SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cat owners, does your cat ever go on a walk with you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat owners, does your cat ever go on a walk with you? Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Both of our cats are indoor kitties. But like a dog, shake their leash and they come running to go for a walk. Have to train them young.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
.....Sometime later Boo disappeared for a few months. Then one day while I was walking home, she came out of someone’s house and walked home with me. Then some lady came over and told us we stole her cat. I took Boo outside and said let her choose. She chose us.

17 years later, Boo is still with us and an indoor only cat now.

What a fortunate outcome for Boo.... and you!

quote:
My cats walk with me all the time, they even come when I whistle and when they feel like it. Smile

LOL yeah that's Ollie he comes to me every time I call him...... unless he has something more interesting to do.

quote:
yes, 2 just about everyday, without leashes & we're the hit of the neighborhood.

perfect tuxedo + the polydactyl tabby with 6 toes on front paws.

I bet you all are! Our last house was in town and there were plenty of cats roaming around outside but I never saw one walking on a leash much less walking with someone untethered.

quote:
Only if I'm walking toward the kitchen, where her food bowl lies.

Oh yeah Ollie and Sophie both raise an eye when I go in the kitchen anywhere near feeding time.

quote:
ridewv, looks like you have a great setup with a nice walk on your property where you, Ollie and his buddies can roam.

Dunno what nuture/nature leads to a cat that behaves that way. I don't think it's very common.

BTW, my wife (grew up in NYC and never had a pet) tried using a harness and leash on Sebastian. He didn't much care for it and it was a one time affair.

I really enjoy having ample land with trails to walk and ride my Mule or XT250 on. In addition to Ollie and myself enjoying it, Sophie the dog never needs to be on a leash and can run around wherever she wants. I feel blessed.

LOL I wonder just how many leashes and collars get sold for cats that never end up getting used?

quote:
Both of our cats are indoor kitties. But like a dog, shake their leash and they come running to go for a walk. Have to train them young.

So good for animals (and us) to get outside. Probably so, start them young.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:

Same here, Black doesn't get as excited, but Gray will come running from any part of the house at full speed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 6 indoor-only cats. I keep them indoors because I don't want them associating with the outdoor feral cats--they could contract some diseases (and fleas) that I don't want. However, several of them follow me into the bathroom, and most of them flock to the kitchen when I rattle their Temptations package. Wink

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have 6 indoor-only cats. I keep them indoors because I don't want them associating with the outdoor feral cats--they could contract some diseases (and fleas) that I don't want. However, several of them follow me into the bathroom, and most of them flock to the kitchen when I rattle their Temptations package. Wink

flashguy

I guess if they're kept inside a house there's no need for any vaccinations or tick/flea prevention right?
I do need to keep Ollie (and Sophie) up with their rabies vacs, and Ollie gets a flea and tick drop on his neck (which works somewhat) once a month, while Sophie gets a Seresto collar that has absolutely eliminated fleas and ticks.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I guess if they're kept inside a house there's no need for any vaccinations or tick/flea prevention right?
Not necessarily. My first set of two kitties I had for 18 years were eventually indoor only. Somehow, fleas found their way into my apartment, and I'd have to bomb the place like twice a year. I guess they can hop on you on the way into the house and then there it is. I've been pleasantly surprised that I haven't had that problem in this house...been here 11+ years and had the cats for 2 1/2. Knockin' on wood!!! I still get them vaccinated and checked over every year...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yep, fleas can hitch a ride on you and get inside. I periodically treat the kitties with the neck medicine for it, and it pretty much does the trick. They all had the original set of immunizations and they get updates when they visit the vet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This happened when I was growing up. My sister and I decided to accompany our dad on a walk around the neighborhood. Out of nowhere Tigger decided to join us. She'd never done anything like that before or ever again. It was an average residential neighborhood, and she crossed several streets to stay with us. She only turned back home when we started to head toward a busy intersection near the freeway entrance.

KinaCats - 1b by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Our Indy used to accompany me on walks around our property.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Ollie has some Maine Coon in him (large frame, long hair, bushy tail). My Roxanne was a Maine Coon, and she loved to follow me wherever I went. Very dog-like, which is a trait of the breed.
I bet Ollie likes being around water, too.

Posts: 3860 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Sammy Cat goes walking with me when I walk dogs.
Except when I walk Tank, my Siberian. My Shiba Inu like Sammy.

Mainly,Sammy goes to play with the !eashes.

Picture when Postimage comes back online.

Sammy Cat at lower left with Sebastian & Copper, my Shiba Inu.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RideWV - Quick question please - In your last picture your shop with the green roof is in the background...What are the multiple small devices that are sticking up on your green metal roof?.....Thanks Mark

Posts: 3332 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Those are used to prevent ice sliding off the roof.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
yes, 2 just about everyday, without leashes & we're the hit of the neighborhood.

you cat has thumbs?!?!?

be careful, Big Grin

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Fond memories of a calico we had for 14 years. We were living and working on a ranch in Arizona. My wife was pregnant and we used to walk in the evenings together everyday. That cat would trot along with us—everyday. She was an incredible cat. We had no litter box for her. There was a pet door in the back door of the house and she would go outside to take care of business. In fact, she would come and go at will. The open desert in Arizona would not seem to be a safe place for a domestic cat, given coyotes, hawks, owls, and rattlesnakes, but she thrived in it.

One day my wife and I are sitting at the kitchen table and hear this loud, persistent buzzing noise. It sounded electrical in its consistency. Turns out our cat had a Mojave braced up, inside the snake wall, out the back door. That snake was rattling furiously—until I shot its head off with a little .410 we kept at hand.

She would bring us gifts. My wife, just the other day, reminded me of the time that we one morning in bed, I said to her, “Keep calm, Tres has brought us a present.” It was a live kangaroo rat.

One Christmas, she brought in a Gambel’s quail. Also alive. Comedy to follow as that damn quail ran around under the Christmas tree.

Tres, the calico, survived a couple of moves with us. Ultimately, after we came to western Colorado, she just turned up missing one morning. Sad day

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Had cats all my life and had only one which would go around the neighborhood with us, when the whole family would walk.

Cat has to think it's a good idea of course, they're cats!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2079 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have two tuxes and one polydactyl tabby. I had 3 tuxes but one died not even a year old from a saddle blood clot. Most agonizing death of an animal I've ever seen. Glad it didn't last long. They're strays that wandered in and live in my garage. Wherever I go outside they follow me. Even if I mow the yard they keep me in sight.

I have an indoor tabby from the pound and another found on the front porch as a kitten, deaf, blue and green eyes, blind in one. If I sit down anywhere in the house they are on me. My wife says it's because I run at about 150 degrees so I'm their human heat pad.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

you cat has thumbs?!?!?

be careful, Big Grin

yep & he's brought me many presents, birds, rats, one snake.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had two Burmese cats, male litter mates. They’d follow me as I walked around Minnesota lakes.

Burmese have a dog-like affection for their owners.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
So a number of you have (or had) cats that'd walk around with you.

quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
Ollie has some Maine Coon in him (large frame, long hair, bushy tail). My Roxanne was a Maine Coon, and she loved to follow me wherever I went. Very dog-like, which is a trait of the breed.
I bet Ollie likes being around water, too.

Some time ago I was searching cat traits and came across "Norwegian Forest Cat" and always wondered if Ollie had that in him?
Water? He went over to the edge of the stream but didn't go in, course it was cold.

Norwegian forest cat

Ollie around 6 years old

quote:
RideWV - Quick question please - In your last picture your shop with the green roof is in the background...What are the multiple small devices that are sticking up on your green metal roof?.....Thanks Mark

quote:
Those are used to prevent ice sliding off the roof.

Correct some call them "snow birds" keeps the snow from coming down in a giant heap.