SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New puppy is having seizures
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New puppy is having seizures Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
What will be best for the pup? I would think that a breeder may be better situated to care for the pup over the long term simply because this breed is their business.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank y’all again for all the suggestions, thoughts, etc. He has had 4 SZ’s since 8pm last night. This morning he pooped a small amount of mucousy, blood tinged poop. I called the vet and just got the receptionist, Dr. couldn’t get to my call at the moment. His blood work says he’s severely anemic. ?? The breeder has offered to bring us another pup this weekend and reimburse for our bills. Lord, this stinks. Hopefully the Dr. will have a path forward when we talk soon.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6999 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention.. no flea or heart worm treatment yet, so no chemicals from that. The breeders vet is an A&M Vet school grad and has lots of contacts at the school for help.

Posts: 6999 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I would return him and get a full refund (I wouldnt pick another one) . But that is me.

Agreed.
I did a search on the breed and they can have a number of genetic issues, including seizures.

We have an Aussie, our second one. About 20 years ago we got our first one and epilepsy was a known genetic problem in some bloodlines but there was no way to avoid it, other than by careful breeding to minimize the chances. Once it starts, it progresses until it gets so bad they are put down or it dies as a result of the seizures. We got our dog from a very reputable breeder that was very careful to avoid that and other potential problems.

Now we have #2, about 8 years old. He had all of those precautions plus there is now a genetic test that can be done for this and many other inherited problems. The second one had the genetic tests, x-rays of joints, and any other known issues in the breed tested. We have those documents back through the great grandparents, supplied by the breeder. That's what serious breeders do as a normal part of the process nowadays.

No matter how nice and well intended the breeder appears, I would question their skills and experience if you didn't get a similar history. Simply breeding two pure bred dogs is nowhere near enough. Real quality breeders don't make money selling their dogs due to the expense involved doing it correctly. They sell the pups to offset the costs, that may not meet the breed standard to the highest levels for dog shows, but don't cut corners otherwise. They also have strict spay/neuter contracts for good reason.

Unless you get a quick solution from your vet, I'd take them up on their offer, preferably a full refund. If you end up with another pup from them, have it quickly genetically tested for known faults and do not breed it (hopefully they also require spay/neuter).

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
One of my dogs suffers from seizures and we manage them well with phenobarbital. He is extremely happy and otherwise healthy. I am fairly certain his issues come from in-breeding. There are other meds too that help with seizures. But, I know how heart breaking it is to see them go through it!

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I understand your reluctance to, as I'm sure what's in your mind, "abandon" the puppy, but I suspect the breeder is in a far better position to care for the pup than are you. Usually breeders have made deals with their vets to get care at reduced cost. I know this is true of the cat rescue with which we work. (They, too, have stepped up to the plate to cover unexpected expenses with a couple of our new adoptees.)

So I think I'd take the breeder up on their offer to trade the little guy. I know it seems cold, but that will possibly be in the animal's best interests, as well as yours.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
220-9er makes a valid point. Something I would give much consideration to if it were me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Thank y’all again for all the suggestions, thoughts, etc. He has had 4 SZ’s since 8pm last night. This morning he pooped a small amount of mucousy, blood tinged poop. I called the vet and just got the receptionist, Dr. couldn’t get to my call at the moment. His blood work says he’s severely anemic. ?? The breeder has offered to bring us another pup this weekend and reimburse for our bills. Lord, this stinks. Hopefully the Dr. will have a path forward when we talk soon.

What do the chemistries show? All Within Normal Limits?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The breeder has offered to bring us another pup this weekend and reimburse for our bills. Lord, this stinks. Hopefully the Dr. will have a path forward when we talk soon.

This is the smart move, they will care for the pup and make sure it receives the proper medical treatment. You don't want to be in that position, you could end up spending thousands over time on something that can't be fixed.

Sounds like you have a good breeder, take advantage of the offer and enjoy the new pup, it's going to want a good home too.

Posts: 23495 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
... The breeders vet is an A&M Vet school grad and has lots of contacts at the school for help.

This would make my decision easier. Add the fact he offered to reimburse you for your bills and swap the dog too.

He is much better equipped to address your poor dog than you so I would swap the dog.

Posts: 3731 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
What will be best for the pup? I would think that a breeder may be better situated to care for the pup over the long term simply because this breed is their business.

Yes. They sound like the kind who would care for the pup, and they are better equipped to have one more dog around if it needs long term care.

It sounds harsh, but I think that would be best, and also gets you the healthy pup that you bargained for.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. The screen is fogging up for some reason at the moment.

Bloodwork showed “slight anemia”, but nothing that abnormal. Next step would be to look for neurological reasons. He’s back at the vet now for an X-ray just to rule out some type of obstruction. Breeder is still very concerned and willing to do whatever we need thankfully.

posted Hide Post
Had a lab/retriever mix that had a similar problem from about 1.5 years until we had to put him down @ 10 years (multiple tumors throughout body). Was about $45/month for an anti seizure med I can no longer remember the name of and he was otherwise fine. Typical over energetic derp of a dog. Best of luck whatever you choose.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
We are breeders, and it’s not for the faint of heart. Responsible breeders should take back any dog they breed for the life of each dog. If your breeder is willing to take the pup back, (as they should) it is by far your best option. Since epilepsy has a genetic component, I would do some research on the bloodlines of the sire and dam of the replacement pup to make sure there is no common connection with your current pups parents.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The breeder is coming up to us from Austin to get him, possibly tomorrow.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
The breeder is coming up to us from Austin to get him, possibly tomorrow.

My heart goes out to you, but I do believe this is the best option for all. I could never place the dog I described in my previous post, because of aggression issues on top of the seizures. I just felt it was the responsible thing to do, but as a rescuer that meant 10 years of addressing her health, and putting all other rescues on the back burner.
While I loved that particular dog to pieces, I wouldn’t wish that struggle on anyone. The breeder needs to take a look at their lines and determine whether or not this is genetic. Taking the pup back is the right thing to do.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
So sorry Dry Fly. You are doing the right thing.

My understanding is that every seizure can cause permanent damage.

Our dog Buddy suffered with seizures. We eventually got them under control with Zonisimide and phenobarbital but that comes with a cost as long term use can cause liver damage. It did with Buddy and caused his demise.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I am sorry you are having to go through this. It must be a hard decision after you picked the pup you wanted, named him, and welcomed him into your home. In the end you are making the right decision even if it doesn't feel 100% right.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is an awful situation and incredibly stressful and sad situation for you and your family, but I would agree to take the breeder up on the offer to take the pup back and pick up the medical tab as well.

If it is any consolation, and this may sound a bit corny, but maybe the pup will be with his mother and gain strength from being with her and maybe a sibling or cousin or two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cookster,

Posts: 3484 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Y’all are awesome.. thank you again for the advice and encouragement. We’re meeting the breeder tomorrow, our daughter will get to say goodbye and then go to a friends while my wife and I get him back. She (breeder) will get all of my medical records on him and already has an appointment with her vet. If they can get a definitive diagnosis then we may take another pup… that remains to be seen.