SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stubborn porcelain stains in toilet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stubborn porcelain stains in toilet Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
We bought a new-ish house that had been lived in then empty for at least 10 months. Not sure if water was on the whole time, but we are in an area with nasty water service and the toilet bowls were pretty gunked up. Not from us, but from the drip and drain of water over time. We got them better, but not good. I'll attach a couple pics below of current status.

I've tried everything that would work on "normal" toilet/porcelain stains. Toilet bowl cleaner, Comet, bleach and this weekend drained them and rubbed CLR on the stains, let rest and still the same. The pics are after all that.

Any other suggestions besides replacing the toilets? Yeah, they work fine and they don't look nasty, but they are not what we'd normally have our toilet or any other part of our home looking like!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Coke-a-Cola works as well as anything

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I've gotten good results taking out mineral build up and such, with a pumice stone.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I use a 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Clean the bowl, squirt some more cleaner in there, and then use the sandpaper to gently clean the ring. You don't have to bear down. At first it won't seem like anything is happening and then the ring will slowly disappear.

I clean my toilets once a week but still after a year or so the ring comes back. The water here sucks. Five minutes with the sandpaper and it's gone for another year or so.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Jesus, can't find a way to downsize the massive iPhone pic. Imagine not just a ring, but a dusky trail down from the rim under each and every water inlet under rim at top of bowl.

The wet sanding is a good idea, as is pumice.

Coke, well, not so much given prior efforts that are FAR beyond that.

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I had to rebuild one of my toilet innards and fix the closet flange. So while I had it apart, I used one of those magic erasers to remove the staining right under the rim which seems to be the only place I've seen a rust-like ring. Worked like, well, magic.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
same problem here, really bad rust and lime deposits, even with a water softener. found out that " bar keepers friend" works really well
and as a last resort,a quarter cup of muriatic acid (the kind used in swimming pools) also will remove the deposits quickly

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I've gotten good results taking out mineral build up and such, with a pumice stone.

We’ve got hard water that leaves a ring in the toilets; pumice stone is the way to go

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Try some muriatic acid. You can get it a Home Despot or Lowes.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31383 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If it’s iron, try “Iron Out” available at Lowe’s

If its mineral, try muriatic acid, also available at Lowe’s

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Mike , what will the two do to a septic system. Will it kill the good bacteria. Also tried WD 40 and it did not work for me.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
400 wet dry sandpaper, 600 works too. Save the Muratic for when the drainfield clogs with grease

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sewer, not septic, so I can get crazy if needed.
Don’t want to kill neighbors fish of course.
Iron, mineral, who knows?

posted Hide Post
I've pulled the toilets before, taken them outside, and hosed them with muriatic acid. You'll want to invert it as well and use acid in the water holes under the rim. The buildup will clog them and flushing will get bad. Cost me a couple of hours and a couple of wax rings.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Sandpaper on a toilet bowl? No thanks!

Problem using coke, bleach or any liquid is it runs off as you apply it. I've been using 5% cleaning vinegar. Pour it into a small bowl, take several sheets of toilet paper and soak them in the vinegar. Apply to the stained areas for roughly 15 minutes. Remove and dispose as fits septic tank or sewer system. Scrub with a toilet brush and flush; repeat as required.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Try this stuff. Worked great for me.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Mike , what will the two do to a septic system. Will it kill the good bacteria. Also tried WD 40 and it did not work for me.

Iron out is A super oxidizer and will expend itsel on the iron...if you use too much it will kill the stuff in your septic...but you can dump some yeast in after a few hours to get more growing

The acid will neutralize itself while dissolving the scale...any excess will kill your septic fauna....you can test the ph of the effluent and neautralize it with baking soda if it gets high, but most septic tank hold thousand gallons of water and dilute the acid ....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I used sandpaper once or twice a year in my toilet bowls. Works like a charm. Put on some good gloves and have at it. It's a LOT easier than taking them all apart in the backyard and hosing them down after an acid wash.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
We have big iron problems. Try the WORKS liquid. Blue version for toilets. I buy in Michigan and Florida dollar stores for a buck a plastic bottle. The green version is awsome on sinks and fiberglass showers. Please try it, it really works.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with sandpaper if it is the right grit.

I've used 800 grit sandpaper (wet) on my motorcycle windshield with fantastic results. Years back I would use 1500 grit (also wet) rubbing out paint imperfections on my 1959 corvette.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post