an informed electorate, but how do they become informed, if those doing the "educating" misinform or concentrate solely on the more violent or lurid aspects of a case to merely "sell soap" (advertising time)?

That was the supposed premise of show hosts like Nancy Grace and others, creating 'legal entertainment' programing, however they all spiraled deeply into the Entertainment portion of the pool, and much less the Legal portion.

The Casey Anthony-case, Duke lacrosse, Amanda Knox, Elizabeth Smart, Laci Peterson...all generated 24hr coverage with hosts and guests, expressing 'outrage' and breathless commentary over EVERY, SINGLE, ITEM, to hell with daytime soaps and evening legal dramas, the real thing is going on RIGHT NOW! Got insomnia, thinking about the case, turn-on the TV.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Had a medic call/domestic thing in the trailer park the other night that I assisted on. 20-30 people who had nothing in it come out of the woodwork to stand around, gawk, yell their opinion, and generally agitate everyone into hysterics. I ended up yelling at a bunch of people to go home, which thankfully was moderately effective this time.

This case is just the national news media/ internet version of that.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
The media is not going to change as it has a unending supply of mindless zombies that continue to watch and feed off their drivel. All I can do is not watch. That is the only control I have.

There it is.
I came here to post this.

The voracious appetite for such is what drives the production of such vile garbage.

It's a mass sickness of the mind.

Same with Lacy Petersen, Holloway, OJ and others.

I never sought the news on them and if I were a contestant on a game show featuring these subjects as the basis, I would be the loser.

Just do not need to feed my soul.

And as Para stated, I get enough of it that bleeds out of the pores of everything around me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post