Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gabby Petito Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I see that the press coverage and attention has finally generated accusations of racism citing “Missing white woman syndrome”. The accusation says that missing women of color are ignored but missing white woman are publicized.

This is due to racism says the accuser.

I guess sensationalism, opportunism or deflection from Joe’s ongoing screwups have nothing to do with it.

Inevitable.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Racists will never let an opportunity to spew their hate go to waste. They have an agenda just like those buying time for their commercials.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
The accusation says that missing women of color are ignored but missing white woman are publicized.

For whatever reason, it's true - the more "appealing" the victim, the more coverage they get, the less appealing the victim, the less coverage they get, instead there is more focus on the perpetrators. The murder of a missing 21 year old middle/upper class white girl generates far more coverage and attention than the killing of a 45 year old black prostitute. I've seen both.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I agree that the sensationalization of news is bonkers. To an extent, it's been that way pretty much forever. It's made worse because the girl is pretty and a pretty face seems to make things more tragic and sells more clicks. If this was a random unattractive guy that disappeared, I don't think it would get much attention.

I will, however, give the media a little credit on drawing attention to some of the lesser seen warning signs of fucked up relationships. I'm a little more sensitive to that stuff now that I have a baby girl, and I'm already thinking about how to forge her into a strong and mentally healthy adult so she doesn't put up with shitbags like him.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
As an excercise in grad school, we were to pick a topic, search local newspapers for the topic/timeframe and then report on discrepancies compared to today. Basically showing how our opinion or understanding may have evolved over time.

I chose the Whitechapel murders in 1888 . . . Yes it was Jack the Ripper. And yes it was crazy in the newspapers daily.

Another one we looked at the John Wilkes Booth and the others executed for the Lincoln assassination. My professor just asked: "when your death stands for the 'collective rage' of the mob, can it be called Justice?"

So many of these cases are tried via public social media and traditional media. The Duke Lacrosse team comes to mind. And how in the world is Kyle Rittenhouse going to get a fair trial . . . no matter what the verdict is he is doomed.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3569 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody in law enforcement see's missing persons BOLO lists on a daily basis, most are minorities, poor, not very attractive and living a life that's say...a lot of poor decisions; the news isn't going to give it any time. Children stand-out however, a major chunk turn-out to be domestic conflicts where the child is removed by one of the parents or, relatives.

Insert somebody who's attractive or, has enough attractive photos for the press, insert some background to develop an interesting story and things change, people pay attention, opinions and theories are rampant. Its some insight into the human mind and what stimulates it.

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I saw on FOX news that Nancy Grace had pushed away from her feeding trough and was on this story I knew I would have no interest in this news story.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
I see that the press coverage and attention has finally generated accusations of racism citing “Missing white woman syndrome”. The accusation says that missing women of color are ignored but missing white woman are publicized.

This is due to racism says the accuser.

I guess sensationalism, opportunism or deflection from Joe’s ongoing screwups have nothing to do with it.

Inevitable.

Funny, a few weeks ago the local media was re-hashing the unsolved missing Diamond and Tionda Bradley sisters from 20 years ago, and they are far from white.

The media.... Nothing more than fucking vultures. There are very few actual "reporters" left.

quote:
I guess in the end, our constitutionally recognized Freedom of Speech and the Press presents the best and worst of our country and institutions. We'd love to see our news providers use self-discipline to the benefit of viewers, but recognize censorship is counter to the end foundations that make this country great.

Pulli- so true!
It's not about the "freedom", it's about the abuse of that freedom, exploiting the loopholes. Only if they were all over closing those loopholes like they are about the "gun show loopholes", we might be a better informed and less sensationalized public.

I've chased more than a few reporters and cameramen off of my scenes. Scum that want to stick the camera in the face of a mother and wife who just lost 2 family members in a drowning at the beach. Scum who just need to get that sound bite from a mother who's at the scene of her kids shooting. They love to get the village idiot who "seen it all!" When they were 5 blocks away and around the corner. Yet low information people lap that shit up like a kitten doesn't milk.

And it's not just low information people, look at any traffic accident- gawkers of all types stare with their maw open looking to see some gore from a nice safe distance.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nightcrawler*

Those in the media: Nightcrawlers
Those in the audience: Nightcrawlers

*re: film of same name

Not news, sick entertainment.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43799 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
People want to watch the train wreck,

This was part of the theme in The Dead Pool, An aggressive reporter shoving microphone and camera in bereaved girlfriend of Johnny Squares after he's found dead from drugs, Callahan tosses the camera and breaks it all the while the press publishes the dead pool list and interferes with the investigation of a death.

Art imitating life...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Nightcrawler*

*re: film of same name

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
This was part of the theme in The Dead Pool

Also relevant is another film, Gone Girl, about a missing woman, which had a prominent subplot about the overzealous media vilifying her husband.

Or the real-life biopic "Richard Jewell" (directed by Clint Eastwood), about the media circus surrounding an innocent security guard who they tried to paint as the culprit behind the Atlanta Olympic bombing.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corsairs take on it is dead on.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Consider Evelyn McHale, who jumped to her death from the Empire State Building in 1947.

She was young, attractive and white. Engaged to be married to (by all accounts) a great guy. Even the photo of her corpse lying on top of the crumpled car that she hit was described as, "technically rich, visually compelling and ... downright beautiful".

Had Evelyn been a 6' tall 300lb black prostitute named Sheena who walked over from Times Square, she surely would not have garnered the attention that she did.

Who knows what causes it? Money? Fame? A sick culture? Racism? Human nature? All of the above? Whatever the reason, it's been going on for years.

I think the best that we can do is just turn it off.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think the worlds always been this fucked up, we just didn't see it every day.

Back then news was regional, stories like this didn't make mainstream unless it's the Lindbergh Baby or some high society person involved.

Local murders remained local stories, and never got much national attention and groups trying to raise their platform nationally was next to impossible.

Now days, digital press, social media, everyone has platform, the ability to pontificate their position, good or bad from behind the keyboard on their cell device, you can express your ideas, feelings, distaste, whatever you like, and it congeals into a biomass of morons who trample everyone that gets in the way of the story.

Every story is an opportunity to exploit someone or something for some cause.

God is great, beer is good,,, people are crazy

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each time I get served a piece of fish, I poke it and ask:

"Anne Marie Fahey, is that you"?

yes, that is sick.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nightcrawler is IMO one of the best and most visceral indictments of the American corporate media and its local affiliates in existence. You can’t help but feel a bit dirty after watching it even though it is quite eye opening. It is one of my favorite films. (Probably because it attacks the media quite effectively)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I ran across a post on Facebook today, shared by a friend, that was a 20 plus step analysis of the entire situation. The person who issued this analysis.... an author that appears to spend most of her time writing romance and intrigue novels.

Yes, you're quite qualified Roll Eyes

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37912 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I wondered about the amount of air time the story has. I figure there's a lot of people who go missing each year but they don't get as much media coverage as this. My wife said it's because there's an ex-police that's a relative to the family who gave the family advise on how to publicize her missing.

But after the body was found, I don't get that the media is still playing the story up even when there's no new information.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I think the worlds always been this fucked up, we just didn't see it every day.

That's my take on it, too.

On April 18, 1930, the BBC announced, "There is no news today," and followed it up with music. I'm sure shit hit the fan all over England that day, but they didn't have an internet to blab about it. It wasn't seen, so it didn't happen.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2063 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(sigh) There's serious cheddar in being a jackal. Then again, there's also a lot of aimless souls who enjoy being FED this sort of morbid crap. The vultures wouldn't chase this sort of "news" if they knew that no one paid any attention.

-MG

Posts: 1924 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post