SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's still leaving home to work every day?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's still leaving home to work every day? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I am LEO but now I am admin and drive a desk for the most part. I still drive a marked unit and can go work the road at a moments notice. They haven't needed me yet.

I'm in a similar boat.

There was some talk early on of retasking some admin/support officers to enforcement work, but so far that hasn't come about.

Those of us with issued laptops have a little leeway to work a bit from home, when we can get by with it. Mainly just means I can take my sweet time getting around in the mornings while responding to emails.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Our procedures change every couple of hours. It's a bear to keep up with it.

Word.

"Do that. Scratch that, do this. Wait, go back to doing that. I meant to say, do this. Well, do this until the meeting tomorrow morning when we'll make a final decision about whether we want you to do this or do that."

Shit's exhausting, especially when you have your team constantly bugging you about whether they should do this or that, and you don't even know anymore.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Door to office is locked, everyone who enters gets their temp taken. Wipes @ each workstation. My commute is 25% quicker. If need be, everyone can work from home with work phones forwarded to cell phones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m still going to work on my shift nights. They just started taking everyone’s temperatures yesterday. Wife is able to work from home, so thankfully we have no loss of income.

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm still going to work everyday as I work in a healthcare facility. My wife and daughter are both still going to work each day also.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
We're an 'essential' company so we're open 24/7.
But in my group, we just started alternate weeks, working from home a week, and from work the next week, with only half the group at work, so easier to 'social distance' ourselves.

My commute hasn't changed much. I'm in by 0600, so traffic is always light, and my normal departure time puts me home before the local schools release, if they were in session.

They've got a nurse contracted from 0530 to 0830 to forehead scan all employees coming in for a fever, so that took a bit to get used to. Anyone 100°+ gets sent home.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Still working the night shift on the road. Like chongo said, procedures change all the time, for us and neighboring agencies. We've got one guy out sick now, don't think it's the covid, though. We only have one confirmed case in our county so far, so it's kinda the calm before the storm. If guys start dropping, keeping shift coverage is gonna be interesting.

They're taking steps to isolate us from each other and everyone else...it's all well and good in theory, but it's kinda hard to maintain social distancing when you're fighting with a beligerant drunk. Thankfully call volume is down...I'm spending most of my time checking businesses and responding to an uptick in domestics. I imagine those will get worse as this goes on. Our public for the most part has been well behaved, though. Few arguments or fights in the stores. Most folks are staying home except for work and food. The decrease in traffic is pretty nice.

I'll admit it's starting to get kinda stressful, especially when all you have to do all night is sit by yourself in your car and worry about what's coming. Thankfully I'm off for the next 3 days, so I get a bit of a break.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Just started my days off for this week. Work has been absurdly quiet. I expected just the opposite with all that's going on, but I guess people are afraid to go to the hospital so a lot less medicals and less cars on the road so less MVAs.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No changes, going to work as usual. (Auto repair shop, an "essential" business.) I did leave early today. It has slowed down quite a bit - a man was laid off and another got his hours reduced - but I'm still paying the bills.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I am. 5x a week, 8 hrs per shift. There is a lot of changes going on in our hospital to retro-fit some units in anticipation of the surge in infected number. Working from home is not an option for both me and my wife. Both in the healthcare field.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I finished up the first round of fertilizing last Thursday and I've got a few more days before I've got to get out to clean up lawns and maybe mow. I rarely see a customer so social distancing is already built into the process.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work !! and work 55 + hours a week. I'm older but I still go at it. I usually rise by 4:30 am......

We are deemed essential industry so we are getting after it....

My commute is about 15 minutes and has not changed.

We are trying to do all we can to work safe but we acknowledge there is only so much we can do...

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm IT in software development and have been quarantined for 3 weeks working from home. I finally get to go back on Monday. Damn I'm looking forward to it, then I heard they're trying to shut down Salt Lake City. FUCK FUCK FUCK. Cool thing is I'm still working.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not but I'm still driving around a bit for various reasons.

I'm seeing a lot more exotics on the road on a regular basis. Usually just see them in the mornings on weekends... Now I see them frequently. I don't even know what they are called. Most look like some model of Lamborghini or Ferrari. Some I have no clue.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I work everyday. Military stuff. The days are shorter though.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I’m still going to the office, but not everyone at the company is. We sent as many people home as we could while still meeting our obligations. Luckily, only one customer has ordered us to keep at least one person on-site at their location. Being one of the folks still in the office means I’m busier than ever. No Corona vacation for me.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1Lowtrk
posted Hide Post
I am the shop Foreman for a large environmental excavation contractor. We have slowed down but start a big cleanup Tuesday at a large college.looks like be working a few more weeks.
https://www.rwcollins.com/ I guess we have been deemed essential

Posts: 248 | Location: Burbank ill | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are essential at my work , so it's 40hrs. every week and a commute that lets me drive the limit. We are normally close to 50hrs. but I've never relied on OT so it's all good.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have too... I work in a prison and my wife works 9-1-1. So we have been leaving our 16 year old son home along alot.

Staying home would be ok with me. Not looking forward to the next few weeks. Once a staff member introduces it there is a potential for it to spread fast Frown.

I wouldn't care if it was just me but my wife is an at risk group.

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Still going in, though practically nothing to do. I did do a 3-stage buffing on the Corvette today, so the day wasn't a total loss. The nice / weird thing is, I have NEVER seen this little traffic in Atlanta.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a forced sick time off. Since I volunteer a lot, I have switched from driving to work, to driving to the non-profits. Feels like I'm still working. I do like the light traffic though!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post