SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My current situation after a long weekend of prepping to build the wall! (THE WALL IS COMPLETE)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My current situation after a long weekend of prepping to build the wall! (THE WALL IS COMPLETE) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The wall looks good because the van is hard to ignore.

LOL ouch.

Maybe you should photoshop the van out as well as any other minivan on the block in future photos.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks level.

Take it apart, drink some beer, and put it back together.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Big Grin You guys are a riot. Ulsterman, aren't you building a new home too due to fire? Wondering how you ever made out.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The wall looks good because the van is hard to ignore.

LOL... Yep, nice job.
Just curious.... why did you decide to start down and around the corner (and around the downspout)?

I built a similar wall and started at the bottom of the front corner and it was a simple curve toward the front porch/step. That way the downspout would have been just behind the wall rather than going through the planter box.

My reading said you should start your base at the lowest point and level up from there. So that is why I started at that corner.

I wanted all of the block against the house without rerouting the downspout. I took it a little further down since the wall tapers back I did not want to have to trim the block to fit flush against the quoin and the rest of the brick face on a couple of the blocks, though I ended up having to do so with the top row half block anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Can you use some sort of stone handsaw to cut down that brick?

I wanted to cut the block on the side of the stoop as I think it would look better but it would have been a huge cut and not worth getting a different saw for one cut.
I cut the other side that butts up next to the block. It was just a corner cut the I got creative with a circular saw, diamond blade, then trimmed with a chisel.
It will look just fine with the cap on it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have never taken you for a racist. But, there's the proof; you built a WALL. Eek Big Grin

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Nice work! Nice looking wall.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
That is going to look fantastic!

Is that bed going to be something that gets watered regularly? If so you might want to paint on a coat of waterproofing on the bricks before backfilling, and add some 6 mill plastic sheeting to the back side of the blocks to retard the soil from drying out quickly maybe. Those blocks will suck the moisture right out of the soil in hot weather.

My Grandparents had almost the same exact setup. Almost imposable to keep plants alive in the bed.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
This is super nitpicky but, looking at the last pic you posted, I see a lot of bricks out of alignment--especially the top one by the downspout. Were you just placing the blocks and are going to rearrange them before finalizing the build?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's all fine and well...but what's up with those ugly ass wheels on that minivan? Wink

Big Grin

(wall looks nice)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is super nitpicky but, looking at the last pic you posted, I see a lot of bricks out of alignment--especially the top one by the downspout. Were you just placing the blocks and are going to rearrange them before finalizing the build?

I actually built in some imperfections hoping people will pay attention to them and not notice the ugly ass van in the driveway Wink

There are 2 blocks that are pretty far out of alignment that are bothersome. Mainly that top half block at the quoin and down spout. There are way too many cuts to get that one to fully line up there is just not enough meat left on the block for me to trim it anymore. It is in the back corner and once the cap is on it will be hard to tell unless you go down there.
The others just have to be that way with the angle of the turn to get it lined up to go straight to the stoop.
The cap will help to hide it a little bit. It is not perfect and likely never be unless I hire someone which in this day and age is still no gauruntee. So for my 1st wall I am very happy. We're here for many years to come so if I can live with it but more importantly mama is happy with it we're golden.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
That is going to look fantastic!

Is that bed going to be something that gets watered regularly? If so you might want to paint on a coat of waterproofing on the bricks before backfilling, and add some 6 mill plastic sheeting to the back side of the blocks to retard the soil from drying out quickly maybe. Those blocks will suck the moisture right out of the soil in hot weather.

My Grandparents had almost the same exact setup. Almost imposable to keep plants alive in the bed.

I had not thought of the paint on waterproofing after I backfill crap fill dirt I will put plastic down before the planting soil goes in.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So the wall is done. While I am sure there are imperfections that Orguss' super duper quad 4k monitor will show I am good with that. I am quite happy with how it turned out for never doing one of these before.
Had a little struggle as this is as deep as I could get my saw to cut so a little caress with the hammer and a little edge finish with the chisel and it turned out pretty well.

And the ugly ass minivan doubled as the ugly ass utility van as it carted 22 caps for the wall.

The squat was deep! I will certainly be adding airbags to the rear springs to eliminate the squat when I am at full load.

————————————————

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Nice wall!
As a builder I have to ask...What is behind the brick that you buried? Is it a framed wall or (I hope) concrete?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Not too shabby!

As one who has built a similar "retaining wall" sort of thing out of nearly identical "bricks", I must warn you - if you didn't use some sort of caulk or mortar, or maybe line the inside somehow before you backfilled, the rain will eventually wash micro-dirt through the joints and the wall will turn dirt-colored. You'll have to pressure wash it regularly to keep it that pretty gray color.

Sorry I didn't jump in here and mention that before - just in case you care.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
You've got fine beginnings of a fortified defensive fighting position! Well done!

Firing holes and another 2' of blocks now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Looks good! That was good practice.

Now you need to report to Wall Building Barracks 22c in San Antonio for your 2 year volunteer stint building THE wall!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
San Antonio?
We've already ceded that much territory?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
San Antonio?
We've already ceded that much territory?

That's where the staging barracks are Razz Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I think the line is now along NM/OK. Texas is behind enemy lines...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Heck, the wall looks good. Nice van too BTW. When Autumn comes back around, you can plant some garlic in there.. Cool

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post