SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cicadas. Never experienced these critters..
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cicadas. Never experienced these critters.. Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I didn't realize that they were local to any specific regions. I assumed they were all over the country, maybe minus the desert?

We have Dogday cicadas in Minnesota. They're not out yet, but they can be quite loud in the summer.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Obviously, you are not from the South. Summer wouldn't be the same without the cicadas.

I didn't realize that they were local to any specific regions. I assumed they were all over the country, maybe minus the desert?

I know one thing. They'll be blowing up here in the New Jersey Pennsylvania area. These are the 17 year variety.

As I understand it, there are also a variety of cicadas that come out annually.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
They taste like chicken...

Don't give Tyson Foods any bright ideas.

You never know...with the right marketing the new Cicada Loaf might be bound to give Jennie O's "almost" Turkey Loaf a run for it's money. Drizzle it with some organic hemp seed sauce and animal welfare approved, naturally-harvested grey wolf dingleberries to round out a festive meal.

Boy..... you make it sound real good! Give me an order to go minus the dingleberries. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
David: Maybe I'm thinking of another member but didn't you go to high school in Texas? We definitely have them here.

I had a Dachshund that I discovered was capturing cicada's and holding them in his mouth, I guess he liked the way it felt when they tried to make their noise. That's the way I found out by the way. I heard a muffled noise and when I turned to my dog, he just looked at me with his mouth closed. Dogs don't do that. Generally their mouth opens slightly like when they pant as soon as you look at them or talk to them. Then I noticed something slightly protruding from his mouth. A wing! And I could hear the muffled buzzing! I pried his jaws open like you do to get a bird out and the cicada hit the patio concrete. He immediately scooped it back up and looked at me with that creepy closed mouth. It was a little disturbing and just wrong. I got it back out and threw it on the roof so he couldn't retrieve it. Just weird all the way around.

My initial encounter went very much like this one I found posted on YT:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
We have them in Western NY as well. Grew up collecting the shells off of the pine trees...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
as kids we would sit in a hammock, or lay on a branch and shoot them out of the trees all day long with our BB guns. Fun times! now, i can't see the bastards. Back then i had bionic eyes compared to this shit i've got now. I should be grateful i can see at all i know.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Harmless, and interesting. They look odd but can't bite or sting. Their deal is to overwhelm predators with numbers....and they've got that gig down! Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Roasted covered in chocolate ... like a Nestle crunchy bar. Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cats used to catch and eat them. They give off quite a loud crunching sound.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
A big batch hatched in TN in the late 90s. So many, it looked like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Annoying but harmless.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If you manage to get hit by one on the knee while riding a motorcycle at highway speed, it will leave a mark that won’t buff out. Personal experience talking there.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
A big batch hatched in TN in the late 90s. So many, it looked like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Annoying but harmless.

That'd be the swarm I mentioned.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their eyes make them look evil!

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We had cicada killer wasp burrows screwing up our lawn last year

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Skip to 2:20 to see what Gray thinks of them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Cicada killers are the weirdo's! They are huge and intimidating, although no threat to people.
They sting and paralyze the Cicada, then drag it to their burrow, where they inject a single egg, then bury said Cicada. Whereupon, said egg hatches into larvae form and devores live, paralyzed Cicada before morphing to next stage of life.

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I used to catch them when I was little. You didn't want to let it get away because they'll piss on you as they fly off.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Their naturally sweet taste reminds me of wild hickory nuts.” Euell Givens

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
They taste like chicken...
Anything goes with a garlic,parsley butter sauce...

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have had them dive-bomb me. They just bounce off and can't bite (they only have a proboscis that can't penetrate human skin) or sting. Those bulging red eyes creep me out a little.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post