SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for home Security in central FL... House was burgalarized.. Guns stolen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for home Security in central FL... House was burgalarized.. Guns stolen Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted
So my house was burglarized today. Two nights ago the alarm went off at 4am. I grab a shotgun and head downstairs... Nothing. I turn off the alarm and reset it. I figured it was a glitch or was tripped by a bad wire or a bug or something. 2 days later the house is turned inside out and all my guns are gone. I'm pretty sure it has to do with a neighbor friend of mine who has a junkie brother in town that he is trying to get clean. Some bad guys came looking for him because he owed them money. I think he found out from his brother that I had guns and was shopping for a boat ( ie: had some cash). They took the paintings and mirrors off the walls looking for a safe... And they turned out every drawer in the house. They left a ton of valuables ( tvs, ipads, cameras, etc). I'm a little worried that they will come back looking for cash since they didn't find any (there wasn't any to find) and will try to force me to show them the money... I figure thay was there plan when they first tried to break in at 4am. Looking back my neighbor has asked me some weird questions about if I have a safe and where I keep my guns. I've known him for 4 years... But you never really know people.

Anyway, I'd like to upgrade to a good system with monitoring and cameras. The system that came with my house is old and I didn't have any monitoring. My gf is freaking out and I'd like to give her some peace of mind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ACTEG,

Posts: 3589 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Damn, were it me, I would move. I wouldnt recover well after being violated by scum like this. Hope you get some good advice here.

Posts: 17983 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your break in.
That really sucks.
How did they get into your house?

I hope you have at least one gun left to defend yourself if they decide to come back.

Posts: 1794 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
They broke a window on the back door. The alarm wasn't on because my Gf thought it was acting up and didn't want it to malfunction with the dog by herself. I thought that was a bad idea but we compromised on using the alarm while we were in the house for a few days and if no more false alarms we would go back to using it as usual. Of course now we know it was not a false alarm. The fact that they came back, even after learning there was an alarm is a little discomforting They obviously knew there was a pay day inside or they wouldn't have risked it again. This leads me back to the neighbor and his addict brother. That's my thinking anyway.

posted Hide Post
No matter what system you choose, make sure it has a cellular backup. Burglars often cut phone lines to disable alarms. Sounds like the burglars spent a great deal of time in the house, which is not typical. And confirms that they had prior knowledge of what to look for in the house. Was there a gun safe involved?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16375 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately no safe. I have been safe shopping the last couple weekends and was about to pull the trigger on a Canon safe from Costco... Day late dollar short. I don't have any kids and the guns were hidden in various places around the house. ( couple handguns and a few long guns)

The officers I spoke with said it wasn't your typical burglary. Great guys by the way. I told them I was carrying and they were very cool with that.

posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with SafeTouch. we've had it for 6 years and it does use cellular and a battery backup. We test a couple of times a year and they never fail to respond over the two way voice intercom in around 15 seconds.

Have not used their cameras as I installed my own which are far better quality with better options than most plug and play cameras from alarm companies.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
First thing get a new alarm. I was looking at Simplisafe when my alarm company was going to raise there rates. My alarm company changed there mind after a phone call from me.
Your title says you live in central Florida if so there is a gun show at the central Florida fair grounds this weekend. The safe companies usually are there and have some good show prices.
You may also want to go to the show to see if any of your guns show up with private sellers walking around. If so Orlando police department or the sheriff are usually there and you can let them know they might be yours, you will need some proof.
It sucks that your guns were stolen. If you are an NRA member there is some basic insurance you get with your membership.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
After our break-in on June 10 2015, and lots of research, we went with Frontpoint! 1000% HAPPY!!!I feel safe again!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
ACTEG,

Check Gmail, you have mail from me.

Posts: 13289 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
After our break-in on June 10 2015, and lots of research, we went with Frontpoint! 1000% HAPPY!!!I feel safe again!

I too have Frontpoint, and like it a lot.

Pricey on the monitoring, but very fast response. Our two Shi Tzu's would apparently get up on the back of the couch and love seat, to look out the window when we were gone thereby triggering the motion detector. They called immediately to inform me each time that the system was tripped, and which sensor it was.

I have since adjusted the motion sensor, and no more false alarms. Also have had no break in, thank God.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figure thay was there plan when they first tried to break in at 4am. Looking back my neighbor has asked me some weird questions about if I have a safe and where I keep my guns. I've known him for 4 years

Have you shared this with the police? Is there a particular person assigned to investigate this?
The squeaking wheel gets the grease. Be proactive with the authorities and ask them to knock on the guys door and ask those questions. You never know.
If anyone gets arrested for this, have a meeting with the prosecutor and keep the heat on.

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Damn, were it me, I would move. I wouldnt recover well after being violated by scum like this. Hope you get some good advice here.

Why? Confused
If you think it's the neighborhood then think again~ it can happen anywhere .
If it's because you need a virgin house then that's just plain delusional.
Eek

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry this happened to you. Do you still have firearms for you and your girlfriend? Plan for a home invasion. If you have talked to your neighbor since this happened, stop. Obviously everything you have told, or shown him has been reported to his brother. He is likely in on the burglary as well.

When you found the burglary did you notice much vandalism? Were the pictures or mirrors broken when they were removed, or were the drawers jerked out or just removed and dumped? If you can, make sure that the investigating detective knows that. You didn't say if you had a thorough description and serial numbers of the stolen guns.

If he, or the brother gave you up to the debt collectors, don't expect them to stop, now that they think you are disarmed. The burglars who broke into your home have the means to kill you for the cash that their debtor or his brother may think you have. You and your girlfriend need to amp up your situational awareness pronto. If you think you are being followed, go directly to a public place, like a fire or police station or hospital ER entrance. Stay in the car if an assailant gets out, you can lean on the horn, and use the car to get out of the kill zone.

If you own your home and are going to stay, you need to beef up your perimeter as well as improving your alarm system. Call the Crime Prevention Unit at the Sheriff's Office or Police Department and get them out to your home. It's what they are there for. Ask them which flea markets or pawn shops they might suggest you watch and follow up there.

Upgrade your alarm system, your awareness and buy the damn safe, before you think about replacing the guns. And when you install the cameras, place them so that you can use them for face recognition. Don't just put them in a corner or on the ceiling. You don't care what is going on, the alarm system is there for that. You want a field of view that shows you WHO is doing it should you have another incident. Get cameras that are at least 720P with a focused field of view. Edmund offered to help you, talk it over with him.

I hope that this doesn't come off as harsh, but you need to tighten up. Good luck to you in this very stressful time.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you still have firearms for you and your girlfriend? Plan for a home invasion. If you have talked to your neighbor since this happened, stop. Obviously everything you have told, or shown him has been reported to his brother. He is likely in on the burglary as well.

I'd be tempted to set up cameras, then find a reason to make small talk with the neighbor. Tell him you are glad you weren't going to buy your boat until this next weekend, because your money was still in the bank. HA! Stupid criminals. Money is there this weekend, not last! And the idiots didn't even find the safe with the coin collection. Total amateurs.

Then wait.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to set up cameras, then find a reason to make small talk with the neighbor. Tell him you are glad you weren't going to buy your boat until this next weekend, because your money was still in the bank. HA! Stupid criminals. Money is there this weekend, not last! And the idiots didn't even find the safe with the coin collection. Total amateurs.

Then wait.[/QUOTE]

Wait for what?

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
After using an established local alarm company in our last 2 houses for over 20 years, we just switched to Simplisafe for our apartment. We bought the equipment (base station, keypad, sensors, motion detector) online, had it delivered to our doorstep, installed the wireless system and activated monitoring. We now own the equipment (to take to the next house), and the monitoring rate is extremely reasonable. Plus a very easy process overall. The system operates off cellular, either T-Mobile or Verizon, with a built in battery backup. We set off the alarm once and dispatch was almost instantaneous.

There are plenty of youtube videos regarding installation. So far, we are pleased.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, I'd get the alarm company out to install or repair/upgrade your system and put out the signs, video cameras on the entrances as well.

There is a FL Gun show this weekend, there will be safe companies as was said, also up at Shoot Straight in Apopka they have a large selection of safes and pretty decent prices, of course costco has them as does tractor supply which may be a little less expensive.

Posts: 24209 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above, that you should be prepared for a possible home invasion robbery. Worse, they could get in the house and wait for your arrival, or wait outside.

I think a high quality alarm system installed asap, or beef yours up, would be number one. Of course, buy a firearm or two, plus safe. To catch the criminals, a second or secure surveillance system with hidden cameras would be ideal. There are some great discreet cameras disguised as working clocks, teddy bears, etc, that are self contained. After an intrusion, the images are downloaded.

-c1steve

Posts: 4118 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
All, thank you for the advice. I sent my gf to her sisters last night and parked down the street and watched the house all night, couldn't sleep anyway. I have an upgraded alarm with monitoring being installed this evening. I reached out to Edmond and will look into surveillance options with him. I still have a handgun (p228) that was in my truck. I went to shoot straight this morning but they didn't have the shotgun I wanted. I am going to call a few other gun shops to see if they have a mossberg persuader, parkerized, with extended tube, and pistol grip. That's what I had before and I was comfortable with using it. My house is an old style turn of the century type house so quarters are tight and I thought a full length shotgun would be cumbersome. I am going to the gun show tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the advice. I know I lapsed in my security measures and was irresponsible with my guns and my conversation with my friend/neighbor. I put the blame on myself for this and am learning the hard way unfortunately.