SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My current situation after a long weekend of prepping to build the wall! (THE WALL IS COMPLETE)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My current situation after a long weekend of prepping to build the wall! (THE WALL IS COMPLETE) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Spent the weekend ripping out boxwoods, replanting them in the back (praying they live) and prepping the front landscape beds for a wall. Ripping roots out of the front yard so I can actually till up the yard and hopefully have a decent base to actually grow grass.
Then digging a trench to bury the downspouts and unloading the wall blocks for tomorrow.

I go from the boxwoods new location

And the landscape area prepped for tomorrow's wall build

To my current situation watching my boys enjoy our backyard in this awesome weather

I much prefer the latter but need to get this place in order and looking good!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
That's all fine and well...but what's up with those ugly ass wheels on that minivan? Wink

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
That's all fine and well...but what's up with those ugly ass wheels on that minivan? Wink

LOL

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:

LOL

Shots fired Big Grin

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
OMG, that reminds me how much I hated suburbia!

Good luck, we're all counting on you to uphold the title of best house on the street, happiest wife ever, best lawn 4 years running per the HOA, and all that. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know it is pretty embarrassing!!! Razz
But the yard needs love and it is taking the money. Plus the tires are brand new so I figure why waste them. Wear them out then toss some winter tires on and get some better looking wheels down the road.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
OMG, that reminds me how much I hated suburbia!

Good luck, we're all counting on you to uphold the title of best house on the street, happiest wife ever, best lawn 4 years running per the HOA, and all that. Wink

We are without a doubt the worst yard on the street if not most of the neighborhood. We bought the house 2 years ago was empty for a year prior to purchasing and 3 years prior to that the owners did nothing and would let the weeds grow and grow. The neighbors have a picture of the grass growing taller than their 6 year old daughter. I took a tree down last summer that would smack the neighbors house and the roots were headed towards the foundation.
The inside needed some love too and those projects took priority and now it is time to knock out the front yard. The backyard is decent and will just need some treatments and a powerseeding.

As for living in suburbia if I had my way we would be on some acreage. But with many things the wife being happy is a bit more important. We have a great house I have a great shop have a big backyard and we are on a very quiet street with good neighbors.
And as far as HOAs go we have a very good one that is still run and managed by home owners with common sense.
I have a Tarter cattle gate on the other side of the house and no one has said a word.

————————————————

Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Have you considered running 90 degree piece of 4" PVC from the downspout into the ground. That 4" corrugated will break away over the years. I know from experience. Also if you ever want to run Christmas lights there, now it the time for an outlet.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
What are you using for a base?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
Have you considered running 90 degree piece of 4" PVC from the downspout into the ground. That 4" corrugated will break away over the years. I know from experience. Also if you ever want to run Christmas lights there, now it the time for an outlet.

Sure had not. A little too late now though.

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
What are you using for a base?

I tamper and leveling stone.
Caps go on tomorrow if I can figure out how to cut this last block as my saw is too small. The other side I was able to split with the air chisel but this needs to be a bit more precise and I keep splitting the block.

————————————————

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Soooooo, how did you get all them blocks home? Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
looks good!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Soooooo, how did you get all them blocks home? Big Grin

in that ugly ass van....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You guys are keeping right on him about his van.. Big Grin. I would never load those big bastards in a van that nice.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
You guys are keeping right on him about his van.. Big Grin. I would never load those big bastards in a van that nice.

I wouldn't either. Father in law has a truck.
I will put the caps in the rear tomorrow. They don't take up as much space and I won't need nearly as many.
I think the weathertech mats will protect the cargo are just well enough.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
This may not be a popular opinion, judging by the previous posts, but I think the wall looks good. Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jayhalsey:
This may not be a popular opinion, judging by the previous posts, but I think the wall looks good. Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures.

The wall looks good because the van is hard to ignore.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
well done. that is pretty cool and is really looking good.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Looks like you did a really great job.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The wall looks good because the van is hard to ignore.

LOL... Yep, nice job.
Just curious.... why did you decide to start down and around the corner (and around the downspout)?

I built a similar wall and started at the bottom of the front corner and it was a simple curve toward the front porch/step. That way the downspout would have been just behind the wall rather than going through the planter box.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24106 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Can you use some sort of stone handsaw to cut down that brick?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post