SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cicadas. Never experienced these critters..
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cicadas. Never experienced these critters.. Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Cicadas remind me of the “Selenites” from the 1964 movie “First Men in the Moon”, based on the H.G. Wells novel of same name.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are lucky enough to be in the right place this year:
SOFT-SHELLED CICADAS
Ingredients:
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
60 freshly emerged 17-year cicadas
4 eggs, beaten
3 cups flour
Salt and pepper to season the flour
1 cup corn oil or slightly salted butter
Directions:
Marinate cicadas alive in a sealed container in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. (Note: You can skip this step and go directly to the egg step instead.)
Dip them in the beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently sauté until they are golden brown.
Serves four

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
We had them in Vancouver. When we were kids we'd tie firecrackers to them and let them fly away.

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Well being from Louisiana I'm used to them. But since my Tinnitus sounds like them I hear them year round. Night and day.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Nope. We have them here in central AZ. Lots of them and they are loud AF. I like the sounds of them. I saw green army men tied to them, we used to have little kites. Tie some fish line to a leg, and off they go.

I was kind of surprised when I first heard them here. There are none out where I live (the ecosystem is called "creosote flats"), as our largest "trees" are scraggly mesquites and palo verdes that grow near the washes. However, when I went to town, where there are large mature trees (town is near the Hassayampa River), they were very evident. They are Apache cicadas, native to the Sonoran Desert.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My Dad was transferred to KCMO when I was a year old and we lived there for ten years. I thought the "locusts", as we called them, were just a normal part of your life in the spring and summer. After moving back to New England - CT until my adult escape to NH - I haven't heard or seen them since.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Obviously, you are not from the South. Summer wouldn't be the same without the cicadas.
These are said to be coming up after 17 years below the ground. Perhaps its eggs hatching. I understand they come out almost to the exact day.

It’s amazing that their biological clock can time to a 17-year interval. It’s even more amazing that all of them keep synchronized with each other to the same 17-year period.

I grew up in a small town in MO. Summer evenings there were delightful. Ciradas humming, lightning bugs flashing, the Milky Way glowing (skies were dark then), and heat lighting on the horizon. Thanks for stirring up that memory. BTW, our cicadas were annuals.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The sound is very distinctive and I recall it well growing up in Pennsylvania. There would be summer nights when they were VERY loud, but it's a sound I associate with summer and childhood so it's actually sort of comforting and not at all scary or creepy.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
They taste like chicken...
Well, Ellie, my former yellow lab would agree, Last go-round, in 2007, she ate probably thousands of them. Acted like it was quite a treat.

I've had labs almost all my adult life. You never realise how many things are edible until you own a lab.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Well being from Louisiana I'm used to them. But since my Tinnitus sounds like them I hear them year round. Night and day.
My hearing is just as yours. Too much exposure throughout the years to harmful noises.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Cicadas remind me of the “Selenites” from the 1964 movie “First Men in the Moon”, based on the H.G. Wells novel of same name.

Thats them right there.. Big Grin. I cant imagine millions of them.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The Changeling

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The story here is that copperheads love them when they're newly emerged. They will sometime congregate around trees at night waiting for them to emerge.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I agree with several here. My tinnitus sounds EXACTLY like them. It is how I described it to my V.A. doctor.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK, thus far I have seen 2 cicadas. Neither was alive. The first was standing on a concrete step, most of the way out of its shell. It had huge teeth, pissed off huge red eyes, sort of a horse fly crossed with a African killer bee what jumped the fence on a locust which has lineage to a sabre tooth tiger. Pretty scarey looking to say the least. He never moved and didnt make a sound. He was not alive. Seen one other which was not alive. Only cicadas I have heard were very loud in the background of a Langdon drill video.

posted Hide Post
That photo looks like the ones in Texas. Big green bugs. Harmless. Have them every year. Noisy part of Texas summers.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Man, one of the good things about living here in the North Pole is that we don’t have that kind of bugs. I don’t miss the gigantic cicadas and roaches of my tropical native country.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
They taste like chicken...

Don't give Tyson Foods any bright ideas.

They're all over the country and we even have them here in the Arizona (Sonoran) Desert. When I was a kid, I'd find them in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley and even in some of the vegetation bordering the beach in Malibu! Never in the quantities I'd see/hear in the Midwest, when my Dad lived in Indiana (CRAZY numbers there), but I recently learned something interesting about Cicadas: They happen to be among the favorite foods of certain snakes, particularly Copperheads!!! These will even climb trees to feast on the insects!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
They are coming up out of the ground in May.

Won't need to aerate the lawn this year...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to get rid of them is to catch them, tie a firecracker on them, light and release. The way we kids did it in the 1950s!

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post