SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have any social interactions with teachers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any social interactions with teachers? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Every day. Wink

Going to work is very, very difficult these days. I find it hard to talk to most coworkers beyond simple pleasantries or business talk any longer.

There is one person I know is still in her right mind and maybe one other, but he's not someone I'm too keen on, regardless of his beliefs.

I know there are some middle of the road folks, too, more old school Dems, but, frankly, I just am tired of engaging with anyone. Shame, because most of them are perfectly nice people.

I barf in my mouth when many of my colleagues talk to me. Just best to walk away as soon as possible.

I know one Philly public school principal who's more than likely on the conservative side.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
I'm married to a teacher. Sometimes we socially interact and sometimes I sleep on the couch...

Sleep with one eye opened!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
My GF's mother is a retired school teacher. Several of her friends are also. There have been dust ups.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My wife is a teacher, and a positive when I first met her was that she was a member of the Young Republicans in college. There is NO WAY in HADES that I'd ever be involved in a relationship with the enemy!

TDS and similar social/mental diseases can't and won't affect anyone in my circle of trust.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am Facebook friends with a bunch of former teachers mainly due to an alumni page for my high school. Most of them have gone off the deep end left. Maybe they were in high school but I didn’t notice. Whatever. They were decent enough teachers and I just keep scrolling past. I don’t engage anybody in politics in the FB.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Not unless I personally know them. Once an honored profession is now full of people I would never trust with my kids "education".

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I taught for a decade and still communicate with a fair few of my former colleagues.

I am not in contact with any of my teachers from my childhood. Many have passed and I remember them fondly.

Many of my former students still remain in contact with me. Most have grown up to be productive people who make me proud.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Had a next door neighbor for 7 years that was a teacher. We agreed early on not to talk to each other. He had a tree he refused to cut down that cost me around $300/year for 7 years.

I shoot every week with a retired assistant principal/teacher and he's a good guy though, possibly even farther to the right than I am. I have no idea how he made it through 40 years as a teacher in New Jersey.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I know a few teachers. I don’t interact with them at all anymore. I got tired of the communist talking points and the persistent “teaching is a noble calling, we do it for love of the students” bullshit while also screeching for more and more money.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I spent 7 years on a school board in a conservative area of Montana. 6 of those years I was the chairman and had regular interactions with the certified staff. I was the board member who helped negotiate 3 union contracts. The union flag carriers would throw anyone under the bus for their own personal gain.

About half the staff were union flag wavers and lived in their own world. The other half pretty much ignored the union and were, what I would call, regular folks. Guess which group were the best teachers. I changed my views on 'eduction'

That has been over 20 years ago. It probably has only gotten worse - even in small town America.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Anyone else have a tale of teachers that you admired really letting you down?

Not really. I mean, other than the entire freaking "education" system being a massive disappointment.

Next-door-neighbor to one side was a teacher. Smart man, too. Except his poor lifestyle choices led to an early demise Frown We never discussed politics, but I suspect he would not have been a Biden supporter Wink

Have a neighbor down the street that was a teacher. I expect he's retired, now. Other than waving to him and his wife as they're walking their dog, we've had no interaction with them for fifteen years or better. Unless something drastic's changed, I'm sure he was in full-on TDS.

Had an ex-colleague that was a Facebook friend that has gone into teaching. She rarely posted anything political, but, from what she did post, I suspect she was not a Trump supporter.

TBH, I avoid teachers and the entire sorry excuse for an "education" system in this country like the plague on the country I regard it to be. If I keep my voter registration, one of the reasons will be to continue voting against every fracking last school millage proposal that comes up.

I taught in the U.S. Army. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Was damn good at it, too (even if I do say so, myself), and my students loved me. I would never in a million fracking years even remotely consider an association with the "education" system in this country.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I don’t engage anybody in politics in the FB.

Wisdom.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I talk to myself on occasion, yes. Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I talk to myself a lot and I disappoint myself frequently, so yes. Smile

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post