SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Béchamel (Northen Italian Style) Vs Ricotta (Sothern Italian Style) Lasagna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Béchamel (Northen Italian Style) Vs Ricotta (Sothern Italian Style) Lasagna Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Er[j], no need for fisticuffs, I'll eat ricotta, just don't prefer it. I like creamy vs dry, that's my preference.
All in good fun, sir! Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I’m going to make bechamel and cook pasta I’m going to make pastitsio instead of lasagna.

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There's a similar Greek dish with white sauce, pasta and beef called pastitio (Greek lasagna).

The spice blend is slightly different and you only layer one time but it's terrific and definitely uses bechamel or a butter-based white sauce over cheese.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn’t until college that I found out that people put ricotta in lasagna. Mom said she learned her recipe from an Italian girlfriend of a GI they had over for dinner one night (Dad was stationed in Vicenza). Which is good enough for me.

But I do experiment with it. Beef, sausage, etc.

And simple bechamel with Parmesan becomes an ersatz alfredo when necesssary.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandparent's families came from Bari and Potenza in southern Italy so my mom always made lasagna with ricotta cheese. She used too much IMO. I used to peel my lasagna and scrape out some of the spackle. Too dry and pasty.

Invariably when I have lasagna in Asia - it's the béchamel style. And believe it or not, you can usually find a really good Italian restaurant in the larger cities in Asia. If not, the western brand hotels always make decent Italian food. I think it is more common for chefs from France to be bought in to train the locals, so that's probably why. Nothing like have to eat local for business for a couple days and then getting to eat on your own and have a nice bolognaise pasta or lasagna. And the mayor of bologna went on a rant a little while ago because they did not invent tomato meat sauce.

But noodles were invented in Asia so they should be good at it.

Now if I could just get them to stop putting a fried egg on the plate next to my Cesar salad...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
you guys are killing me. lasagna may be my favorite food of all time

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 Mother Sauces

Regardless of regionality. Knowing these 5 basics is key, they can be tweaked to what you need

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
When I make lasagna, I make a large bath of marinara, a small béchamel, with ricotta and shredded mozzarella and parmesan.
In my case I'm using ground elk instead of beef.
Some of the marinara goes into the elk, ricotta goes into a bowl with an egg (small batch) salt and pepper with parmesan, mozzarella and béchamel, to a smoothable consistency.

Assembly is marinara, then blanched pasta ground elk with sauce, additional marinara, pasta then layer of ricotta cheese mix, then pasta then elk mix repeating until two layers of each are in the dish with red sauce on top to keep moist, then depending on your oven temperature determines the final sprinkling of cheeses.

If you like béchamel, find a good moussaka recipe, it involves eggplant, ground beef and béchamel.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The New Lasgna Cookbook, Maria Bruscino Sanchez; Chicken Marsala Lasagna, pp 94-95.

This is a delicious (!) dish. There are CML recipes online. I have prepared only the recipe from the cookbook. I vouch for her recipe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
When I make lasagna, I make a large bath of marinara

I prefer baked beans! Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
There's a similar Greek dish with white sauce, pasta and beef called pastitio (Greek lasagna).

The spice blend is slightly different and you only layer one time but it's terrific and definitely uses bechamel or a butter-based white sauce over cheese.

I made a pastitsio back in Feb, a bit easier to make than lasagna and every bit as satisfying. The spices the Greeks use gives it a nice change-up to the richer Italian flavors. The Italian region around Venice and Trieste make their lasagnas like a pastitsio, using tubular pasta rather than the familiar sheets.

One of my good friend's has family in the Northern Italy town of Traviso, we visited a few years back and the lasagna version they made had more Austrian/Germanic influence as they include more vegetables like radicchio & mushrooms, along with pancetta, and the local taleggio cheese which is stronger and richer over a ricotta.

Foodie factoid - ricotta is a whey-cheese which you get from mozzarella production.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I've recently been watching these 2 on Youtube. Great channel. This video is perfect for this thread...

<snip>

I just put myself into a food coma. I made their bolognese version with homemade spinach pasta for dinner tonight and it was absolutely fantastic. Where has it been my whole life?

I didn't have any ground pork so I substituted Italian sausage for both the pork and beef, and I'm certain that that added immensely to the flavor profile, but I can't imagine that the original recipe is much different.

It is a bit time consuming, but I'll be making this again.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stumbled across this video of béchamel style lasagna and put it on the list of things to try: https://youtu.be/y2SVA6EsrTE

Posts: 988 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I make a ricotta, parm lasagne with butternut squash and spinach. Topped with pancetta, and a bechamel sauce.

It’s fucking magical.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn Noah those look good. Your chef experience is showing! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Must've taken forever to pull the stems from all them spinach leaves. Big Grin

Those do look good though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Ricotta is trash

Amen!

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

I need this in my life Red Face

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I prefer baked beans! Big Grin

R U a fan of The Who, too?

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Must've taken forever to pull the stems from all them spinach leaves. Big Grin

Those do look good though.

You have no idea how much I appreciate you noticing that. Yes. It took what felt like a millennium.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post