Find
Notify
Tools

Gabby Petito Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
First, let me say I am grateful you guys have refrained from posting anything about this woman's disappearance and death.

I'm not posting to talk about the details of this case. I'm posting because I'm sickened at how the mainstream media and countless youtube channels are feeding off of this poor woman's death. I don't watch any of these stories. I can tell you much about this story by the youtube thumbnails and video titles alone:

She had a youtube channel with her boyfriend. They traveled around to state parks and the like. She disappeared in August and her body was found a couple of days ago. Her boyfriend has now disppeared and police have executed a search warrant on his (or his parents) home. I know this from just the thumbnails and video titles on youtube videos. There are tons of these videos.

It's disgusting. This kind of behavior reflects some of the worst of humanity. Why don't they just put up a fucking circus tent and sell tickets?

Again, I don't want to talk about the case. I'm talking about the sleazy way people are capitalizing on her death, to get views for their videos, and the usual bullshit from mainstream media. And while the boyfriend may have murdered her, it doesn't matter, because he's already been convicted in the press and on youtube. This shit needs to stop. It won't of course, but, if I could, I'd take a Goddamned flamethrower to these fucking jackals.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Lifetime is already typing the script for the prime time movie, too.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have not been following it. First I have heard about it. Honestly, I hope when they find him he resists or off's himself. A very sad thing that she was taken. Prayers for her family.

Sorry, I have turned off the media for years.

I feel like it dates back to the beginning. Humans have always be intrigued by violence (doing and watching) and the aftermath. The current media just exploits it as the current method to communicate it. Not saying that is good. Just always been that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I still have cable, I can view multiple channels that focus on murder and gore, 24/7/365.
Endlessly. Even Oprah Winfrey wades in gore these days. Gabby will be prominently featured on them soon, no doubt.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Conservative pundits believe the media is hyper-focused on this case and her tragic death as a mis-direct, to avoid having to discuss the Afghanistan debacle with those left behind enemy lines and young boys being be-headed, the botched drone strike on civilians and children, the human catastrophe at the open Southern border, the spiking inflation and concerning economic news, the recall of the French ambassador, and of course Biden's plummeting approval numbers...etc...

They are going to grind away at magnifying this singular tragedy to avoid having to report on widespread mass tragedies and concerns with national security implications.

My thoughts and prayers go out to both grieving families, but also to those whose tragedies the media has deemed too unimportant to report on.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Conservative pundits believe the media is hyper-focused on this case and her tragic death as a mis-direct,

I suppose that it's possible, but I'm more inclined to think they are just vultures. If it bleeds it leads. Pretty young girl goes missing sells.

They did the same thing with Natalee Holloway. All day every day for months/years on end. I stopped watching FNC for a time back then because I got sick and tired of seeing her picture constantly on the screen while the picture slowly and dramatically zoomed in. Hell, Greta Van Susteren is probably still talking about her case.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just had this same discussion and came to the same conclusion. Misdirection. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I have not been following it. First I have heard about it. Honestly, I hope when they find him he resists or off's himself. A very sad thing that she was taken. Prayers for her family.
Again, I didn't start this thread to talk about this case. Was I not clear? Should I type more loudly?

Furthermore, how do you know he's guilty of her murder? Tell me how you know this. Your assumption is illustrative of the problems with the media's lurid handling of an ongoing investigation. Let's kill the guy because he LOOKS guilty, and the way it looks is being played up in the press and on youtube. Is this how you would want to be treated?

And, yeah, I keep hearing how this is "misdirection" related to the FBI and/or the Biden administration. Forgive me, but if you believe this, you are forgetting all the other times the jackals in the press fed off the dead bodies of unfortunate people. They do this because it means ratings or views, and that equals money. It's as simple as that; find the most lurid, sensationalist sleaze you can and pound it in the press. This behavior is as old as newspapers themselves, and now, youtube is in on the act. There's no conspiracy here. There's just the same old jackals feeding off the dead.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I believe the news has always capitalized from blood and sensationalism. That was supercharged when the 24 hour news model was created. It's like watching a feeding frenzy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve always found the concept of “if it bleeds, it leads” type of journalism rather distasteful. I don’t understand the readership fascination with these types of articles either. BOLO or warning articles, fine. But making a buck off the misfortune of others is unseemly. That news people do it is one thing. That people do it is disgusting and I have no words for these social parasites.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the risk of trivializing a serious matter, I am reminded of the music video ‘Dirty Laundry’ by Don Henley.

https://youtu.be/YHimia_Fxzs

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
A few years back there was a fatal car crash in front of my house. I responded and was able to help a female victim, but the male in the other car was totally non-responsive.

It messed me up for a bit, all the "what-ifs" and trying to make sure I didn't miss something with him.

In my lack of sleep and ptsd fueled exhaustion, I was joined by a local reporter for a story. This guy got my info from a letter in a mailbox and the tax cards from the town. Phone calls, emails, any social media... he was relentless.

I finally broke and offered a sound bite. Next thing I know I've got a camera in my face and am being interviewed. I was still in shock, but he was only concerned with getting his story.

I actually filed a complaint on him, but it didn't go anywhere.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no misdirecting going on. This story has the four main requirements to ensure high viewership; young, pretty, blond and plenty of videos and photos available.

If she and her boyfriend were self-proclaimed YouTube stars, it makes sense that YouTube would be all over it.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I don't watch Fox News anymore but I visit their website to check headlines. Absolutely ridiculous. For the past 5 days the entire top half of the page has been devoted to this. Nothing about the border, nothing about the big spending bills in congress, nothing about the rapid inflation, nothing about the French ambassador being recalled, nothing about the disastrous drone strike in AFG or the Americans still left behind. All about the disappearance of this young lady.

People wonder why this country is falling apart? Look no further than the media, both "[un]social" and "legacy". Clicks and eyeballs come first, topics that inform Americans about the state of the nation come in a distant tenth. If not even lower.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You’d think this girl was the only person killed in the US given the obscene amount of coverage being invested. I agree that the media is using this to bury far more relevant news that is damaging to the criminal DemocRAT administration.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here at work at seeing all these headlines while browsing.

It made me think, who decides which of these stories goes "high profile"? People disappear all the time, murders happen all the time. Who decides when they go "National".

I'm sure the answer is just a Para states, whichever ones can guarantee some money and viewership but I imagine all the people who never got the help they likely deserved. How do they feel seeing another case get all the attention and resources.

Furthermore, how do the cops and detectives feel being scrutinized?

Questions I wont get answers to but funny timing seeing this thread while actually thinking about it.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Case in point - Fox News website has an entire article on top of its front page from another travel vlogger who had background footage of van, but didn’t even see let alone interact with the dead girl. Ainsley actually had this twit on her show and this narcissist revealed that she had called the dead girl’s Mom about it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The media is on concerned about selling their news. I think Don Henley got it right with his song "Dirty Laundry".

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Kraft is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my sheltered existence. I had neither heard or seen anything about this case other than a friend mentioning it to me until either yesterday or the day before, when I saw a headline in local news and decided to read it. Glad I did at the time to find out he’s not hiding in the section of Florida woods I’m in right now.

Otherwise if it’s not on Sigforum or my local news, it probably doesn’t matter. Life is easier that way. No cable, no news networks, no social media, just watching or reading what I want.

I’m not antisocial. I don’t even like ants.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post