SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE in OP: home owner was a Vietnam Vet (and white) ---> Aurora CO officers shoot home owner after home owner shoots intruder during home invasion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE in OP: home owner was a Vietnam Vet (and white) ---> Aurora CO officers shoot home owner after home owner shoots intruder during home invasion Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
UPDATE:

The home owner shot was a Vietnam Vet protecting his GRANDSON from a NAKED intruder.

Source: Man fatally shot by Aurora police after shooting home intruder identified as Vietnam veteran

AURORA, Colo. — The man who was fatally shot by police after he allegedly shot a man breaking into his home has been identified by a family attorney as a veteran of the Vietnam War.

Attorney Siddhartha Rathod said Richard "Gary" Black Jr. was shot and killed by Aurora police early Monday.

Black was a former federal agent and a Purple Heart recipient, Rathod said.

Around 1:30 a.m. Monday, Aurora police responded to a report that a man had broken into a home near E. Montview Boulevard and Iola Street.

Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz said in a news release Monday that arriving officers heard gunshots and ran into Black, who lived in the home and was armed. An officer shot him and he died at a local hospital.

Officers found a juvenile injured inside the home and a man shot dead on the floor of a bathroom. The child was taken to the hospital for serious, but not life-threatening injuries that were caused by the intruder, Aurora police said in Monday's release.

Metz said Monday that Black, who was a resident of the home, is believed to have fatally shot the man who broke into the home.

Rathod said that the man who broke into the home was naked and attacked Black’s 11-year-old grandson by trying to drown the boy in a bathtub. Rathod said Black fought the man off and eventually killed him.

“Gary is absolutely the hero who saved his grandson’s life,” Rathod said. “His death is a tragic incident.”

Rathod said the grandson has since been released from the hospital.

In a newspaper clipping Rathod says the family provided, Black is seen being congratulated for earing the Bronze Star, Army Commendation medal and a Purple heart. The article says Black received the medals for outstanding service while serving in Vietnam with the 1st Infantry Division.

Rathod said police fired from outside the home while Black was still inside the home. The officer who shot Black is on paid administrative leave, as is standard.

Aurora police said in a news release issued Tuesday evening that Chief Metz would be holding a press conference along with the district attorney's office on Thursday to further discuss the case.

"This incident was not only tragic, but incredibly heartbreaking for the involved family, the community, and our Department," the release read, in part. "This makes it even more difficult in not being able to provide information at this time as we are committed to being transparent and sharing information as soon as possible after a critical incident."

Click here to read the full release, which is also embedded below.

Picture:

=============ORIGINAL POST==================
Saw this on the news this morning, and they updated the news story this evening.... very very tragic...

To level set those not familiar with the Denver metro area, Montview/Aurora and/or the Montbello area which is just north of this street is a higher crime area.

Aurora police fatally shoot armed resident who killed intruder during home invasion

AURORA, Colo. — An armed resident and an intruder were killed following a home invasion and officer-involved shooting in Aurora on Monday morning.

Police said they arrived to 10609 East Montview Boulevard shortly after 1:30 a.m. on Monday morning where they heard shots fired from inside the home and encountered an armed adult man. Police shot the man who later turned out to be the resident.

The homeowner was transported to an area hospital with gunshot wounds where he later died.

When police went inside the home, they found a found the intruder dead on the bathroom floor who was fatally shot by the armed resident.

Authorities also found a juvenile who was transported to a local hospital for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries, caused by the deceased intruder.

The identities of the victims have not been released.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James in Denver,

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a fear of mine. Not that the cops would show up so fast - but that responders overreact. From a homeowners perspective, you don't know if there were more than one, so you want to stay vigilant, and if the cop didn't announce his presence, he made the situation worse, not better.

In my metro region, the cops show up 20-30 minutes following calls for gunfire, and 60-90 minutes after B&E calls.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Tough situation, and I'm not really sure how it could be improved. To the forum LEOs, how good are dispatchers at relaying a description of the person calling in?

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Tough situation, and I'm not really sure how it could be improved. To the forum LEOs, how good are dispatchers at relaying a description of the person calling in?

From the sounds of it, it does not sound like a call was a ever made. They (police) heard shots, entered, saw a man with a gun. You know the rest. Again, if police enter a residence, I certainly hope they announced their presence. God knows if the office was shot and killed it would be manslaughter.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only ever as good as the caller, but note that it appears the officers heard gunfire and responded.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Had an incident locally several months ago.

Guy left his front door open.

Neighbors noticed the open door about 2:30 AM and called the police.

Police showed up, knocked, rang the doorbell and verbally announced/asked if anyone was in the premises.

Not getting any reply, they entered, guy walks into view with gun in hand and gets shot by one of the officers.

(shot him in the laig...)

He dropped the weapon and identified himself as the homeowner.

Cop put on admin leave and State Attorny got the report to evaluate the "lawful use of force" by the officer.

Heck, I remember when I was a young man and sleeping with the doors and windows open all night.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's starting to sound like if one ever needs to use a gun in self defense, they should immediately hide the gun used so it's not visible to any LEOs arriving.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot more to this story than we are being told, I’m fairly certain.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Dead men tell no tales so there is no way you are going to find out why the Po Po killed the good guy here. Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
note that it appears the officers heard gunfire and responded.

Yep, we noted it. They still fucked up even though they were 'justified'.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Here's an older story from where I used to live. Homeowner shot the cop. Weird circumstances. Alarm company involved, 3 house alarms, 2 set off by cops. In the end the home owner wasn't charged but he lost his license to carry, and lost a 1.2 million dollar lawsuit.

http://www.telegram.com/articl...40227/NEWS/302279802

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
To the forum LEOs, how good are dispatchers at relaying a description of the person calling in?

My 911 center was always, ALWAYS screwing up stuff that was to be relayed to the officer.

I once called in to 911 to report a kid with a Molotov cocktail in my backyard, about to start a fire....I realized 911:
(1) didn't get that I was an off duty officer-even using my call number,
(2)began giving out the wrong description
(3) gave the wrong direction of travel.....

I gave up, hung up the phone and got my police radio and turned it to the fire channel and dispatched them myself, and told the responding truck where to go based on the winds and fire's spread, then switched to the PD channel and gave the right info on the suspect(s), direction of travel and where to find the kid(s)

I have seen/heard 911 bungle many things because they were tied to scripts and couldn't think outside of the box.

I could go on..but not all TC's were bad; just a few were short of a full deck and were hired because of politics or other reasons...it was just that each shift had one guy who couldn't dispatch a hamburger order....and he was always on the PD channel....

Anyway, If I found someone in my home and I then ventilated him; I'd make sure the gun was put up before I called 911 or opened the door for the cops, and I'd damn sure keep the phone in my hand and advise my description several times until the TC got it out over the air.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
How to avoid that?

Keep your doors locked and weapon ready.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I'd damn sure keep the phone in my hand and advise my description several times until the TC got it out over the air.

And got it out RIGHT.

Dispatcher reversed my description ("I'm an off-duty officer from xxxx, WM wearing xxxx and yyyy") with that of the suspect ("BM wearing zzzz, on foot, last running westbound on xxxx") but did manage to get the "suspect is armed" correct.

Yeah. A little tense.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few more details:

https://www.denverpost.com/201...lice-shoot-resident/

“He was a family man”: Neighbors react after Aurora police fatally shot resident who killed intruder.
“This is a very heartbreaking and tragic situation for everyone involved.”

By KIERAN NICHOLSON | knicholson@denverpost.com and NOELLE PHILLIPS | nphillips@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: July 30, 2018 at 4:54 pm | UPDATED: July 30, 2018 at 7:47 pm

A resident who had just shot and killed an intruder was shot and killed himself by Aurora police early Monday morning.

Police were responding to a report of a disturbance when they shot the armed man at his residence, Aurora police said in a Monday afternoon news release.

Neighbors described the man shot by an officer as a long-time resident, grandfather and retired family man who often tended to his front gardens. His name was not released on Monday.

The shooting incident is being investigated by the Aurora Police Major Crimes Unit along with the Denver Police Department. State law requires law enforcement agencies to team up with neighboring agencies to investigate officer-involved shootings, according to the news release.

The officer-involved shooting happened at about 1:30 a.m. at 10609 E. Montview Boulevard, police said.

At that time, Aurora dispatchers had received multiple 911 calls about a disturbance in the area. Dispatchers also received a 911 call from a woman at the address who said a man was breaking into her home, police said.

Police described the scene as chaotic. Upon arriving, officers heard gunshots fired from inside the home, and encountered an armed man, police said. An officer fired his gun, hitting the man who turned out to be a resident. He was taken to a local hospital where he later died.

After the resident was shot, officers went inside the home and found an injured juvenile and a dead man police described as an “intruder,” who was down on a bathroom floor.

The injured juvenile was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries, caused by the intruder.

“Our preliminary investigation has revealed the deceased intruder on the bathroom floor was fatally shot by the armed adult male resident,” police said.

Neighbors along the busy stretch of Montview Boulevard did not realize the long-time resident had been killed by a police officer until news reports were released late Monday afternoon.

“It’s sad and screwed up,” said Brad Maestas, who has known the family for 34 years.

Maestas heard gunshots that woke him and he first thought someone was trying to break into his house. Maestas said he grabbed a gun but put it away when he saw all of the police cars swarming around his neighbor’s home.

Maestas saw paramedics take his neighbor away on a gurney. He was trying to cope with the trauma and care for his mother, who lives with him.

“He was a family man — a grandpa that was protecting his family,” Maestas said. “It’s messed up.”

Susan Askoul met the family when she moved back to her childhood home to care for her aging mother. She said she got to know the family at the funeral of another long-time neighborhood resident.

The man who was killed by police was retired and spent hours tending to flowers in his yard, neighbors said. He also sometimes took care of his neighbor’s yard, and he would call if he noticed something or someone out of place at her home. “We all kind of look out for each other,” she said.

Neighbors were waiting for more information from police on the intruder: Who was he? Why would he have burst into their retired neighbor’s home in the middle of the night?

“He could have picked my house,” Askoul said.

The name of the intruder was also not released Monday. The officer who fired has been placed on administrative reassignment with pay, per department policy.

“This is a very heartbreaking and tragic situation for everyone involved,” Chief Nick Metz said in a written statement.

The 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office is also involved in the ongoing investigation.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

Only ever as good as the caller, but note that it appears the officers heard gunfire and responded.

Uhm - "Police officer - DROP YOUR WEAPON!!" instead of "bang, bang - "oh shit Barney, that was the good guy"." Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

Uhm - "Police officer - DROP YOUR WEAPON!!" instead of "bang, bang - "oh shit Barney, that was the good guy"." Wink
You're assuming facts not in evidence, and I'm about to do the same.

The homeowner just fired his gun inside his home presumably without hearing protection and his system probably just did a huge adrenaline dump. It's entirely possible the LEOs identified themselves in their loudest voice and the homeowner couldn't hear shit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
How to avoid that?

Keep your doors locked and weapon ready.

Agreed. Unfortunately, in this case, it was a home invasion, so it's unlikely the door was locked.

Q

Posts: 26338 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Officers heard shots. Assume perp shooting home owner if not why shoot. Police enter home. Should be aware shooter and others can’t hear. Difficult task for sure takes balls of steel. Police shoot first person walks up to them. Older man wearing pajamas no shoes or socks, more likely just his undies. Police at minimum had flashlights on,its possible homeowner initially raised gun not knowing if there were more then 1 perp. Police fired on and killed homeowner. all hypothetical but I can’t wrap my arms around what would have caused the police to believe he was the bad guy.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:
note that it appears the officers heard gunfire and responded.

Yep, we noted it. They still fucked up even though they were 'justified'.

Sigh.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post