SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Infuriating: Five Police Officers Reportedly Told To Leave Local Starbucks Because Some Snowflake Felt Unsafe
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Infuriating: Five Police Officers Reportedly Told To Leave Local Starbucks Because Some Snowflake Felt Unsafe Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
BLACK RIFLE COFFEE needs to open up some shops.

Or LGS opens a coffee shop as part of their overall offerings.

Adventure Outdoors offers a lunch counter. Governors Gun Club has Sunday brunch. You’re average LGS could get outside the box a bit and become a social destination as well.

Guns, Doughnuts and a Coffee?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm not a die-hard 3-4 cup/ day coffee drinker but I do like an occasional cup of Joe...especially when it's cold out or while hunting or camping. Can't remember...I might have had one or 2 cups so far this year.

I do like some of Starbuck's coffee so while I mostly go for the wifi I'll grab a cup of something. Been to maybe 5 or 7 Starbucks total. A few of the Starbucks local to me are also near where a large group of the homeless hang out and occasionally there are homeless related problems in the area, including with local businesses like Starbucks.

EVERY single time I stayed at a Starbucks to drink my coffee and use the WIFI local LEOs stopped in, with many meeting there and sitting down to drink their coffee and talk. Once I was approached by a local cop in a Starbucks while I was waiting for my order and he made it clear that the Brass was implementing new policies on dealing with the homeless and he wanted to know what local businesses and residents thought and what their interactions with the homeless involved. We talked for almost an hour.

I was sitting in this same Starbucks and had been fuming for over an hour because I had witnessed two of the same panhandlers that I had seen in the area at different businesses over the last several weeks...one appeared to be a pimp and the other a panhandling hooker...and they were now working the shopping center parking lot where the Starbucks was, in broad daylight, with the hooker panhandler boldly hitting people up for $ as they walked to/from their cars. Her pimp handler would strut up and down the shopping center sidewalk in front of the various businesses...then, maybe every 20-30 minutes the pimp would sit down at one of the outside tables for Starbucks and Chipoltle customers, and the hooker panhandler would sit down on his lap and bump and grind while they made out...and while this was going in she would slyly hand him a wad of money she had just collected...then he would send her back to work the parking lot. At one point the pimp handler came into the Starbucks, walked into the bathroom for almost an hour, and when he finally came out he wandered around the store pretending to be interested in items they sold but never bought anything before going back outside. A short time later I saw 2 marked cars and an unmarked cop car arrive and pull a manuever in which one small car just outside the Starbucks door was blocked from it's attempt to back up. A short time later the officers were split up with one who frisked the pimp handler and sat him on the curb, the hooker panhandler with other officers out of sight, the driver of the car (out of state tags) with another officer, and a couple officers questioning the Starbuck's manager who was a sharp guy and had apparently called the cops. I got up and approached the group just to let the officers know that I had seen the female hooker panhandler in the area for weeks and that she had hit me up for $ at 2 different drive-thrus miles apart using the same story. The Starbucks employees seemed to appreciate my backing up their story and one came over to thank me later on.

In all the different times I've seen police officers and LEOs in Starbucks not once have I seen a single incident in which they were treated poorly, either by the baristas or by the customers. Just the opposite in fact as I've seen Starbucks baristas and managers talking to cops. I also don't believe our local cops would frequent a business that didn't appreciate them.

I'm not a Starbucks apologist and I'm just as ticked off that this anti-cop sentiment has found it's way into some businesses. A company as large and profitable as Starbucks and one that emphasizes its employee training programs on all these issues and policies should have addressed exactly how the staff is to treat all their customers, including police and gun owners...but I don't believe that this anti-police sentiment is promoted or systemic to all or most Starbuck's locations...I think it is more a reflection of some local geographic areas where that ideology is prevalent and accepted and less to do with any corporate policy...but Starbucks (and many other businesses) need to quit trying to placate some of their customers while disrespecting others and decide which policies best serve all their customers rather than just a few vocal ones.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Were I the chief, I would suggest that nobody in the department should go where they're not wanted to spend their hard earned money, on or off duty. I might also send out a press release saying that none of my on duty officers would be frequenting Starbucks. At all. A letter to Starbucks Corporate would be included.

I believe in giving the customer what they ask for.

And that is likely why you (and I) will never rise to the rank of chief.

True that.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I just don’t shop at Starbucks. The most I have done is park outside and use their Wi-Fi when I was in a pinch. I am not buying anything from that company. I can get coffee anywhere.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that is likely why you (and I) will never rise to the rank of chief.

True that.

Lol. You both would get along with my girl. There are some things my girl and I cannot talk about. We approach some issues from completely different perspectives (she has been a cop for over 20 years).

She comes home and I say "Hey hon how was your day?". She replies "Good. We had a barricade today for 8 hours."

Me: "Long day huh"

Her (scowl) "Yea"

Me: "So what happened?"

Her: "Guy locked himself in the house and threatened suicide"

Me: "Why did it take so long?"

Her: (scowl) "He threatened suicide"

Me: "Could you not get into the house?"

Her: "Well he had bars on the windows and he threatened to kill himself"

Me: (cutting her off) "Why didn't you bust in? You need a tank? I can get you a tank"

Her: "Honey we cannot drive a tank through a house."

Me: "Bullshit I used to do it all the time."

Her: "No hon that is not how it works"

Me: "Why not? Did you at least have security around the place? A few machine gun teams covering the ingress and egress? A tank can level a house. Trust me."

Her: "Yes babe, we had it surrounded."

Me: "I would have set up a mortar team. Found a terp to ask them to surrender in their native language. Then dropped a few on them to spark conversation"

Her: "No baby, he was just a sick old man. And he spoke english"

Me: "Is he still there? I can probably get that tank tomorrow"

Her: "I'm going to take a bath. And then go to bed. Don't wake me up" <kisses my cheek>

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
The Police should riot, and burn the neighborhood down.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
mbinky

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I don't drink coffee, but if I did I wouldn't do it at Starbucks.

flashguy
They do sell hot chocolate, I believe.

ETA:
Oh...and Dunkin' has WiFi as well. Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

flashguy

Tea, too. In flavors.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if there is ever a call at this location, the cops should first detour to the nearest DD and get some coffee and fritters before heading over and sitting outside

after all, wouldn't want to make them or their patrons feel uneasy - they might be in the middle of being shot, but the coffee schlepper will save them all

I have ALWAYS hated Starbucks, almost as much as I detest Phoenix

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

flashguy

ETA:
Oh...and Dunkin' has WiFi as well. Smile
I'm aware of that. The 2 times I was trapped into going into a Starbucks with a group, I drank hot chocolate (it was OK).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well, there's this - its not as much of an apology as it is a CYA...

they should identify the asshole employee instead of hiding it

Starbucks apologized to the Tempe, Ariz., police department after some of its officers were asked to leave from one of its shops on the Fourth of July following complaints from a customer who said they didn't feel safe with cops present.

The coffee giant apologized for any "misunderstanding or inappropriate behavior that may have taken place" and said it has "deep respect for the Tempe Police Department."

The company went further on Saturday, with Rossann Williams, executive vice president, president U.S. retail, writing to the Tempe Police Department: "On behalf of Starbucks, I want to sincerely apologize to you all for the experience that six of your officers had in our store on July 4. When those officers entered the store and a customer raised a concern over their presence, they should have been welcomed and treated with dignity and the utmost respect by our partners (employees). Instead they were made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, which is completely unacceptable."

She added: "At Starbucks, we have deep appreciation for your department and the officers who serve the Tempe community. Our partners rely on your service and welcome your presence, which keeps our stores and the community a safe and welcoming place."

CHARLIE KIRK: STARBUCKS ENGAGES IN INTOLERABLE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST POLICE

Six officers had purchased their drinks prior to their July 4 shift and were standing together when a barista asked them to leave because a customer said they did not feel safe by their presence, the Tempe Officers Association posted to its Facebook account.

The post was accompanied by a parody Starbucks logo featuring coffee being dumped from a cup. The union called the request "offensive" and said "such treatment has become all too common in 2019.”

"We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue," the union said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

It was not clear of the barista -- who was not identified -- would face disciplinary action.

In 2018, the coffee chain made headlines when two black men waiting for a business associate were arrested inside a Philadelphia shop for trespassing. The men received an apology from the city's police commissioner and Starbucks closed 8,000 locations for the better part of a day to conduct "racial bias training."

Fox News' Jeffrey Rubin and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Officers will answer calls there and will do their duty. What we are seeing here is a culture where young people who were not taught respect, or worse who were taught disrespect, have entered the work force. They live in an alternative universe that revolves around their smart phones. And Starbucks culture attracts them to their entry level jobs. Free Wi-Fi is a big draw.

I have a niece who worked for them for a while. Surprisingly they have a pretty strict code of conduct. But I also discovered that a lot of their employees have some really strange ideas and distorted views of the real world.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I can't understand the logic.... you have 5 customers who are spending money and I assume not causing a problem and one who does not like the way they look and make him or her feel.... which one do you ask to leave?

the only logical answer is the complaining customer tipped better than all 5 of the cops.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I can't understand the logic.... you have 5 customers who are spending money and I assume not causing a problem and one who does not like the way they look and make him or her feel.... which one do you ask to leave?

the only logical answer is the complaining customer tipped better than all 5 of the cops.

If you live in a cop disrespecting subculture it makes sense

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
What would have been funny is if the officers, when asked to leave, told the "barista" (hate that term, BTW, for some chucklehead that pours coffee for a living) to "take a friggin' dive into the toilet". What was the "barista" going to do? Call the cops? What would ensue next? A scene from Liar, Liar where the officers are kickin' their own ass?

That would make for good comedy sketch...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Starbucks needs to take hiring and training advice from Chik Fil A. They both hire young kids, but one is doing it much better than the other.

According to Starbuck’s precedence that they set for themselves, anything less than shutting down a ton of stores for 8 hours of officer sensitivity training will be unacceptable for me. That’s what they did when a couple black guys were harassed, I want to see it done here too.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starbucks like Nike are selling an attitude. Who really buys $250 sneakers and foo foo coffee?

They want the attitude just not the publicity.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going to laugh when it’s revealed that one of the cops is a black lesbian, gay pride parade Marshall with a cleft pallet.

The leftist wiener’s head will explode.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post