SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford warranty denial issue, I could use some help & suggestions.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford warranty denial issue, I could use some help & suggestions. Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Blast them on social media. Post some details/evidence and @ mention them on twitter. Use some hashtags like #ford #fordf350 which will guarantee you some views. They will get back to you quick. Companies have CS people that do nothing but social media damage control. Twitter is your best bet for platform.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
The easy answer is that its all your fault. You were stupid and bought a Ferd. You should never do that again. Ever. Yes, lawyer up. And then start a picket line, out in front of their driveway. Tell the world they're crooks and won't warranty your truck. They hate bad publicity and this affords you the opportunity to tell the world. Sue the bastards at the very least. But keep in mind that you bought that brand, and its your fault in the end. Ever wonder why so many folks hate the brand? You've just joined the club.

If you do end up paying to get a truck on the road, get it painted. With a big sign telling the world what crooks they are. And offer to tell anyone who is interested the details. Consider you're talking a bunch of money, and they just don't want to eat it. Make it more costly for them not to. There is a thriving community of Ferd lovers out there. Make it a goal to just drive a bunch of them to other brands. Don't let the dealer off easy. Make sure everyone knows you got screwed. You can even park your truck down the road from the dealership with the sign on it. They have your truck and won't fix it to your satisfaction.

Currently they're holding most of the cards. You only have bad publicity on your side. Play your card well.

This is the most useless comment I’ve seen. Do you realize things like this happen to every auto manufacturer?

Now to the OP. I’d find a Ford diesel mechanic or an ASE certified mechanic and see what they tell you. They will know the history of these engines and what the findings really mean and perhaps you can use the info to fight it with Ford.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:

As I understand it, the high pressure pump is also lubricated by and cooled with diesel fuel...

Thank you.

Googling this lead to much reading material and a kit that can be installed that sends the fuel used to lubricate the CP4 pump back to the tank and only filtered fuel to fuel volume control valve (VCV) and points beyond. The VCV has a screen on it, but it doesn't catch what a filter would. This may be the part that had rust on it that caused Ford to deny the warranty claim.

Posts: 10948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Call this tomorrow:https://www.azag.gov/consumer

I guarantee that the dealership and Ford Motor Company will not want them involved.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Thank you.

Googling this lead to much reading material and a kit that can be installed that sends the fuel used to lubricate the CP4 pump back to the tank and only filtered fuel to fuel volume control valve (VCV) and points beyond. The VCV has a screen on it, but it doesn't catch what a filter would. This may be the part that had rust on it that caused Ford to deny the warranty claim.

Glad to be of help. I know a few guys with 6.7 power strokes and they really like them. One guy after having his fuel system grenade did this same research and did the bypass system modification and added the dieselsite fuel/water separator. He hasn’t had any issues since and loves his truck.

The word on the net is that no matter what the CP4 injection pump is not going to last anywhere near the life of your engine, and if any moisture gets into the CP4 pump it’s going to fail. The trick is that if you’ve got one of the bypass filters installed you’ve got a 99% chance that there won’t be any damage to the fuel system beyond the CP4 pump. The pump alone can be replaced at a reasonable cost without tearing the engine apart so that’s not too bad, and not a horrible weak link to have to concern yourself with considering the rest of the positive attributes of the engine.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
If you can get something that says your fuel was contaminated with water, your COMP coverage on you auto policy should cover it. I know USAA has covered water contamination claims under the COMP (Other Than Collision Coverage). Make your claim. It's almost certainly a covered loss.

Now on a side note, this is a long standing known problem with Ford 6.7L diesels such that some insurers were, or are, considering a class action suit against Ford for their inadequate and/or faulty fuel/water separators and fuel pumps. Ford's fuel pumps are not designed for American light diesel fuel. Rather they are designed for heavier, more lubricating, European diesel. American diesel does not adequately lubricate or cool the fuel pump.

Some dealers sell Fords with 6.7L diesels and, at the time of the sale, recommend the installation of an aftermarket filter system and recommend fuel additives to get the diesel fuel to the same level as European diesel. It's expensive.

Repairing this is a body-off repair. You have to replace virtually the entire fuel system. It will cost anywhere from $15,000-$20,000 to fix.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How often do you replace the fuel filters and empty the water separators?

Do you have documentation?

If you can show that you do everything by the book when it comes to maintenance, that might spur them along. Will also help your case with Geico.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for your current problem, this may end up being a comprehensive claim on your insurance. If the cause of this problem is indeed moisture in your fuel then it isn’t really a warranties mechanical failure.........

.......Also check the fuel filter/ water separator that’s on the pump and make sure that it’s been changed appropriately. .....

I am hoping the comprehensive claim is a last resort. I am religious about fuel and changing filters for just this reason.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The next step should be a sit down with the dealership General Manager. Not the service department manager.

I have already spoke to the GM/Owner, nice guy and he is working some back channels supposedly.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I have a 2015 F350 with almost 100,000 miles on it, so I'm paying attention because I don't want to have problems.

What is a PCV pump and how does it relate to fuel? How does water from contaminated fuel get to this pump such that rust on this pump tells Ford that the fuel had water in it?

Isn't the fuel pump in the fuel tank?....

....I don't like when the answer to the problem changes multiple time. It seems as if someone is grasping at straws to deny the claim.

It is the PCV pump and as far as I know there is no filter after that. PCV is not in the tank. And yes, the differing answers are fucky as all get out.

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
If you don't mind me asking, what does the repair consist of? What has to be done, what parts have to be replaced? What is the breakdown of parts needed, and how much labor to do so?

$7400 for parts, $2700 labor, $500 Taxes. Those are approximate as the dealer hasn't given me a quote, but that is what they quoted Geico.

quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Call this tomorrow:https://www.azag.gov/consumer

I guarantee that the dealership and Ford Motor Company will not want them involved.

Thank you, I'll put that on my list.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
How often do you replace the fuel filters and empty the water separators?

Do you have documentation?

If you can show that you do everything by the book when it comes to maintenance, that might spur them along. Will also help your case with Geico.

All properly done and documented, Ford Corp doesn't seem to care.

quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
If you can get something that says your fuel was contaminated with water, your COMP coverage on you auto policy should cover it. I know USAA has covered water contamination claims under the COMP (Other Than Collision Coverage). Make your claim. It's almost certainly a covered loss.

This may be the direction I ultimately go. Waiting on other stuff to play out.

I am just sick to my stomach about it right now.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 16 Duramax. I put a sump on the fuel tank and a FASS lift pump on it 2 1/2 years ago. I switched the filters on the lift pump over to CAT. I kept the filter on the motor also, as I was told you don't really need it now.
I also treat every tank of fuel.
It might be overkill but it makes feel a little better.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Ford still has them but when I worked for Ford a long time ago, they had regional warranty reps that visited the dealerships and dealt with problem warranty issues in person. Dealers and customers, if they knew about them, could request them to look into their issue.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Your truck doesn't happen to be financed with Ford credit is it? Just a thought.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put a sump on the fuel tank and a FASS lift pump on it

I run this on my Cummins/Ram. They are local to me, and build an outstanding product.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I haven't read every post, but Ford isn't the only one. I suspect most all the major auto makers are the same.

I have a different brand vehicle. There was an issue. There was a class action suit. Auto manufacturer lost. IIRC, their resolution was to offer a partial reimbursement to folks who had previously paid for repairs themselves.

No support for other vehicle owners. This was a well-documented, FACTORY defect. Their cost to repair it was probably a fraction of what an owners would pay out of pocket. All told, probably a few hundred bucks for them.

Talked to the dealership...got multiple 'Garsh, I never heard of that issue...' Even when checking back with same service manager later, he still 'Didn't know nuttin'.' Roll Eyes

Tried the North American arm of the auto maker.

Very shortened, paraphrased exchange of the call:

CS Rep in pleasant voice: 'Hello, mega-we-don't-give-sh#t-auto-maker CS, how can we help you today?'

'Hiya, could you please fix your factory defective part, you know the one...from the civil suit?'

CS Rep [Super friendly, chipper voice]:'Absolutely not. Is there anything else we can help you with today? No? Ok, thanks for calling mega-we-don't-give-sh#t-auto-maker, have a wonder day! Mmm ba-bye.'

They know you don't have the time & $$ to take on their multiple floors of corp. attorneys, so they really don't care 99.9% of the time.

Blast them on social media might work...but that might blow back on you when you try to get your vehicle serviced...ever again.

This is also the problem with aftermarket warranties sometimes...if it's a factory/manufacturer warranty issue, they use it as an 'loophole' to get out of paying for a claim. Whatever you do, if Geico is going to step up, make sure you get APPROVAL before you proceed. Advising them and keeping them in the loop is good, but they need to APPROVE repairs BEFOREHAND or they won't pay (ask me how I know - not Geico, but similar scenario).

You might try your state's insurance commissioner...they sometimes have a complaint dept., depending on the issue.

The BBB might be another avenue, if they're members.

If you have good emails/written communications, it'll help.

Good luck,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a diesel / fuel pump thing, but I've driven full size Ford & Chevy vans for years in the hvac service industry.

Had my van refuse to start on me in freaking Big Pine Key of all places, not only scotched my calls in Key West but was a 3 hour drive (towed) to the nearest dealer.

Fuel pump burned up, they fixed it. Week later, died on me again. Towed to the dealer again, elsewhere. I got mad & looked up the issue, turns out it was known & whats worse the connector plug also burned enough to fail soon after - told the service manager - he refused to repair as they got it running again.

The third time it died on me in traffic. At that point I refused to drive it any more & my company put me in a new van, the whole time this was a known issue with their whole line of full size trucks & vans. Dealer ignored it & company / leasing vendor wouldn't press the issue.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

It depends on a lot of stuff. We have paid these and denied these based on the facts and findings.

The rust is certainly a red flag that this is a long standing issue and not a sudden upset of the vehicle. Had plenty of claims where the cause was bad fuel from the gas station.

The documentation of the maintenance is going to be key. Hopefully hjs insurance company will take that into consideration that it can't be a long tail wear and tear issue. Because he keeps up on all the maintenance.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry you have this issue D. No help but wish you the best in getting this resolved sooner than later.
I know you need this truck to use in you daily operation. A critical piece.

Hopefully the dealer will step up.

Anyone who knows you. Knows you are on top of maintenance.

As mentioned earlier. Possibly bad fuel is my guess.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
There's a 2020 class action lawsuit against Ford over this very issue:

https://fordauthority.com/2020...equate%20lubrication.

quote:

Ford Super Duty Fuel Pumps Are Defective, Claims New Class Action Lawsuit

by Brett Foote
May 6, 2020, 6:54 am

A new class action lawsuit has been filed against Ford Motor Company in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, and it’s one that Ford Super Duty owners will want to take note of. The complaint, Nunez, et al., v. Ford Motor Company, alleges that 2011-present Ford Super Duty fuel pumps in trucks equipped with the 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel engines are defective. The Bosch CP4 high-pressure fuel injection pumps reportedly can’t handle U.S. diesel fuel specifications, allegedly leading to a number of problems.

According to the lawsuit, this particular Ford Super Duty fuel pump suffers from lubrication and water content problems, which forces the pumps to run dry and causes metal to rub against metal. This metal-to-metal contact occurs because of air pockets that form inside the pumps while they are operating.

Over time, metal shavings and debris from the fuel pumps make their way into the fuel injection systems and into the engines themselves, which leads to a number of issues, including fuel pump failure and even total engine failure.

Bosch’s CP4 fuel pumps have been a great success in European markets, thanks to their ability to achieve greater fuel efficiency by pumping less fuel through the engines. But the class action lawsuit alleges that cleaner U.S. diesel fuel causes the fuel pumps to operate outside of specification and causes inadequate lubrication.

“Consumers are left with repair bills that range from $8,000 to $20,000 per vehicle,” the lawsuit alleges. “Some victims of Ford’s grand scam are American businesses who own several vehicles and have suffered multiple failures.” The suit also claims that Ford knew that these fuel pumps wouldn’t work properly due to differences in American diesel fuel quality.

The issues described reportedly began to arise as far back as the ’90s when cleaner diesel standards were first implemented in the U.S. The Truck & Engine Manufacturers Association acknowledged back in 2002 that the lower lubricity of American diesel fuel could cause fuel injection system component failures in pumps manufactured for European diesel specifications.

Not sure what the present status is. It may very well have stalled due to the whole Covid thing, as many courts have. But you could always contact law firm prosecuting this case and see what it takes to get added as a plaintiff.

https://dockets.justia.com/doc...5:2020cv10010/344154

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input, It is a work in progress and looks like I will be going the comprehensive claim route in the near future.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
This is starting to be a common break down, I've heard of it in the various 6.7L diesel forums I'm on. Many are installing some sort of kit that helps to keep the whole engine from getting trashed in the failure, but not everyone agrees that it's preventable. Ford seems to know that there are a bad batch of these pumps...but won't admit to it. Everyone is saying not using lube in every fill-up can cause this. I remember talking to Ford when I bought my 2016 platinum, and they swore we never needed to do that with the new 6.7l

I'm more than worried about this. I'm $7k away from paying this thing off, and I've already had Ford completely change out the whole exhaust system due to the DPF crapping out. That was a $7.5K repair covered under warranty just 1,000 miles ago for me (at 46K miles on truck). I've had CEL codes twice since for the same sensor. My warranty is over soon, and I'm wondering if I should be keeping this truck or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post