SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fudge. My iPod died.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fudge. My iPod died. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I've had a 5th generation Nano for a bunch of years, and it's lived through everything I've put it through. Until today.

I picked it up off the counter a couple of days ago, intending to charge it, and noticed a stripe down the screen. I figured the last washing machine trip had taken a toll on the screen. When I plugged it in to charge, things did light up momentarily so I figured I would just be screen-less.

This afternoon I picked it up and found the screen and glass sticking up and outward. It's as if the battery has expanded, pushing other components outward. I believe it can be declared dead now.

Crap. I liked the Nano because it was thin and light, and fit easily into a pocket. It was great for use when mowing or working in the yard.

Naturally, I want a replacement. I'm tempted to go the eBay route, but I also wonder what's out there that's better. I know I can put music on my phone, but I don't mind having separate devices, and my phone is simply bigger/heavier than the old tiny iPod.

What do you recommend, SF?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Take it to the Apple Store. Yes, I'm sure it is long out of warranty, but you might get a pleasant surprise.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Check with a Batteries Plus (or similar) store. It might just be that the battery got bloated, and can be replaced.

We have had that happen (swollen batteries) on iPhone and MacBook batteries. Just stick a new battery in and Bob's your uncle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Check with a Batteries Plus (or similar) store. It might just be that the battery got bloated, and can be replaced.

Awesome! I'll check out that option. Thank you, V-Tail.
* Edit: As it goes, Batteries Plus will work on the iPod Touch, but not the Nano. Phooey.

Architect: I don't have an Apple Store nearby, unfortunately. The economic reality is that getting to one would cost me twice as much in fuel as a used iPod on eBay. (Darnit.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I have another option. I've had a 16gb iPod nano for a number of years. I love it but I've gotten away from iStuff and don't use it any more.

Email is in my profile. If you want it send me an email with an address where I can send it. Did yours use the lightning connector? If not, I will stick a cable in the box as well.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, battery expansion killed my iPhone 5. Took it to a Genius Bar (I know you said you're not near an Apple Store, unfortunately). Resolution: free new iPhone 5. (I dedided it was a good time to upgrade to an i7 anyways, so my buddy got a free new iPhone 5.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
I have another option.

Thank you, Mark, that's way generous. I'll email you, and we'll discuss what I can do to make a fair trade of it. Smile

God bless America.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to figure out why you named your iPod Fudge. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

I was hungry.
And because "Boogerhead" is already assigned to the dog. Razz

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured the last washing machine trip had taken a toll on the screen....

Gee, 'ya think?

I remember reading sometime ago that Electronic devices don't do well in water.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
I figured the last washing machine trip had taken a toll on the screen....

Gee, 'ya think?

I remember reading sometime ago that Electronic devices don't do well in water.

The first two trips didn't kill it. "Third time is the charm," they say.

God bless America.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If you don't work out a trade with Mark and you're thinking used, I would consider a certified Apple used product. Comes with a 1 year warranty, it was refurbed by Apple. I bought my wife an iPhone 6s a couple years ago this way. Saved about 15% and it ended up pooping out a few months later. A trip to the Apple Store, some diagnostic work by them which resulted in no luck and she received a new phone.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I rue the day my Nano dies.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have an older Nano as well if the above don’t work out. 4th or 5th gen.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Address received. This is a good ending to a rather crappy day.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, all.

God bless America.

Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
The members here are awesome!!!

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerBook:
The members here are awesome!!!

Absolutely amazing.

God bless America.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

I named mine "Titanic". It was the only way i could get it to sync.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

I named mine "Titanic". It was the only way i could get it to sync.

Snerk.... Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post