SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anti-Gun Control capitalism at it's finest: 3D-print guns for Houston gun buyback
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Gun Control capitalism at it's finest: 3D-print guns for Houston gun buyback Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
94% profit margin and pisses off gun-control fascists!

Read about this from Don Surber's blog:
https://donsurber.blogspot.com...ews_01801063033.html

quote:

Houston Bans 'Ghost Guns' From Buyback Events After Man Found Opportunity To Print Money

Houston city officials banned 3D-printed firearms at future gun buyback events after one man recognized an opportunity to exploit the system and print money.

The anonymous man told local news Fox 26 that he made 62 3D-printed guns and handed them over in Houston's first gun buyback event last weekend. He said the city offered him $50 per gun, cutting him a check for $3,100.

The man said the cost of production per gun was $3, netting a profit of $47 per weapon. He said, "the goal was not personal profit, but to send [Houston leaders] a message about spending $1 million tax dollars on something that has no evidence of any effect on crime..."

He added another goal: to make the city "pay fair prices [at gun buyback events], use private donations rather than tax dollars, and don't destroy historic guns."

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner was not enthusiastic about the man using the gun buyback program to print money. He said the next gun buyback event "will exclude 3D-printed guns ... this is a program designed for people who want to voluntarily relinquish their guns."

"You'll always have people who will try and take advantage of the programs," said Turner. "I was there when that person brought in those guns. The reason we went ahead and did that was we had not said we weren't going to."

Even though the anonymous man made a fool of Houston city officials, Turner said Saturday's gun buyback was a success, removing 840 firearms from the streets.

What's strange is that Houston's ban on ghost guns from future buyback events comes as the federal and state governments have waged war against homemade firearms. Just look at the story count for "ghost guns" exploded after the Biden administration took office in 2021.

Pro-gun accounts had fun with the news:

Wait, so what’s the point? I was told these were the most dangerous of guns that only criminals used

— Ash (@NamesGotTaken) August 2, 2022
It seems they are afraid of ghosts.

— Broodwars (@broodwars64) August 2, 2022
LOL

LMAO https://t.co/H3vdLa2bku

— Firearms Policy Coalition (@gunpolicy) August 2, 2022
3D printers just exposed the absurdity of gun buy backs.

When there's a gun buy-back nearby, your 3D printer become a money printer.

Or no, just keep your guns

— Gaidheal Alascanach (@Gaidheal_Alaska) August 3, 2022
Fine. I will just keep all of my homemade, printed, untraceable guns. You get what you pay for.

— Pablo Dax (@FilipinoCod) August 2, 2022
Alright, now time for the pipe guns.

— Dan (@Dan16569690) August 2, 2022

Very conflicting message from Houston leaders who have said ghost guns are dangerous but don't want to collect them at buyback events...

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...ortunity-print-money

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker went to try to get some $ for an old damascus shotgun, said the line of cars was almost 2 miles long.

He turned around & went home.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I heard about our shit awful Mayor getting scammed it made me laugh.
Serves em right.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Note how all the 'Ghost Guns' are rendered inert/safe with the application of a zip tie... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Superb idea

Assholes Big Grin

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Can’t. Stop. Laughing. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I like that guy.
By excluding 3d printed guns in future buybacks (I hate that term) they're showing just how stupid the idea is.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Good for this guy!!!

I hope he uses the money to buy a nice..... gun.

The ONLY downside I see is a possible press release from the city saying, "We removed these dangerous untraceable Ghost guns from our streets, making them safer for our children."

Of course, most people don't trust such releases these days.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wait, now I'm confused....

I thought nobody could sell/transfer homemade firearms without getting a S/N and going through a bunch of paperwork.

But the city bought these? How is it legal for the city to buy these, or for the man to sell them for that matter??????

I was already told years ago that these buybacks technically have to report NFA stuff that they take in, although they almost never do. These obviously aren't NFA, but I guess this might be the same "look the other way" type of thing?

I was also told years ago my a lawyer that these buybacks are not police seizures like they do for evidence, they are indeed being bought by the city.

So can the city legally buy them?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, Just trying to learn.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll let the guy know the next time Chicago is having a "Gun Buy Back"! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Good for him. He played their system and won.

I have seen where people will line the street going into the buy back programs offering to buy guns. In some cases the people turning the guns in will get more for them.
I am sure most of the guns people are turning in are junk, but sometimes they are not and could be worth more then the buy back are paying for them.

There was a case several years ago where a woman turned up at an event with a Real World War II German STG 44. At the time it was worth over $40,000 thousand dollars. Lucky a thoughtful police officer stopped her and sent her home to see if her late husband had any paperwork on it.
I never heard the outcome of the story.
It would have been a shame if a piece of history was destroyed because of someone did not know what they had.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winner. Winner
2,000 chicken dinners

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I wonder if government ever tires or is ashamed of being dumb and played.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I followed the stories about the Houston gun buyback event. It was all kinds of stupid layered on top of stupid. First off, the amount they paid in gift cards was:
  • $50 for nonfunctioning guns
  • $100 for rifles & shotguns
  • $150 for handguns
  • $200 for automatic rifles
Don't ask me what they defined as an automatic rifle. Confused

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I have seen where people will line the street going into the buy back programs offering to buy guns.

There were guys who did exactly this. They had signs up offering cash for guns.

quote:
In some cases the people turning the guns in will get more for them. I am sure most of the guns people are turning in are junk, but sometimes they are not and could be worth more then the buy back are paying for them.

One man's gun buyback is another man's gun upgrade. Big Grin
From what I could see in news footage, everything turned in was worth less than their giftcard exchange value. Lot of rusted old guns, many Hi-points, and other Sat Night Special brands (e.g., Bryco, Jennings, Raven, Jimenez Arms, Rohm, etc).

quote:
The ONLY downside I see is a possible press release from the city saying, "We removed these dangerous untraceable Ghost guns from our streets, making them safer for our children."

That's exactly what Mayor Turner did. In his press conference, he talked out of his ass about removing ghost guns off the street. In other comments, he criticized 3D printer guys for gaming the system by selling them ghost guns, and how they wouldn't be accepted at future buybacks.

On top of all this, the DA warned the police and mayor that buying guns no-questions-asked could potentially ruin criminal investigations tied to some of those guns by breaking chain-of-custody. Also, "...gift cards further complicate the situation, because money given to a witness needs to be disclosed to the defense in a criminal case. She [Ogg] said the program could make law enforcement a party to tampering with evidence and may cause “irreparable harm” to the prosecution."

A Houston gun buyback event nets 845 guns — and prompts criticism from the Harris County DA

Here are some photos of actual guns collected from the event.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, it's ok to sell a ghost gun without engraving it, as long as one is not in the business of selling guns, i.e. does not need an FFL. But even if that's not the case, it's not like anyone can trace such a gun to whomever made it or sold it first.

I think that lady with the StG 44 ended up donating it to a museum with the help of the police.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
{ thought nobody could sell/transfer homemade firearms without getting a S/N and going through a bunch of paperwork.

"No questions asked" is always a key feature of these buybacks. They actually claim, with a straight face, that this will induce gangbangers (or, I guess anyone living with a gangbanger) to turn in their guns. Federales, politically sympathetic to the cities' needs to make symbolic gestures, can simply decline to prosecute 'in the public interest'. The guns are "off the street", and that looks close enough to good public policy "for government work".
quote:
So can the city legally buy them?

The guns are generally (or generally supposed to be) destroyed. There just wouldn't be much point in the Federales' prosecuting them.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That first guy in the red shirt with a rifle sure looked like Jussie.
Maybe doing some community service?

BTW, the STS44 story here.
https://www.fieldandstream.com...e-rifle-gun-buyback/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

Turner said Saturday's gun buyback was a success, removing 840 firearms from the streets.

I bet Houston's gun-related crimes have dropped significantly since all those street thugs and criminals turned in their guns. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If these are simply non functioning plastic replicas then isn't it the same as just turning in toy guns? Could I got to walmart and buy cheap plastic fake guns and turn them in. I don't have a 3D printer.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post