SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car won't turn off
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car won't turn off Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
Just got rear-ended, limped the car home but now it will not shut off. It's keyless. Lift a lead off the battery? Porsche Macan

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Pull the fuse for the fuel pump.

Make and model? (I can look up what fuse(s) can be pulled).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
thanks 2018 Porsche macan

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, Hope you're OK

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
heads thumping pretty good

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Unable to find the information online, (quickly).

Do you know where the fuse/relay compartments are?

Typically the engine/fuel relays and fuses will be in a plastic enclosure in the engine compartment.

The others are often on the forward part of the dash with the driver's door opened.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
If you can get to the battery, pull the ground wire. Everything in the car is dead if the ground is pulled. You could pull everything off of the positive post, but typically there is more there and could be a little more work. Either will do.

With great respect to the Monkey, I wouldn't suggest just killing the fuel pump. That will certainly stop the car from running, but if the ignition is still on you're at risk for harming other circuits and in a worse case scenario a fire starting.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
10mm to be sure.

Wink

Hope you mend soon.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
If you can get to the battery, pull the ground wire. Everything in the car is dead if the ground is pulled. You could pull everything off of the positive post, but typically there is more there and could be a little more work. Either will do.

With great respect to the Monkey, I wouldn't suggest just killing the fuel pump. That will certainly stop the car from running, but if the ignition is still on you're at risk for harming other circuits and in a worse case scenario a fire starting.

Disconnecting the battery after it shuts down. I assumed OP would do that. Smile

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I just saw that the battery is under the spare tire in the back, and the main fuses are behind a panel in the right rear of the cargo area. Being hit from behind, I hope you have access. It looks like there is another fuse panel behind trim on the left side of the drivers side dash-area exposed when the door is open.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I was hit directly in the right rear. I took both terminals off the battery and its still running.

Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
How long would the terminals need to be disconnected before it shuts down.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
How long would the terminals need to be disconnected before it shuts down.

How much fuel is in the tank?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's possessed. Some vehicles will run with the battery disconnected because the alternator is still providing power. I'd pull power to the fuel pump next and see what happens.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
User Manual has this note:
DANGER: Replacing fuses or relays with the engine running or the ignition on could cause electrical shock.

Always switch off the engine and the ignition when working on the electrical system.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Don't just disconnect the battery! It will stop running, all right … after the alternator and who knows what else goes up in smoke. Is a fuse box accessible? Find a main or fuel pump fuse or relay and pull that, or if the engine computer is accessible at all, disconnect it. If the ignition is still on after it shuts off, then you can disconnect the battery. The electrical system may not like those voltage spikes either, but if any damage is done, it will be a lot less and easier to fix than a smoked alternator and wiring harness.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
If all else fails, pull the intake plenum and starve the engine of air. If your not careful damage may ensue. Your puel pump may continue to run but I would think the ECM would see this and kill the ignition/fuel pump without the engine rotating.

Fuel pump relay or fuse would be the safest bet.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Won't help the OP, but I thought there was a relay, in the fuel pump circuit, that would trip in the event of a wreck.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for trying to help.

The fuse box is crushed, many broken wires and connection.

I talked to my dealership until they closed then they dissed me, useless. Called a West Coast dealership and they had no clue either. I could not find a fuse for the fuel pump but I pulled the ignition pathway fuse and it stopped. What a cluster. Thanks again.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Hope your melon feels better soon.

Get the to the Doctor.