SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My nifty Rapala cheese knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My nifty Rapala cheese knife Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I eat lots of cheese. I’ve long used a cheese lyre to cut soft to medium hard cheese:

Its taut wire would cut cheese more cleanly than any knife that I knew of. But it’s a bit fiddly in use. I wondered if I could find a knife that would serve as well, or better.

IMO a cheese knife ought to have two principal characteristics:
* A thin, sharp blade to easily penetrate the cheese.
* A narrow blade for minimal surface drag. Low surface area is why a cheese lyre works so well despite being so dull that you’d have to work to cut yourself.
I couldn’t find any “cheese knives” that looked right to me, so I began looking for narrow-blade knives instead. My amazon-fu was good enough to find this one:

Rapala Superflex fillet knife
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the 4” blade size. Rapala is famous for fishing lures, but they make other fishing-related products too.

You can easily see that its blade is narrow. It’s thin too – very thin – hence the “Superflex” moniker. And for toppers the blade has a non-stick PTFE coating for even easier cutting (and cleaning).

Cool! So this knife has both of my “must have” characteristics, plus the bonus PTFE coating. But is it actually good for cutting cheese? You betcha! See these nice clean slices of Westminster Rustic Red Leicester:

A few observations:
* Has a slip resistant wood haft of decent girth
* Laid on a counter, its blade is cantilevered over it
* Has a useless (for me) scabbard
* Was a struggle to get the knife out of the goddamned shrink wrap package

But yeah, a superb cheese knife for me. I’m going to buy another for a spare while the getting is good. I’ll use tin snips on the shrink wrap package next time.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on this. We have a Gerber Muskie that's seen kitchen duty for years, one of my wife's favorites. Like the Rapala, it's thin and sharp, a little longer. I think I'll get one of the Rapalas to add to the block.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Rapala is a good value. I've used their fillet knives for years and have cleaned hundreds of walleye's and pan fish with them. I lost my favorite Rapala down a ice hole early this year. The place I was staying at only had Markolov fillet knives so I bought one. It performs very well. Eased the pain of losing my long time Rapala friend. I've never used it to slice cheese but my fillet knives always see double duty as brisket, tenderloin or pork butt trimmers. Silver skin doesn't stand a chance against my Markolov.

I purchased my son in law a Cutco Fishermans knife as a gift to see how he would like it before I bought one for myself. He says he loves it. The blade is actually extendable from 6 to 8 inches. But electric fillet knives are all the thing now.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Just asked my wife the other day (while cutting cheese with it Wink ) how many fish I've filleted with my Rapala fillet knife. Gotta be close to a thousand. Very good value for their price. At their minimal price, it's nice to have several length blades handy.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice, but some of us cut the cheese without ever having to pick up a knife.

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Catcherman has served well for similar needs.

I'm seeking cheese scisssors for that long strand that stretches from your crock of French Onion soup to over your head.

The scissors in the Swiss Army knife work in a pinch but would like a dedicated instrument.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Laura Chenel" was my little sister's best friend.
Her name was Laura Vast. Her family owned a turkey farm south of Sebastopol. She went to France, learned about French goat cheese, came back and made herself famous.

Unfortunately for my sister, they drifted away from their friendship at some point, but sis still has good friends, which is why she still lives in Sebastopol. One of her high school friends lives with a guy who also makes cheese, but from cows. Cheesy place, Sonoma County.

Hi Sis!

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Smile Very good cheese, but the packaging isn’t. A mess to get the cheese out cleanly.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use a meat slicer to slice cheese and have for around 30 years.

Works like a charm and is adjustable from very thin to around a half inch of so.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We use a wire type cheese slicer, but it has a roller between the wire an the handle. Consistent thickness slices.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Call me a heathen if you will, but I find a quality paring knife to handle cheese duties quite satisfactorily. Our cheese go to is a 4" damascus paring knife with a VG-10 steel core and convex edge. Slices through all types of cheeses like butter. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Call me a heathen if you Big Grin will, but I find a quality paring knife to handle cheese duties quite satisfactorily. Our cheese go to is a 4" damascus paring knife with a VG-10 steel core and convex edge. Slices through all types of cheeses like butter. Big Grin

You sir, are an uncultured heathen! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I keed of course!

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I remember when the odd looking but cheap Rapala knife came out, middle 1960s in western Missouri. It's appearance and low price belied it's utility. I quickly learned you can pay more for a fish knife, but you won't get better. Pretty awesome whittling knife at boy scout camp also, much because so easy to get very sharp.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Call me a heathen if you will, but I find a quality paring knife to handle cheese duties quite satisfactorily. Our cheese go to is a 4" damascus paring knife with a VG-10 steel core and convex edge. Slices through all types of cheeses like butter. Big Grin
It works fine. If it was skeletonized it would be even better because there wouldn’t be so much surface area to “grip” the cheese.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If it was skeletonized it would be even better because there wouldn’t be so much surface area to “grip” the cheese.

There's really not much more surface area on this compared to the OP's fillet knife.

FWIW I've never been a fan of skeletonized blades or granton treatments either.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is the cable port ?
How do you down load the app. ?
Is it blue tooth ?

Is there a tech support number at least?

I will check on the cheese cutters forum.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Great. Now I have an expensive cheese craving.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As long as we're talking cheese knives, here's my cheese cleaver and small cutting board along side my damascus 4" paring knife. These handle everything but the softest of cheeses where a small butter knife does the trick. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I tested both. For me the skeletonized is far superior. It goes through any cheese very easily since there’s not much surface area and the blade is much stiffer/stronger. The filet knife does fine on small blocks of cheese but the blade is just too flexible to cut consistent sizes of the larger blocks and it always feels like it’s about to get you.

Either will get the job done but it’s pretty obvious which one is designed for the job. I could probably filet a Crappie with the cheese knife as well but the effectiveness would be apparent doing it back to back.

android 17 wallpaper

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
You’re probably right 1s1k. But with my restricted calorie budget the Westminster cheeses seen in my OP are the largest cheese blocks that I’ve cut recently. The Rapala goes through those easily, so “larger blocks” aren’t a problem for me.

BTW, it appears to me that your Rapala lacks the non-stick PTFE coating that mine has.

Serious about crackers