SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stubborn porcelain stains in toilet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stubborn porcelain stains in toilet Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
We have big iron problems. Try the WORKS liquid. Blue version for toilets. I buy in Michigan and Florida dollar stores for a buck a plastic bottle. The green version is awsome on sinks and fiberglass showers. Please try it, it really works.
The works has worked excellent every time I’ve tried during my many moves.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I had this too, about two months ago, used WD-40, worked like champ.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
……..worked as a janitor for 8 years. Try some Dawn dishwashing solution. Give the bowl a good scrubbing with it. Pour a little of the solution into the bowl, to just above the water level to get the ring out.

WD-40 does work as well.

Stay away from acids and abrasives unless absolutely necessary. If it's rust, go with a product called Powerhouse. Be careful, it's a hot chemical.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've used a razor blade scraper to get rid of calcium rings. Then follow with CLR, Scrubbing Bubbles, white vinegar, etc.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How old is the toilet? If they are old and not water efficient, it’s worth replacing it.

A decent new toilet can be had for $200 and they aren’t really hard to change out.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
How old is the toilet? If they are old and not water efficient, it’s worth replacing it.

6 years old, relatively nice/high end toilet, I'd rather not replace 4 of them if I can find another solution.

Will try the above suggestions and see how it works out. Thanks to all for the help.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Magic eraser, but I think the damage is done. The coating is hanging on to the hard water in that area.
I cleaned mine spotless and 1yr later it's back.
Gotta be the hard water here. I've not had it in any of the other homes I've owned.
Looks terrible :/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used this on the our toilets - we're in limestone country here so lots of scale buildup - this stuff 'smoked' when it hit it and aggressively started bubbling it off. A couple treatments and the bowls were clean. I even poured some down the fill tube to get it at the holes in the rim and it really helped with flushing.

Santeen Acid cleaner

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Jesus, can't find a way to downsize the massive iPhone pic. Imagine not just a ring, but a dusky trail down from the rim under each and every water inlet under rim at top of bowl.

The wet sanding is a good idea, as is pumice.

Coke, well, not so much given prior efforts that are FAR beyond that.

Try emailing it to yourself. Then select size at prompt before you get the send button.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the suggestions - didn’t want to be that guy who doesn’t follow up!

The pumice stone worked great. Took it slow to not scratch up bowls but cleaned up like new.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Your water has caused micro pitting at water line in toilet.
All the sanding scraping and chemicals are not going to help more than s short while.
toilets are cheap,throw that bacteria holding crapper to the curb and go new.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a plumbing shop that carries Hercules Sizzle, with adequate ventilation, pour it down the overflow in the tank. Use a toilet brush to scrub the Sizzle around.

It is powerful, so use proper care a eye wear. It will clear the waterways and the bowl. I've revived slow flushers many a time with this process.

Edit to add: Do Not use sandpaper, it will scratch the porcelain finish and make minerals stick even more. Fluidmaster Flush N Sparkle is the best way to keep the bowl clean, without damaging tank parts too (available through Amazon)

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Lime Away.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whink- rust stain remover. You can usually find it in the grocery store where the laundry section and stain removing stuff is. It does a great job on removing rust and scaling on things. Squirt it on there, wait 5-10 minutes and whatever it is will easily scrub off.

Sandpaper on a toilet? I would never do that as you'll scratch the porcelain. What do you guys do that your toilets get so dirty you need to resort to sandpaper? In my 42 years I've never seen a toilet so bad you needed to resort to that in any of my houses.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I use clr

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen good results with oven cleaner

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post