SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fudge. My iPod died.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fudge. My iPod died. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My Nano didn't survive its washing machine encounter. Bought a Touch. Had it for about 4 years now, but I try like the devil to keep from the updates. Every update now it seems all hell breaks loose.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I am still trying to figure out why you named your iPod Fudge. Smile

I named mine "Titanic". It was the only way i could get it to sync.

BAA-hahahaha!! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just had a bulged battery replaced (free under Apple Care) on my 2013 MBP. It included a new battery and top case. I have since adopted a new practice of taking devices off of the charger once they reach 100%, rather than leaving them plugged in for extended periods of time, and relying on the so-called smart charging algorithms. I also just purchased a Gen 6 iPod Touch, @ $200. I like having a separate device for my tunes. In addition to syncing my entire iTunes library to it, an Apple Music subscription opens up all sorts of music. The Touch looks just like a miniature iPhone, with touch screen, lightning plug, and yes a real 3.5mm phone socket for your headphones or earbuds. It includes a suite of Apple Apps, such as Mail and of course Music, but many others It is seeing a lot of use, and can connect to my truck's system with the Aux input. In the truck, I am limited to my iTunes library since it is out of Wi-Fi range for Apple Music.

I did some research after getting it back, and the thing that made the most sense was to "keep the electrons moving" to keep the battery healthy. IOW, use it off the charger, then charge it, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I just had a bulged battery replaced (free under Apple Care) on my 2013 MBP.

Having just picked up a MacBook Pro from a friend, I have to ask: what's causing the bulged battery? Is that for sure a charging issue, or something else?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Having just picked up a MacBook Pro from a friend, I have to ask: what's causing the bulged battery? Is that for sure a charging issue, or something else?

I would phone the Apple store, ASAP. Apple did have a run of defective batteries some time ago.

Chinese made batteries.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Other than its being a defective battery, that's the only explanation I can come up with. Apple provided no info. I did leave this MBP on my desktop 95% of the time, with the charger plugged in. Most of that time, of course, the light was green. It had only 8 battery cycles when I sent it back, so it was a relatively unused battery. Bought it new in July 2015, and just made it in under Apple Care, with about 30 days to spare.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did leave this MBP on my desktop 95% of the time, with the charger plugged in.

Thank you for the tip, Henry. I'm making a point now to unplug the MBP as soon as charging is finished.

quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
If you want it send me an email

Thank you again, too, Mark. SF generosity shines yet again!

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

I would phone the Apple store, ASAP. Apple did have a run of defective batteries some time ago.

Chinese made batteries.

Roll Eyes Just about every component in every consumer electronic device is made in China. When you manufacture and sell billions of portable devices with Li-Ion batteries, you are going to have a bad batch every now and again regardless of where the components are made. I find it puzzling and hilarious that people who bemoan the fact that high quality, affordable consumer electronic devices are made overseas in developing nations, buy those same products anyway.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakata8242:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

Chinese made batteries.

Roll Eyes Just about every component in every consumer electronic device is made in China. When you manufacture and sell billions of portable devices with Li-Ion batteries, you are going to have a bad batch every now and again regardless of where the components are made. I find it puzzling and hilarious that people who bemoan the fact that high quality, affordable consumer electronic devices are made overseas in developing nations, buy those same products anyway.

Because most people are cheap and big box stores cater to those people.

I've had experience with Chinese motorcycle batteries that leaked or died within a year. Old technology and they couldn't get it right.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post