SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's still leaving home to work every day?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's still leaving home to work every day? Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Make steel, can't let it go cold. Not only working but working 12 to 14 hours per day.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I work for a Medical Equipment/Public Safety Equipment Company.

My position is on the medical side, doing maintenance/repairs on Anesthesia Machines and Patient Vitals Monitors, so yes, I'm still working.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
in LE so I have to go to work. most neighboring agencies are adopting a 12hr 7 day on 7 day off schedule. we're still doing our usual rotating 8 schedule.

Call volume is down. People are mostly hunkering down and leaving each other alone.

My exwife and brother work for the fed.gov and are working from home.

My kids are bored. I went to get my son from his mom's house today and traffic was normal for a Friday afternoon in this area so people are still out and about.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still driving 62 miles each way to work. Almost all interstate driving. Probably 20 percent of the car traffic there used to be each way. Semi traffic seems up 25 percent with more "we own the road" attitude at 10 mph slower than the rest of us.

I work for a small city in the engineering dept. I also do some of the IT work so am deemed "essential" and report to the office. Moral is low. We all would rather be home but government must continue on with the election year in process and a primary in ten days.

Had my washer dump a gasket on the pump ten days ago. At fifteen years old I said let's replace the pair. Ordered a set from Best Buy and the day before delivery they said " we will not install...will not enter your home. The day of delivery they called to confirm the delivery time and said...."they will not take away my old appliances either".

Sorry to rant but I am about wore out with this stuff. I will do my best to get out of the house and do something enjoyable this weekend but rain forecast for the next three days. Grrrr

Time takes time.

Posts: 84 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Pharmacist. But I only have a 4 mile commute. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work as a chiropractor, so patient load is super low. However I build and sell an electronic "Bioenergetic Imprinter", which is an alternative health care immune system boosting device. That part of the business has been excellent, mostly from repeat customers buying more for friends and family.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Fortunately (in my eyes), it's business as usual for O'Hare construction.

It's funny, last week after Pritzker announced our sheltering in order followed by management telling us that we were essential, one on my young colleagues--mid 20s, great shape, his muscles have muscles--stated that he thought it was ridiculous that we were considered essential and had to work while everyone else has to stay in for two weeks. I shook my head and told him if he felt that strongly about it, he's in control of his own life and he could stay home. Of course he was at work on Monday.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presently out of state, training, then running back and forth to Europe for a couple of weeks..then we'll see.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Make steel, can't let it go cold. Not only working but working 12 to 14 hours per day.

Nucor?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Doing contract work for my former employer, going in everyday to an empty office. I can blare Rush and Hannity without repercussions. Quiet.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
Pretty much business as usual here. Things are busier than I might have expected on the auto parts side. The gun biz is bonkers.

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I repair atm's, cash recyclers, cash acceptor safes and check sorters. It's been deemed that this type of work is essential. So I'm out and about every day.

Our work has dropped off lately and everyone in the company is having to take a pay cut. It beats getting laid off.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Me too, my drive has gone from 45 minutes to about 20, enjoying it very much.

I used to work varying shifts,

morning meant morning traffic, and go home traffic,

now we are 10-7 , so I work 930-730,

no traffic at all,

50 minute traffic commute down to about 25-30

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am. I install network cable for business (we don't do residential work). Because Ohio and Indiana have lusted my career field as essential, we have to go to work. It doesn't matter where we work, as long as the job site is open we will work. At the job that I am on now, we are working in an office area. All of those people have been sent home, but we are still there working. After next week i am scheduled to work at a new construction site that will be a parking garage and retail space (not sure how that is considered essential, but we will be there working). And since it is all new construction that means that there is no running water to wash your hands at, and using porta johns.

I have twin 14 year old boys, one of whom has asthma. We are at the ER atleast once a year because of his asthma. this bug scares the hell out of me. I am terrified of what I could be bringing home to him.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
We thought we were closed until emails starting rolling in telling us we were essential to them. Thursday we got an email from a company making ventilators telling us we were needed. Glad to be working still and it's great if we can help a little.

Posts: 3457 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still working my scheduled shifts. I work at an iron ore mine. I haul the raw ore needed to make pellets which are used to make steel. Our company has made changes so we are in contact with as few people as possible. Like different start times for different job classifications.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday is the last day, company is shutting down for two weeks. Last week everyday there were few people with high temperatures and got send home . One employees was confirmed with the CCP virus, three other family's member got it.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Appliance repair is considered essential. Gotta be able to wash those viruses off your clothes and keep your food cold

Fire and EMS doesn't stop

Local Government is considered essential and I's considered the chief elected official in my unit.

My wife is a farmer and also considered essential.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Yep, anesthesia doesn’t stop, but the caseload so far is lower with all of the elective case load halted.

Time has been spent with lots of COVID contingency planning, and finding proper PPE. I won’t be relying on “ scarves and bandanas” to keep myself and my family safe.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post