SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cicadas. Never experienced these critters..
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cicadas. Never experienced these critters.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
They are coming up out of the ground in May. I have never seen or heard them. I understand they can make a lot of noise. Beings as they've got wings, must be they can fly. Will we get peppered with these when driving? You ever experience cicadas? Creepy crawlers man.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
They're big man! Giant-sized flying biblical gross insects! Save yourself if you can!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I remember being a kid and tying G.I. Joe figures or green army men to some of the bigger ones. Some of the big boys could drag a Joe.

Good times. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nostalgic. Used to love hearing them. Very peaceful sound. Still hear them when I go to Japan.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Obviously, you are not from the South. Summer wouldn't be the same without the cicadas.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
They taste like chicken...

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
There is a Channel 5 Cincinnati news video of some chick baking them and dribbling white chocolate over them. She takes a bite so they must be good.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We love listening to them. Of course we also love to listen to coyotes howl. Funny how some people are so freaked out over cicadas. They even freak out over the shells they leave behind on the trees when they molt.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
They like weedeaters and mowers. I was doing that work when there was a massive swarm. Just had to squish them under your clothes and keep going. Saw a guy go nuts from them. Swung a commercial weed eater at them and laid his leg open candy cane striped.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear them all the time my tinnitus is so bad.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Obviously, you are not from the South. Summer wouldn't be the same without the cicadas.
These are said to be coming up after 17 years below the ground. Perhaps its eggs hatching. I understand they come out almost to the exact day.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Hey I like the sound of peepers so maybe these wont be so bad after all.

posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, we used to shoot them out of trees with our B B guns.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Listen to the song of our southern insects!!!!

I could fall asleep to them

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

Don't give Tyson Foods any bright ideas.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Strange creature and a short life cycle.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I didn't realize that they were local to any specific regions. I assumed they were all over the country, maybe minus the desert?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Don't forget their empty shells left on the bark of trees.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I lived in Bethesda, MD the last time they appeared en-masse... which I believe was 2006. They were everywhere and I'm not talking "Oh I'm from the South and used to them". Hell, that's a given pretty much anywhere in the wooded areas of the US each summer. No, the cicada cycle is such that when the majority come out in the mid-Atlantic every 16 years or so, it's a fucking swarm. You can't walk a block without stepping on 50-60 of the critters.

They don't bite but are a nuisance. Driving wise I don't recall them being much of a problem but you will get a few road kills on the windows over the course of several days whenever you go somewhere. Their size and crunchy exoskeletons usually result in them bouncing off, more than making a splat. On really bad days, they could act like wet leaves and cause cars to skid a tiny bit when braking... where they're really dense that is.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
It's the eyes.... Eek

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post