SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My nifty Rapala cheese knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My nifty Rapala cheese knife Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'll cut it with whatever but for nice uniform slices, it's hard to beat a wire guillotine.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I'll cut it with whatever but for nice uniform slices, it's hard to beat a wire guillotine.

Yeah a wire with built in wheel will cut them perfect unless it’s a soft cheese.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
You’re probably right 1s1k. But with my restricted calorie budget the Westminster cheeses seen in my OP are the largest cheese blocks that I’ve cut recently. The Rapala goes through those easily, so “larger blocks” aren’t a problem for me.

BTW, it appears to me that your Rapala lacks the non-stick PTFE coating that mine has.
Very possible it’s kinda old so I don’t think it ever had a coating. I live on a lake and it’s cut tons of crappie and bass so it’s also possible that it’s been worn/sharpened off.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
For blocks of hard cheese I usually use a one piece stainless steel restraunt knife. The knife is longer than the cheese is wide so the method is to apply pressure on both sides and go slow.

The cheeses that I buy are sold by Costco so its big cheese. About six months ago Costco stocked a french triple cream brie. That triple cream brie is the marshmallow of cheeses! If the triple cream brie is re-stocked then I will buy an hundreds dollar worth.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

This post by Pipe Smoker led me to purchase a Rapala filet knife; mine has a 6” blade. The knife is the odd duck in our knife block with all the other Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives, but I’ve come to the realization that sometimes there’s no substitute for a knife with a thin, flexible, very sharp blade. I do not use it for cheese, as suggested, like bald1 I use a good paring knife for that. I use it pretty much as intended, as a filet knife. This morning I was preparing beef back ribs for marinade—-perfect.

You may have been interested by Pipe Smoker’s post, then kinda forgot about it. Follow his link, take another look. I think the knife is very useful.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Smile

What did you do with the scabbard? I tossed the one that came with my knife.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^ Smile

What did you do with the scabbard? I tossed the one that came with my knife.

It’s in a kitchen drawer; sometimes I take it fishing.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Closest I have to these filleting blades is a now discontinued Kellam - J. Marttiini #M1281 Urban Lynx 4.3" puuko. It is kept in a kitchen drawer in its leather sheath. Smile Used mostly for opening bulk pound tubes of pork sausage. Lol

Still prefer a paring knife for cheese duties. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I can't afford good cheese anymore :-(..

Posts: 4344 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post