SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michigan Beats Western Michigan 13 - 12
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Michigan Beats Western Michigan 13 - 12 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
This game was touched on in jmtgmx’s football survival thread, but everyone with a microphone and a football helmet on the bookcase behind them has had a take on the outcome of this game. It’s outrageous.

I thought Josh Pate’s take was the best I heard.



Oh, Boomer Sooner this Saturday.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14948 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Wife and I both watched the game and thought for sure the underdogs had won but it wasn't to be.
 
Posts: 2152 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I don't have 13 mins to listen to his take.

The explanation as to why 1 second was put on the clock seemed to make sense. So unless there is something else.
Too bad, I would of loved to seen W. Mich. win.
But the hail Mary does work sometimes in football.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21942 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Time ran out, the game was over, then some official who is not even at the game put one second back on the clock. It was total BS! Of course the fact that you can bet on these games had nothing to do with it. Nor did the fact that someone’s TV schedule was going down the tubes before their eyes.



'veritas non verba magistri'
 
Posts: 4268 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Western Michigan touched the ball with one second left. That's on the player that touched it. I like an upset as much as anyone, but I don't demand it when it hasn't occurred.
 
Posts: 2516 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The clock on the field, which both teams use to make decisions throughout the game, isn’t the real clock. Instead, the real clock is somewhere else where nobody on the field can see. Sure. Makes total sense. What a farce. And the Michigan fans, who saw their team win a championship a few years ago, rushed the field after needing shenanigans to beat Western Michigan. What a fucking embarrassment.
 
Posts: 4593 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The guy in the video is making stuff up. He says the words in the graphic he puts up says something about a secret clock and it says nothing of the sort.

A quick google search says a guy that was out of bounds jumped up, was the first to make contact with the ball, and did so with one second remaining on the clock. I looked at two different videos and neither’s resolution was high enough for me to even see the ball let alone who made contact when and who was where when they jumped.

That’s as much effort as I’m going to put into it. I’m assuming the officials saw much better footage that’s clear enough to make the determination.
 
Posts: 14923 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I started the thread, so I’m not going to just sit back and watch. My belief is that the game was over on the first Hail Mary and that Western Michigan was beaten by the B1G Conference.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14948 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Now deemed the "Bail Mary" throw. Big Grin
 
Posts: 5561 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
The clock on the field, which both teams use to make decisions throughout the game, isn’t the real clock. Instead, the real clock is somewhere else where nobody on the field can see. Sure. Makes total sense. What a farce. And the Michigan fans, who saw their team win a championship a few years ago, rushed the field after needing shenanigans to beat Western Michigan. What a fucking embarrassment.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the controversy has exploded on my Twitter feed and I have read dozens of posts about it. From what I've read, the "We used the secret clock" completely contradicts the conference rule that says the officials are to use the field clock for any calls.

That being said, Michigan should be embarrassed that they needed to a helping hand to get the win over a team they were a 27 point favorite to beat.

I see that the MAC conference has now requested a review. I hope they prevail.


_____________________________________________________________________
“One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them.” – Thomas Sowell
 
Posts: 6763 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My belief is that the game was over on the first Hail Mary and that Western Michigan was beaten by the B1G Conference.

Me too! I was watching the game because, as a Sooners fan, I will be at the Big House to watch the game this weekend. So I wanted to see how Michigan was playing.

I saw the first hail mary and 0:00 on the clock and concluded the game was over. Imagine my surprise as I was looking at the scores later and saw a W for Michigan.

I mean this is Michigan we're talking about! It shouldn't shiver anyone's timbers to learn that cheating was involved.

JP
 
Posts: 2189 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
As a non sportsball follower but a WMU alum, I'm disappointed with the outcome.

Western played a very good game against a much better opponent. It's too bad that the outcome was not decisive but rather one decided by a clock no one one the field was aware of.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
My wife is a long time NFL fan, and they don’t have a “secret clock” (that we know of). I’ve watched college football for 50 years and I’ve never heard of this secret officials clock. I grew up in Michigan and this is exactly the kind of skullduggery U of M would participate in, and never get punished for.

On the positive side, Michigan dropped out of the top 25 this morning. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch.
 
Posts: 1630 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I'm a WMU alum and as I was watching the fourth quarter dwindle down, I just kept thinking, there is no way they are going to let us win this game.

Between Vegas and all of the homer calls given to U of M I've seen over the years we would have had to be up by 4 touchdowns in the final 2 minutes for me to be able to breathe easy.

The appeal from the MAC conference was rejected.




Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

 
Posts: 976 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Apparently it was fractional seconds still on the secret official clock only visible to the replay officials. I can envision this like the fractional clock countdown in basketball, but until Saturday I think everyone in football thought when the clock clicked to zero time was out, not that there was .999999 second left still winding down in the ether.

Look, as an Auburn fan I can appreciate an extra second as much as anyone, but the Kick Six was much more clear and didn't require analysis of some invisible millisecond clock.

This video angle may add some clarity. NSFW language.

Hey Jim!



You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

 
Posts: 13696 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This atrocity ranks with FSU having a perfect win season and being denied a Championship berth!

One second on a “secret” clock… bullshit!


No quarter
.308/.223
 
Posts: 2624 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
The Kick Six was totally legit and amazing. Up here in Michigan I was losing my mind when that thing went down. I still enjoy watching that replay.

U of M may have been declared the winner, but it feels like nobody was the winner in reality. It is just one more nail in the coffin of college sports.




Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

 
Posts: 976 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Is this the same clock my wife uses when she says she is on time to leave at 5:30 but my watch seems to say 5:47. I just wish we all had equal access to this magical timepiece.


__________________________
 
Posts: 5425 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You know, with this on top of all of Michigan's scandals and violations over the last few years people may start to think that they don't play fair Smile
 
Posts: 894 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michigan Beats Western Michigan 13 - 12

© SIGforum 2026