SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kidney stones are the worst
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kidney stones are the worst Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
Got another stone passing through. This one 4mm and it’s making a sloooooow painful journey down the ureter. Already been to the ER once and drugged up with so many narcotics I was hallucinating all day. Anyone else experience this soul crushing pain?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMB239
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago that was too big to pass. Excruciating pain, put me in the hospital. I had to have a lithotripsy procedure done to break up the stone so it would pass. Worse pain I ever felt. Now I’m dealing with an inflamed gallbladder that has to come out, not as painful as a kidney stone, but causing all kinds of issues.

Posts: 783 | Location: PA | Registered: October 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a coworker one morning curled up in fetal in severe pain.
We called an ambulance. I've had many toothaches, don't know
which would be worse.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On two occasions , yes, excruciating times at the E.R.

They were 6 years ago.
I have four more in my kidney currently. ( One is 10 mm)

Since seeing a nephrology doctor ,none has passed.

Keeping my blood pressure on the low side and drinking four liters of water a day ,
Low sodium diet .

Seems to work great for me.

Call the man .

At this point a urologist is the one to be contacting , FAST !

Or blow a kidney , either or

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
4mm? Pfffff. Child's play. Wait 'till you have a 7mm stuck in your ureter! Wink

But yea, if you have more than one, or get them regularly, time to make some dietary changes.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have had 23, 20 on the left,rest on the right. Besides staying hydrated drink fresh squeezed lemon water. The acid tends to break up the stones. I don’t wish that pain on anyone.

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple. Several of my lady friends that have had stones say its pain is worse than childbirth.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Have had 23, 20 on the left,rest on the right. Besides staying hydrated drink fresh squeezed lemon water. The acid tends to break up the stones. I don’t wish that pain on anyone.

this,

your body converts the acid into something the rounds off and smooths out the stones,

makes them easy to pass,

I've captured around 10,,, but the last scan of my kidneys showed that I was a walking gravel pit,

I typically pass one about every 2 years that I capture, who knows how many that I dont,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From experience, it is hard to believe it can hurt that bad and not kill you.

Seems to work for me, add a few oz's of apple cider vinegar to my water bottle everyday. Raises the body acidity I guess.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It’s the worst pain ever. I’ve had several and drink lemonade to help fight them. I also quit drinking cokes and sweet tea. Staying hydrated to the point of having to go pee at least once an hour is good.

Last one I had, I just got a 12 pack and started pounding them until I finally went. Helped flush the bugger out.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two and they both sucked.

One was when I was still living in Ohio and working on a hospital expansion. I passed that one standing in a porta john in about 95 degree heat.
I took so long, I didn't know if I was going to pass out from pain or heat exhaustion/dehydration from being baked in the crapper.

The second one was about 8 months ago.
It sucked.
It was the worse pain I have ever experienced.
I am talking about 10 out of 10.
I got to the VA hospital ER and they hooked me to an IV. I thought it was some high level narcotic like vicadin, oxy, etc.. NOPE.... The nurse said it was basically liquid advil or tylenol. Well got love them it worked.

I passed it about a week later in the middle of the night.
The doc told me it looked like a huge prickly prior and it was jammed in there.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yep, two of them exactly 15 years apart.
The FAA does not take them lightly, in terms of getting a Class 3 medical. I had to have multiple x-rays, etc and detailed notes from my family doctor in order to get the FAA's blessing.
Hang in there.
They do pass, eventually.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VitcimNoMore

When I went to re-enlist back in the mid-90s, I made the foolish mistake of marking the box on the medical form that i had one

Well, Uncle Sam and the Army does not take kindly to them either..

Off to X-ray I went and the results showed I had a few. Instant DQ.

About 6 months later I went and got them removed using Shock Wave Litho.

I guess it worked but for a couple of days it felt like I was worked over with sledgehammers and steel toed boots.

It took me about 14 years to learn that if I would have waited a year and kept my big trap shut, I would have been in the clear and enlisted easy peasy..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have had 10 in the least 15 years. Finally had a Doctor who checked my blood calcium and found it was high and leeching calcium from my bones depositing it in my kidney stones. yeah kidney stones led osteoporosis. Took two years of speed eating calcium and the ole brittle bone thing is gone. happily I haven't had a stone in three years(fingers crossed). Hopefully the stones are a thing of the past.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I figured I wasn’t alone. I’ve had my share over the years. Some luckily have passed with ease. This one still hasn’t and I can feel the referral pain down into the groin so hopefully it’s at the end of the line soon. Really messes up the week.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Developed an oxalate stone after a week long bike ride in 2004 after too much Cytomax (probably). Started feeling it on a Friday and didn't sleep for 2 nights. I thought the general referred pain was anything from a back strain to constipation to bowel obstruction. Had an appointment on Monday and pain had subsided and xray confirmed it was not too big to pass. I got 40 vicodin for my troubles that I no longer needed. The 5mm spikey crystal sure made its point during its short journey.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had one about 20 years ago--was about the size of a caraway seed. Very painful. Passed eventually without incident. Took the medics several hours to verify I had a kidney stone before they'd prescribe any anesthetics. I don't wish such on any person.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeriel
posted Hide Post
2 days ago, I was able to pass 2 stones that have been bothering me for severals months now. The biggest stone is almost 6mm, which is quite a relief.

Posts: 1461 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

It took me about 14 years to learn that if I would have waited a year and kept my big trap shut, I would have been in the clear

Yeah, my big trap cost me 2+ years of delays on flying. I feel your pain.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Some years ago had a coworker who was taken to hospital after being found on the breakroom floor in the fetal position...... Had a history of the stones...Test showed atleast 22 stones at that time......over the next couple of years he was admitted to hospital for treatment several times .................................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post