SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cat owners, does your cat ever go on a walk with you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat owners, does your cat ever go on a walk with you? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We have three who can stay in the house or in the barn/garage. They choose to stay in during cold weather but usually out in the summer. All of them will follow me and the dog when we go on a walk. Sometimes showing up quite far from the house. I thought we had the only strange cats that did this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

you cat has thumbs?!?!?

be careful, Big Grin

It's called "mitten paws", and the extraneous toes are not actually opposable. However, felines with polydactyly are known to pull off feats of unusual dexterity- so yeah, watch out!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. Cat and I will sit outside in the evening, and cat will go exploring around the street. Getting her to go for a walk with me, though? I'm going to have to get a bigger yard and start the next kitten early.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm jealous. Cat and I will sit outside in the evening, and cat will go exploring around the street. Getting her to go for a walk with me, though? I'm going to have to get a bigger yard and start the next kitten early.

I'm no cat expert but I'm not so sure that it's starting them early because that failed miserably when my wife tried this on her kittens at the time. Those two cats were.... well basically like most cats I've been around. They generally enjoyed attention and being petted but otherwise were not all that interested in whatever we were doing. I'm now convinced their personality trait is mostly genetic.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
yes, 2 just about everyday, without leashes & we're the hit of the neighborhood.

perfect tuxedo + the polydactyl tabby with 6 toes on front paws.

you cat has thumbs?!?!?

be careful, Big Grin

I've got an outdoor kitty with I think six up front and seven on each rear, or vice versa. Anyway, he looks like he's on snow shoes. We had a cat that the neighbor named Chairman Mao because he killed everything he saw. The chairman ended up living with us and we could call him and he would walk with us around the neighborhood.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A stray gray tomcat adopted my 10yo daughter (and we adopted him). He walks her to the bus stop for school in the morning and sits there until she leaves.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Very cool that a cat walks your daughter to the bus, he must really appreciate his new family!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Heh, yeah my daughter says he just uses us for the "resources." Big Grin

He just showed up at the back door soaking wet, now he's grooming. He's a good cat, only vice (shared by many a male cat) is he pees on stuff.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My two walk around the yard with me every day. Just like a dog would.
I say "want to go walking" and they run to the front corner and wait for me.
When on the farm all the cats sometimes 6 or more would come to wherever I was and hang around.
One would come out in the field with me.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
There are two neighborhood tabby cats me and my dog encounter almost daily on our walks. Sometimes it's just one or the other, sometimes both of them at the same time. One in particular seems to be particularly inclined to follow us, for a bit, stop, cry when we leave her behind, then run to catch up. Once she followed us to a bridge that crosses a creek, then stayed there and cried the whole time we walked around park. They are both dog friendly and relaxed, so it was pretty easy to make friends and not trigger my dog's prey drive.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/f0cDvxPkJ6Q

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lLhhctaPTrU

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post