SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We got asked if we are a “minority vendor”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We got asked if we are a “minority vendor” Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
And I’m playing dumb, asking them what they mean.

(For the record, I do not sell people from ethnic minorities, or of any other extraction.)

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Tell them you are smaller than Baskin Robbins, so....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Better drop vanilla, butter pecan, and all other non-ice-creams-of-color from the menu!

And let's not even talk about moose tracks, "separate but equal," hah!

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I kinda want to see if I can set them up for a law suit - and I kinda want to have my buddies who set up a “procurement company” owned by service disabled minority vets, fill the contract.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
These days, give me a good reason you shouldn't self-identify as a triple minority (I'd go for Latinx Trans-female) and dare them to suggest you're not.

Go get that contract!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16258 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do you mind if I ask just who is asking you such a thing?

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Are there many vendors of the product or service you sell? No? You're a minority vendor. Or, if there are many, are you a smaller vendor with a smaller market share than many or most others? Yes? Minority vendor.

QED Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If you're a Republican in many states you are a minority.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If your wife is part owner the answer is yes

Gov't bid?

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Place I worked in the late 90s was owned by a couple. In order to get a leg up on contracts, they set it up with the wife as “51% owner.” Worked like a charm cause they could say it was woman owned.

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I kinda want to see if I can set them up for a law suit - and I kinda want to have my buddies who set up a “procurement company” owned by service disabled minority vets, fill the contract.

Careful. The laws are stupid and discriminatory, but Uncle Sam can and will drop the hammer on you for attempting go go around. Background.

They go after this frequently because it's low hanging fruit and the fines and settlements are huge.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Gov't bid?

Thought about doing this might be the way to go...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Gov't bid?

Thought about doing this might be the way to go...

A casual friend of mine, arguably the best Audio Engineer in the West Coast, set up his company with his wife as the "owner." Got all sorts of government contracts.

And when I bid on government jobs, they always asked if I was a minority and I checked the "no" box but they also asked if my company was Veteran owned and I checked "yes." That got me a bunch of jobs.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Do you mind if I ask just who is asking you such a thing?

All fed.gov procurements have requirements for participation by:
- Woman owned
- Minority owned
- Disabled
- Service disabled
- HUBzone
- Ability One (in their new name I can’t recall)
and other businesses.

In addition there are set-aside, often no-bid contracts for those groups.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31359 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
You're working for a living. These days, that makes you a minority.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20295 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd be a failure as a business owner because if someone asked me a question like this, I'd be inclined to tell them to go fuck themslves.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Place I worked in the late 90s was owned by a couple. In order to get a leg up on contracts, they set it up with the wife as “51% owner.” Worked like a charm cause they could say it was woman owned.

A local entrepreneur where I used to live decades ago did a seminar on starting a small business. He and his wife are black. So his wife is 51% owner and they get to check 2 boxes. They went after all kinds of government contracts and easily won many of them.

Posts: 9396 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

A local entrepreneur where I used to live decades ago did a seminar on starting a small business. He and his wife are black. So his wife is 51% owner and they get to check 2 boxes. They went after all kinds of government contracts and easily won many of them.

How do you think DOD contracting works?

High ranking retired officers married to nonwhite women, create 8A contracts all the time and then hire people like me to fulfill them.

They just skim quite a bit off the top representing race and gender preferences to the Taxpayer… while a horse-lord Viking type does all the work. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I’m playing dumb...)

If you play too dumb, you'll sound like the majority!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2827 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't see why you couldn't get the contract and subcontract it to fulfill your obligations, as long as the contract allows it, and revenue exceeds the cost so it's profitable for both.

As to the lawsuit, why, time and money waste, either you want the contract or not, if not, walk and do something else, or, subcontract it.