SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for home Security in central FL... House was burgalarized.. Guns stolen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for home Security in central FL... House was burgalarized.. Guns stolen Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear you are going through this, I will say thank you though, your story had me take a 2 hour round trip drive home to secure the guns I had sitting around. I have also gotten a little lax.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
I put the blame on myself for this and am learning the hard way unfortunately.

Don't beat yourself up. You're not the criminal.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

I'd be tempted to set up cameras, then find a reason to make small talk with the neighbor. Tell him you are glad you weren't going to buy your boat until this next weekend, because your money was still in the bank. HA! Stupid criminals. Money is there this weekend, not last! And the idiots didn't even find the safe with the coin collection. Total amateurs.

Then wait.

I'm not sure this is a good idea, although it's tempting. Not only does it sound like it may be entrapment but do you really want to invite them to come back? You could be outnumbered by armed goons with no reservations about coming in shooting. Do you really want to be in a shootout? Anyway, that's my opinion.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
INCOMING! You've got email. I have an older Mossberg 500A that I will drive over for you to borrow until you can find what you're looking for.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
No matter what system you choose, make sure it has a cellular backup. Burglars often cut phone lines to disable alarms.

I've never understood why the phone lines don't always come in underground. I had that done when our home was built for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If it hasn't been said yet I would take your gun serial numbers to local pawn shops to see if they show up. Did you have home owners or renters insurance?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Because it's more expense for everyone involved in the installation (phone company, house developer, etc.)

quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
No matter what system you choose, make sure it has a cellular backup. Burglars often cut phone lines to disable alarms.

I've never understood why the phone lines don't always come in underground. I had that done when our home was built for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

He stated his house is nearly 100 years old. Underground utilities are more money to initially install, especially where existing infrastructure already exists (decks, patios, landscaping, driveways, etc), and typically are only seen in new construction where the cost can be amortized into the loan. They are also more expensive to fix if something does go wrong.

To the OP:
Do not become over confident in a gun safe. A portable metal saw with a good blade can peel off a side in just a few minutes. This makes a lot of noise, and this is what acts as a deterrent, along with your security system.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:
I put the blame on myself for this and am learning the hard way unfortunately.

Don't beat yourself up. You're not the criminal.

This all totally sucks, but you are not to blame. Only the filthy thieves are to blame. I hope they catch them and you get some stuff back and some resolution. Mad

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I lapsed in my security measures and was irresponsible with my guns and my conversation with my friend/neighbor. I put the blame on myself for this and am learning the hard way unfortunately.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. Just badly enough that you're not likely to repeat the mistakes Wink

I never discuss the contents of our home, of any type, much less firearms, with neighbours. In fact: I strive to remain just close enough to my neighbours to stay on good speaking terms with them, and no more.

I keep an eye on their homes. I hope they're doing the same for me.

I allowed our home security to lapse badly for a while. I fixed it a year ago or so. Now it's better than ever. I still plan to add video surveillance, yet.

As for wires: We'll soon have LTE network connectivity backup and automatic fail-over.

When the man cave is done, the safe will be relocated there. I'm toying with the idea of replacing the cheap interior door with a solid wood door, and putting an exterior style lock set on it, keyed differently than the external entrances. It won't stop 'em once they get inside, but, it will slow them down a bit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
All, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has offered advice, and a very special thank you to the local forum members who reached out to me personally and offered assistance.

Without getting into too much detail, I have taken the necessary steps to secure and defend the house. The authorities are following some leads, hopefully those leads bear fruit, and they catch the perpetrators.

I was pretty stressed out and couldn't sleep for a few days, and my girlfriend has been really affected. She doesn't feel safe anywhere anymore, especially in our home. Our whole routine has changed, and we are approaching our personal relationships very differently now.

Regarding insurance and serial numbers. I have serial numbers for half of the guns. I took pictures of everything before the last hurricane, but those pictures are on my laptop which was stolen. My insurance only covers a certain amount for guns, it is not even close to the value of the guns, but that's my fault for not updating the policy over the years as I added more guns to the stable. I didn't realize that the total loss coverage was compartmentalized. It's another tough lesson, but it is what it is.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with SimpliSafe, but I have no experience with cameras.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puddle Pirate
Picture of kornesque
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
INCOMING! You've got email. I have an older Mossberg 500A that I will drive over for you to borrow until you can find what you're looking for.

Cockles status: warmed

"Happiness is red and free."

Posts: 1794 | Location: Low Country, SC | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
My insurance only covers a certain amount for guns, it is not even close to the value of the guns, but that's my fault for not updating the policy over the years as I added more guns to the stable. I didn't realize that the total loss coverage was compartmentalized. It's another tough lesson, but it is what it is.

Are you an NRA member, I think there is some basic coverage for firearms for being a member there is a basic $2,500 in coverage, might not get you whole but it's better than nothing.

I opted for $10,000 in coverage from the NRA and it is $94 a year, a bargain.

https://mynrainsurance.com/ins...ign=insuremyguns.com

Were you able to locate the safe you want and get it installed?

Posts: 23568 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree don't beat yourself up too bad.

But absolutely get a safe asap. It doesn't have to be a $2,500 top-of-the-line model to be effective vs. a meth-head.

I would advise to get a dial lock - not an electronic key pad lock. For the cost of like one and a half nice pistols you could get something decent.

Good luck-

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Burglars often cut phone lines to disable alarms.

Copper phone lines are history. Verizon doesn't keep them up and the quality is terrible. More and more are going broadband or totally cellular.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post