SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE in OP: home owner was a Vietnam Vet (and white) ---> Aurora CO officers shoot home owner after home owner shoots intruder during home invasion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE in OP: home owner was a Vietnam Vet (and white) ---> Aurora CO officers shoot home owner after home owner shoots intruder during home invasion Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Last year, I was up late and noticed a flashlight scanning around in my back yard. I grabbed my P220 and a flashlight and went to peer out a big sliding glass door that looks out over the yard. I shine my light on the guy holding the flashlight out there, and it's a uniformed police officer. I have my pistol at low ready. I don't think he saw it yet. I quickly put it down on a table and walk away from it and open the door to identify myself. His weapon is still holstered. He lets me know that they got a silent alarm signal and he's looking for signs of forced entry. I don't think he realized I ever had a gun at the ready. I am just glad I used a flashlight instead of a WML. It was a very scary situation, and it could have gone a lot worse for me. The only thing I could think to do differently would be to call 911 when I noticed the flashlight outside rather than confront the threat myself. Perhaps they could have told me they had an officer on scene.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Proof positive you search with your flashlight, you shoot with your WML.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I hope that idiot gets fired and thrown in prison for a long ass time. Preferably in a cell with someone he arrested.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Tough situation, and I'm not really sure how it could be improved. To the forum LEOs, how good are dispatchers at relaying a description of the person calling in?

Only ever as good as the caller, but note that it appears the officers heard gunfire and responded.

Uhm - "Police officer - DROP YOUR WEAPON!!" instead of "bang, bang - "oh shit Barney, that was the good guy"." Wink
You're assuming facts not in evidence, and I'm about to do the same.

The homeowner just fired his gun inside his home presumably without hearing protection and his system probably just did a huge adrenaline dump. It's entirely possible the LEOs identified themselves in their loudest voice and the homeowner couldn't hear shit.

True, and I thought about that until reading the following which indicated the officer(s) shot from OUTSIDE the home (through a window?).

"Police described the scene as chaotic. Upon arriving, officers heard gunshots fired from inside the home, and encountered an armed man, police said. An officer fired his gun, hitting the man who turned out to be a resident. He was taken to a local hospital where he later died.

After the resident was shot, officers went inside the home and found an injured juvenile and a dead man police described as an “intruder,” who was down on a bathroom floor."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cleared my back yard

Yeah, no thanks on that one. Unnecessary, too wide open and who was inside your house controlling that at the time?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
^^^^
Proof positive you search with your flashlight, you shoot with your WML.

Yup. Both have their uses, but they absolutely are NOT interchangeable.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Original post updated...

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Shot from OUTSIDE his home?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot until shot at. I know I get heat when I say things like this, but this is how it should be. If it's good enough in a war zone, it's good enough in our neighborhoods.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Before we get too worked up about the cops shooting INTO the house, let’s consider for just a moment that this was perhaps poor writing. We’re so quick to sneer at “service revolvers” being mentioned in news articles when the cop is in a photo with a holstered Glock, but when a news article says “After the resident was shot, officers went inside the home” some of you want to latch onto it like it tells the whole story. What we know for sure is that police shot the guy. What we don’t know for sure is when and how it happened.

Let’s see the bodycam footage. We know the cop fucked up, that’s not worth arguing. I’d like to see where and how he/she fucked up, so if I’m ever on the other end of this shit situation, I know of one more thing that can provoke a nerved-out flatfoot to light me up.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
The kid in Oklahoma who shot 3 with an AR barricaded himself in his room and stayed in contact with dispatch. Smart kid.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Don't shoot until shot at.

Well hear comes your heat. That's about the most asinine, inane, BEYOND moronic "advice" I think I've EVER heard. Yeah...might work for ROE's when you have a squad that has your back, but this ain't Iraq, buddy. It's just me, myself, and I in MY house, and it's either me or him. And it ain't gonna be me...

JSMFH... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well hear comes your heat. That's about the most asinine, inane, BEYOND moronic "advice" I think I've EVER heard. Yeah...might work for ROE's when you have a squad that has your back, but this ain't Iraq, buddy.

Well let's just hope it's not you making a "furtive movement" when you're at the business end of a weapon.

I've been there several times. I prefer not to be shot when I'm not doing anything worthy of getting shot over. I'm not going to be collateral damage.

You think that's OK, and that's your opinion. You're entitled to it. I'm not going to call you names over it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Didn't call you one name, buddy, so I'd appreciate your retractions of that insinuation. I said your ADVICE was asinine, inane, and moronic.

Yeah...that reading comprehension thing. I'm punchin' out, so you have the last word.

So I just HAVE to ask...if someone is breaking/has broken into your home, you're going to WAIT to get shot at before shooting??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Didn't call you one name, buddy, so....

I don’t have a dog in this fight, buddy, but I gotta say, your tone is rather emotional and nasty, buddy. Buddy.

Buddy.

Can’t we all just be pals instead? Big Grin

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Guess "buddy" is a new "trigger" word now... [rubs chin pondering]. I know...I'll use "pal"!!!

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Another interesting thread that has devolved into bullshit Roll Eyes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Guess "buddy" is a new "trigger" word now... [rubs chin pondering]. I know...I'll use "pal"!!!

You seem pretty worked up over this.

posted Hide Post
Pictured: Naked intruder, 26, shot dead by homeowner, 73, who was then mistakenly killed by police - as it's revealed officer who opened fire on grandfather was involved in ANOTHER fatal shooting one month ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ner-killed-cops.html

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Totally. Fucked. Up.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post