SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New puppy is having seizures
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New puppy is having seizures Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
So we bought a Bullmastiff pup and picked him up last Saturday. We’re in the Fort Worth area of TX, breeder is in Austin. He started having what I think are focal motor seizures Sunday and it’s happened multiple times since then. We’ve been to our vet four times trying to chase this down, finally did bloodwork today, we’ll have the results in the AM. The breeder, very kind and amicable couple, are beside themselves. They’re very concerned and want updates. I don’t know what to do, they offered us another pup and they would take ours back to care for. We’re attached to this little guy but he was quite expensive and I’m not really thrilled at the thought of potentially taking care of an epileptic dog for 8-10 years.

Suggestions? Hopefully the lab work will show us something in the morning.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Sorry man that sucks big time. I hate to say it but the best thing to do might be to trade out for a healthy pup.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2247 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:
Sorry man that sucks big time. I hate to say it but the best thing to do might be to trade out for a healthy pup.

Very hard call. I tend to agree, I just don’t want to admit it.

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
The faster the better in my opinion.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2247 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear that the new puppy is having medical problems. Am sure that you will do what is best for the pup. Prayers sent.......................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
So sorry to hear that the new puppy is having medical problems. Am sure that you will do what is best for the pup. Prayers sent.......................................................... drill sgt.

Thank you sir

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Man, that sucks for you and the puppy. No easy choice, but I would likely swap it myself, being so new.

Whatever difference / advantage you thought you saw in the one you picked would likely be forgotten n-months into a healthy puppy.

Hard call and raw deal for all, regardless. Sorry.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Man, that sucks for you and the puppy. No easy choice, but I would likely swap it myself, being so new.

Whatever difference / advantage you thought you saw in the one you picked would likely be forgotten n-months into a healthy puppy.

Hard call and raw deal for all, regardless. Sorry.

True. Good point

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I agree, sounds like the breeder is ethical. At least making it sound so. I always have a bit of skepticism when it comes to them. Once you get the info you will know what to do. Wish you the best. That is a tough one.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19206 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would see what the bloodwork shows before swapping him out but then I get attached easily.

Posts: 3929 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what you choose, sorry you're having to deal with this. It's a lose/lose as far as what choice you make from where I'm sitting. Either way could lead to heartache.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
My English Setter/Jack Russell mix started having seizures infrequently (a couple every six months...usually back to back in a few days) when she was about five. She turns eleven in a few weeks.

Our vet wants to place her medication to mitigate it if they become more frequent...so far they never had.

That said, if you aren't attached yet, I would make the tough choice now. Seizures are no fun to deal with especially if you have small children or another pet.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4200 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your dog.

My wife and I took care of a cat the had epilepsy for over 10 years. We had to give her phenobarbital 3 times a day. She would still have occasional seizures. She was one tough cookie.

I hope things work out the best for you and your puppy.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3438 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well we’re up at 1:45 with him having another episode and the subsequent crying and howling. This is just terrible. I sure hope it’s something treatable, whomever has him. Thank you all for the kind thoughts and advice.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
…. and he just did it again at 3:30. Frown

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your puppies issues. My nearly 3 year old chocolate lab has Epilepsy and suffers from seizures.

There are several medications out there to treat it, but you could still see some occasional seizures.

Our guy still has one about every 6 weeks or so, but they aren't nearly as bad as they were prior to the medication.

Good luck and I'll say a prayer for your family...

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry your new pup is struggling. I would make arrangements with the breeder to exchange pending test results. You’re right, you really don’t want to deal with this. I took in a young rescue dog with idiopathic seizures..of course the family dumping her never mentioned it until we contacted and asked about it, then it was “oh, yeah, she does that”. Every time was a nightmare, every time she was exhausted and terrified after (me, too). Then she’d recover and be the most amazing dog ever.
I spent years and $ trying to figure it out, and always felt like a failure when the next one hit. What did I forget? What did I miss? What could I do differently next time? She was with me til her teens.

Check your home and yard for anything ingestible that it may have eaten- if you haven’t already. Review diet, etc make sure water is always readily available.
It does sound as though the pup came with this problem.. I wonder if there’s any way you can hang in Austin for a long weekend to visit with the breeder and spend time watching both pups, just to be sure. Not sure if you’re planning on breeding, but I’d be extra cautious if this does turn out to be medical- maybe the pup took a bad bump on the head, etc, but if it’s hereditary.. it can be heartbreaking for whoever has to deal with it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5330 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won’t make any comments on whether to keep him or get a new puppy, but I have a question.

If he’s started on flea & tick meds, which one are you using? If it’s nexgard (or any other oral flea & tick meds) stop using it. Nexgard is the most common one but they all have a chance to cause seizures. I won’t elaborate much more than this (to avoid causing panic/confusion) but if you’re curious about it a google search can answer questions.

I’ve also read some of the flea & tick collars are starting to cause seizures as well. This is why we have chosen to use topical meds…it’s messier but less likely to cause these issues.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would return him and get a full refund (I wouldnt pick another one) . But that is me.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent, I hope whatever is decided works out. I had an epileptic Lab, it’s tough to go through.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post