SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joe Biden on the campaign trail: "If you like your health care plan, ..." // Biden demands immediate Israel ceasefire
Page 1 ... 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 ... 628
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Biden on the campaign trail: "If you like your health care plan, ..." // Biden demands immediate Israel ceasefire Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ign=rightrailsticky2

Tina Flournoy, who is the vice president's chief of staff, will soon be leaving, for what the White House is saying amounts to personal reasons. She'll be replaced by Lorraine Voles. This announcement comes just weeks after it was shared that Harris' deputy chief of staff Michael Fuchs was also leaving.

Additionally, Symone Sanders, who was previously Harris' chief spokesperson and advisor, whose departure was announced last December. Hours later, Peter Velz, director of press operations, and Vince Evans, deputy director of the Office of Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affairs in the vice president’s office were reported to also be leaving. Last November, it was reported that her communications director, Ashley Etienne, was leaving.

Previous reports, which have used anonymous sources, have indicated that Harris is incredibly difficult to work for

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe Biden personally wrote the Infrastructure Bill with "My own paw"

https://twitter.com/RNCResearc...ll-2700-pages-lol%2F

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Joe Biden personally wrote the Infrastructure Bill with "My own paw"

If there's a line in there that says "10% for the BIG GUY". Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe Biden Has a Presentation Problem
Voters would be grateful if he stopped talking down to them and learned to be straightforward. By Peggy Noonan. BTW she used to write for Reagan.

I want to talk about Joe Biden and his unique problems presenting his presidency. You’re aware of his political position and the polls. The latest from CNN has him at 39% approval. Public admiration began to plummet during the Afghanistan withdrawal. That disaster came as it was becoming clear the president was handing his party’s progressive caucus functional control of his domestic agenda, which fell apart and never recovered.

James Carville the other night on MSNBC amusingly and almost persuasively said Democrats in the 2022 congressional elections should hit Republicans hard on their weirdo content—candidates who are both extreme and inane, conspiracists in the base. But the Democrats too have their weirdo quotient—extreme culture warriors, members of the Squad—and last summer the president appeared to have thrown in with them. That and Afghanistan were fateful for his position, and then came inflation.

But what struck me this week was a little-noticed poll from the New Hampshire Journal. It’s always interesting to know what’s going on in the first presidential primary state, but the Journal itself seemed startled by the answer to its question: If the 2024 election were held today and the candidates were Joe Biden vs. Republican Gov. Chris Sununu, who would you back? Mr. Sununu trounced the president 53% to 36%. Mr. Sununu is popular and that unusual thing, a vigorous moderate conservative who appears to have actual intellectual commitments. But Mr. Biden carried New Hampshire in 2020 with 53%. He’s cratering.

All politics grows from policies, and policies are announced and argued for through presentation, including, crucially, speeches. Joe Biden has a presentation problem. This is worthy of note because his entire career has been about presentation, specifically representing a mood. In 50 years he has cycled through Dashing Youth, the Next JFK, Middle-Class Joe and Late-Life Finder of His Inner Progressive. But the mood he represents now isn’t a good one. It’s there in the New Hampshire poll. Asked if they thought Biden was “physically and mentally up to the job” if there’s a crisis, “not very/not at all” got 54% and “very/somewhat” 42%. Here we all use euphemisms: “slowing down,” “not at the top of his game.” If Mr. Biden’s policies were popular, nobody would mind that he seems to be slowing. But they aren’t.

So to the presentation problem. Here are some difficulties when he speaks.

When he stands at a podium and reads from a teleprompter, his mind seems to wander quickly from the meaning of what he’s saying to the impression he’s making. You can sort of see this, that he’s always wondering how he’s coming across. When he catches himself he tends to compensate by enacting emotion.

But the emotion he seems most publicly comfortable with is indignation. An example is his answer to a reporter’s question in November about the administration’s plans to compensate illegal-immigrant parents who’d been separated from their children at the border. Suddenly he was angry-faced; he raised his voice, increased his tempo, and started jabbing the air. “You lost your child. It’s gone! You deserve some kind of compensation, no matter what the circumstances.” Then, catching himself, he added mildly, “What that will be, I have no idea.” He was trying to show presentness, engagement. But there’s often an “angry old man yelling at clouds” aspect to this.

There are small tics that worked long ago. He often speaks as if we are fascinated by the family he came from and that formed him. Thus he speaks of the old neighborhood and lessons. And my mother told me, Joey, don’t comb your hair with buttered toast. This was great for a Knights of Columbus pancake breakfast in Rehoboth Beach, Del., but not now. For all the mystique of the presidency, people hired you to do a job and want you to be clear and have a plan. They aren’t obsessed with your family, they’re obsessed with their family.

Mr. Biden tends to be extremely self referential: “I’ll give it to you straight, as I promised that I always would.” Because I’m such a straight shooter. It’s better to shoot straight and not always be bragging. He should lose “Lemme say that again.” When you speak to America you don’t have to repeat yourself for the slow. I don’t think he’s aware he often seems to be talking down. People will tolerate this from a politician when they think he’s their moral or intellectual superior, but they push back when they don’t, as in the polls.

The larger problem for the president is that in his most important prepared speeches there’s a lot of extremely boring faux-eloquence, big chunks of smooth roundedness, and nothing sticks. Last April to a joint session of Congress: “America is on the move again, turning peril into possibility, crisis into opportunity, setback into strength.” This sounds as if it means something—it has the rhythm and sound of good thought—but it doesn’t, really. It’s the language of the 60-second advertising spot, and America tunes it out. Not from malice but from Alice. It’s the sound of the past 40 or 50 years, meaning it’s had its day.

Mr. Biden has an opportunity to do something new, reinvent his rhetorical approach. Why not, nothing else has worked. He should commit, when speaking, to Be Here Now. He should be straightforward and modest.

When I think of what is needed at this moment in history, my mind goes to the brisk factuality, the lack of emotionalism, of Oct. 22, 1962. John F. Kennedy from his desk in the Oval Office offering 18 minutes of fact and thought. “Good evening, my fellow citizens. This government, as promised, has maintained the closest surveillance of the Soviet military buildup on the island on Cuba. Within the past week, unmistakable evidence has established the fact that a series of offensive missile sites is now in preparation on that imprisoned island. . . . Having now confirmed and completed our evaluation of the evidence and our decision on a course of action, this government feels obliged to report this new crisis to you in fullest detail.”

It was down to the bone, stark and completely compelling. The military response he explained was persuasive because it was based in fact and clearly put interpretation. He provided complicated information: “The characteristics of these new missile sites indicate two distinct types of installations.” You talk only to the intelligent this way; his listeners were aware of the compliment. He didn’t stoop to them but assumed they’d reach to him.

He wasn’t self-referential: He didn’t say “as I promised,” but “as promised,” because putting himself in the forefront would be vulgar. It was “this government,” not “my government.” He said, “This nation is opposed to war. We are also true to our word.” He was declaring the American position while putting the virtue of it on America, not himself.

You say: Well, that was a crisis, you cut to the chase in crisis. But our political moment is pretty much nonstop crises, and there are more than enough national platforms for emotionalism.

All politicians could learn from this approach. They have no idea how refreshing it would sound, how gratefully it would be received: “I’m not being patronized by my inferiors!” How people might listen again.

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/j..._opin_pos_2#cxrecs_s

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Biden holds up Portland as model for America, foresees expanded Senate majority
By Monica Showalter

Is Joe Biden, or whoever is handling him today, aware of his latest "optics"?

Get a load of what he's been up to:

President Joe Biden stopped in Portland for a few hours Thursday afternoon to drum up excitement for his administration's trillion-dollar effort to revamp the nation's roads, bridges, airports and railways.

Biden's speech was part pep talk, part explainer.

"Oregon and America have gone from being on the mend to being on the move," Biden said. "We just gotta get the hell out of our own way."

Oregon? Portland? Seriously? That's like touting Flint, or Detroit as the great model upon which to build back all of America. Do his handlers think these things through -- or is Portland the only place out there that will step up to serve as his model?

Portland is a disastrous antifa-infested mess, a pit of drugs, crime, and homelessness, with corporations and citizens pulling up stakes to flee the city. Its infrastructure is a mess in no small part because city officials are so busy handing out the city coffers to the homeless instead of repairing the roads, and antifa is busy trashing and burning it. Any city like that would have infrastruture problems. Joe says he's coming to transfer money from other taxpayers to fix Portland up -- so antifa can burn it down again. Neither Biden, nor Portland Democrats talk about getting rid of antifa.

https://www.americanthinker.co...senate_majority.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oregon? Portland? Seriously? That's like touting Flint, or Detroit as the great model upon which to build back all of America. Do his handlers think these things through -- or is Portland the only place out there that will step up to serve as his model?

^^^^^^
Nah. More like Somalia. Maybe he will visit there. He has a real optics problem. Read what Noonan says above.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Biden says US spending billions to make military vehicles 'climate friendly'

"We’re going to start the process where every vehicle in the United States military, every vehicle, is going to be climate-friendly — every vehicle — I mean it."

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...les-climate-friendly

From the comments:
"The rainbow VOC-free organic paint will help the electric tanks slip through the cleaner air and get better mileage. They will also use sugar-free cluster jelly beans as projectiles so as not to hurt anyone."

- - - - -

So we'll be eco-friendly about blowing crap up and letting it burn, right? Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll see what happens between the Dems starting the process and (if it happens) completing the process. I haven't seen that many mercury-filled light bulbs lately.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

"We’re going to start the process where every vehicle in the United States military, every vehicle, is going to be climate-friendly — every vehicle — I mean it."

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...les-climate-friendly

From the comments:
"The rainbow VOC-free organic paint will help the electric tanks slip through the cleaner air and get better mileage. They will also use sugar-free cluster jelly beans as projectiles so as not to hurt anyone."

- - - - -

So we'll be eco-friendly about blowing crap up and letting it burn, right? Wink

Climate friendly military vehicles? This is coming from the same fool who rode a fuel guzzling 747 to the West coast, and back, on Earth Day, to give a speech about tree hugging. They don't see the irony in this.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

Our enemies and adversaries must be laughing their collective asses off at this illegitimate regime, and happy that their ‘investments’ in the FJB crime family and the rest of his like-minded ilk are paying off quite handsomely.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
Climate friendly military vehicles? This is coming from the same fool who rode a fuel guzzling 747 to the West coast, and back, on Earth Day, to give a speech about tree hugging. They don't see the irony in this.

Oh! Not just that, but locked down a number of highways and some interstates, leaving many hundreds of motorists idling in place, and helicopters to carry around The Beast and his entire security detail so he’d be safe, of course. He flew right over me on my drive home from work yesterday, in his big ‘ol military transport chopper. I got lucky - roads I took weren’t locked down, but I drove past 167 which was locked down in both directions for miles, and 18W, which was also. 18W was empty for many miles, then I found where it was stopped. There were people standing in the median. Cars sitting still, again, for miles. My exit was backed up like I’ve never seen it, so I went one further.

ALL those additional emissions. On Earth Day. To sign an order protecting old growth forest from… forest fires. Yep, Former Vice President Biden’s gonna save our forests by flying out here, creating unknown levels of added carbon emissions, and he’s gonna sign a piece of paper (MADE OUT OF A TREE), to protect trees from fires that have been made worse by the policies of the President he served in office with. Un-fucking-believable, this guy.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I’m grateful for being a member here, and this thread especially, here in the state that puts “Spirit of America” on its license plates, people in Boston, Greater Boston,Suffolk, Middlesex, Essex and Norfolk counties think he’s the best ever and are glad he’s President, the TDS here is still out of control, I see people still with Masks in stores, the subway, court and outside. I know other people who are literate, educated and articulate people who are on 4 or 5 vaccines and have no co-morbidity. In my neighborhood many places have signs that say “For your safety we encourage mask use.” Places I won’t go in. There are people here who are already starting to campaign and form Biden’s re-selection campaign. Two lawyers I work with are hoping if the Democrats control the House and Senate again there will be a way to allow the Kenyan another shot at the White House. If it weren’t for coming to a place of normalcy like this, I’d be lost.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between Manuel Noriega and Joe Biden?

Noriega admits he rigged the election to win

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"America is a nation that can be defined in a single word: Ahza foot himinimim footim..."

Fuckin' eggplant!!

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
When most officials give a speech, or have a news conference, you see someone off to the side doing sign for the hearing impaired.

I don't think I've ever noticed one when Biden talks. Can you imagine someone trying to do that? I mean, how could they possibly convey what he's saying, when they have no idea what he's saying?

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Actually they do use one. But he's the same signer used for Obama in South Africa at Mandela's funeral. After all, he was just making up the hand gestures anyway so he's perfect.

https://www.theguardian.com/so...er-making-it-up-fake

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Once again, the nominal leader of the free world can't get his phone calls answered. Disgraceful.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Once again, the nominal leader of the free world can't get his phone calls answered. Disgraceful.

Think what the call would be like....like talking to your aged grandfather with dementia.....Everyone wants to avoid that awkward phone conversation.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White House Visitor Logs Reveal Meetings Between Hunter Biden Business Partner and Joe Biden

https://www.theepochtimes.com/...oqROXiQfY1lf%2FdZktk

The White House is so far not commenting on reports that a close business associate of President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, made several visits to the White House while the elder Biden was serving as vice president during the Obama administration.

Eric Schwerin, the former president of Hunter Biden’s now-dissolved investment firm Rosemont Seneca Partners, visited the White House at least 19 times from 2009 to 2015, according to White House visitor log records reviewed by The Epoch Times and first reported by the New York Post.

The logs show that Schwerin met directly with then-Vice President Joe Biden in the West Wing on Nov. 17, 2010. And Schwerin also had several meetings with White House aides during times when Hunter Biden was securing multi-billion dollar deals overseas, including in China.

The meetings call into question claims made by Joe Biden that he was not involved in Hunter’s business affairs.

“I have never spoken to my son about his overseas business dealings,” Joe Biden said in 2019.

When asked by a reporter Monday why Schwerin had access to the vice president and what the meetings were about, White House press secretary Jen Psaki did not offer any details.

“I don’t have any information on that,” said Psaki. “I’m happy to check and see if we have any more comment.”

Schwerin’s involvement in the personal and professional lives of the Biden family was first revealed by the Post citing emails from a laptop abandoned by Hunter Biden at a Delaware computer repair store in April 2019.

The Post’s initial reporting on the laptop during the 2020 election detailed how Hunter used his father’s political power as leverage in overseas business dealings. The article was banned for a time by Facebook and Twitter, labelled as “unsubstantiated” by other news outlets and as “Russian disinformation” by intelligence agents and members of the Biden campaign.

The New York Times published a report last month, more than a year after the fact, claiming to authenticate the emails from the laptop by citing anonymous sources.

The White House has refused to comment on the laptop in the wake of The New York Times article.

Republicans in Congress are renewing promises to investigate Hunter Biden with the latest revelations about Schwerin’s access to the White House.

”Not everyone gets to meet the vice president of the United States in the White House. The press should be asking why Hunter Biden’s business associates—like Eric Schwerin—had that privilege and were given access to the Obama White House,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) told the New York Post. “This is additional evidence that Joe Biden lied when he said he never discussed Hunter’s foreign business dealings. It’s well past time for the corporate media to demand the truth from Joe Biden. The corruption of Biden Inc. must be exposed.”

“It’s increasingly obvious that Hunter Biden’s business revolved around providing access to his father and the highest levers of power. It reeks of pay-to-play. The clear solution is a Special Counsel investigation to fairly investigate the disturbing allegations of Biden family corruption,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) also told the Post.

There is currently an active Department of Justice investigation into Hunter Biden’s tax filings. House Republicans have vowed to subpoena the younger Biden before Congress to answer questions if the party takes back control of the House in 2022.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post