SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have any social interactions with teachers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any social interactions with teachers? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
When I was in 10th and 11th grade I went to my county's vocational technical school. I mostly went because all my friends were in a different school district than I was and we could all be in the same classes if we all went to vo-tech. A terrible reason but we also all got into data processing/programming class. I went back to my home district's school for 12th grade.

The class wasn't very awesome but I consider the teacher a lifelong friend. Back when I had a facebook account (deleted in January) I friended him there. Little did I know that one of my favorite teachers from 12th grade was his sister.

Mrs. C was the absolute most awesome English arts and literature teacher that I could possibly imagine. We tore into Beowulf, Hamlet, A Tale of Two Cities, 1984 and all sorts of classics. We honed our vocabularies and all those lessons still stick with me and even to this day I use the things that I learned. She shared off-color jokes with those of us that could laugh at such things and was generally just a great lady.

Late last year my Data Processing teacher mentioned on facebook that Mrs. C's husband had passed away so I friended her and offered my condolences. This turned into an interesting error in judgement. The lady has a full-blown case of Trump Derangement Syndrome and constantly posted the current talking points along with all the old ones (she never could let go of the Russia thing). I've often come across people that I would consider genius that just can't form a rational political view, even if I disagree I can accept a well though out argument but this got rather embarrassing.

I am certainly glad that I don't have facebook anymore to watch her melt-down because, quite honestly, it was depressing to see her fall apart just about every day. I often wanted to tell her that I'm a conservative because the democrats do those things in 1984 that you taught us were so distasteful.

Anyone else have a tale of teachers that you admired really letting you down?

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister is the only teacher I interact with and she's just as conservative as I am.

It was pretty funny the other day that the head of the teachers union had to send out an email telling all these teachers to quit posting pictures enjoying their vacations while not social distancing because it hurt their bargaining power. That is one union that has become too strong for sure.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I graduated from Ohio State, I had a college professor I would stop and see periodically over the years. He is the only reason I stayed and obtained my second degree in History.

He passed away a couple of years ago. He was a retired USAF Officer did multiple tours in Vietnam doing search and rescue missions. He taught at various institutions from the Air Force Academy to the Univ of Texas etc..

He wrote numerous books, such as Gunpowder and Galleys: Changing Technology and Mediterranean Warfare at Sea in the 16th Century, Revised Edition Feb 1, 2003
by John Francis Guilmartin

He was very knowledgeable, tough, tenacious, and very motivating. He pushed students to learn every facet of history from the social, strategic and government perspective.

My mom was a librarian in Grove City, OH and one of my former teachers would stop in a couple times a week with his wife to get books. He was a great teacher, and coach. I have his baseball card when he pitched in the pro's for a brief period. A really quiet and reserved person but he really cared for his students.
My mom always told him that I am keeping tabs on him through her.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Have a first cousin who completed a teaching career in Chicago before she and her husband retired here in Alabama. Celia will tell you she is a conservative ... she isn't.

My next door neighbor is a college professor ... department head ... a doctorate in his field of education. We get along swell, so long as we don't discuss politics.

Posts: 4708 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents were both teachers and conservatives. Mom taught World History and was head of the Social Studies Dept. For a while she also taught Junior High Texas History and English, My dad taught the vocational auto mechanics program. My sister, also fairly conservative, just retired from teaching history at an alternative high school. I grew up around all the folks my parents taught with. I’d say more of them than not are also conservatives.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a few come into our business as customers and we visit and reminisce while they are here.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I am acquainted with a number of my K-12 teachers, college and law professors, and college TA's on Facebook.

I keep up with my 6th grade teacher, and visit her and her 100+ year old mother periodically to catch up.

I also keep up with my 10th grade honors English teacher. She was fairly young when she was teaching, we were her first or second year of teaching and she was working on her Master's degree at the time.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
nope.

when I was in Community College , the last year,
My High School Gov't teacher was there,
saw him in the commons a few times,
we talked a few times,

he is (was? he may have passed) a nice guy but about as far left as you could get,

our Gov't class in 1980 started on the first day about how Reagan sucked and Carter would win re-election, and continued until the day after the election,,
it was never mentioned again the rest of the year

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My bavy sister (God rest her soul) was a Primary Grades teacher, and very Conservative (she taught in Arizona).

Many of my fellow church Choir members are teachers, and I do have significant social interactions with them, too (pre-COVID, of course). Most of them are pretty Conservative, too (we ARE in Texas).

I have not maintained a relationship with any of my school teachers, principally because I moved away from where I was raised, and while there my attention was devoted to my extended family.

flashguy.

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several family members that are teachers.

One of our neighbors is a teacher. Their children call me Mr. Ken and think my wife and I are part of their family.

All of the above are very conservative.

I work for a college that has over 60,000 total enrolled at seven campuses with two more under construction.

I do not interact with any faculty socially. I am not sure what the liberal/conservative ratio is but there are many of both. The college president is very conservative and I have a lot of respect for him.

One of our faculty is a member here. We did a bit of handgun trading last year.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My brother is a Jr. High counselor, and in a special services school (meaning the students are lunatics), God help him. His wife is an high-ish level administrator in a very large district.

They are both more left than me, which isn't hard, as I am fairly hard-core libertarian. But neither of them are crazed nor are they modern woke progressives. I guess they are more traditional old-school Democrats. My brother, less so. But you can talk to either of them.

I didn't stay in contact with any public school teachers of mine, but many of them would be dead by now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Before Tomminator moved to a new karate school, we socialized with several karate families and two of them are teachers...one is his band teacher the other teaches in the same district.

It’s like night and day.

One of them is a well balanced easy going guy, the other teacher is a shitshow...makes poor life choices, recently caught a Dwi charge-but has driven drunk before. I feel for her kids as their whole life is constant turmoil because she can’t get her shit in one sock. She is divorcing her husband, and has a new guy already..well actually had him before telling the husband she’s tossing him to the curb. Ain’t no law when your drinking white claw, kinda gal....I just shake my head.

Three of my grandparents were teachers, they seemed like normal people...it was only when I grew up I figured out one was a drunk, one was a manipulative person and the last was a decent person who finally divorced the drunk.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Our High School Track Coach, sent me a friend request a few years ago. Smokin' Joe was always loved by those he Coached.

He is quite the Liberal and has been called out by some of his former Students. He never gets personal, but makes his point of view quite clear.

I have kept him as a friend. I may not agree with much of what he has to say, but I would still buy him a beer if I saw him in a Bar.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My niece is a Chicago Public School teacher. Her mother (my sil) is a principal in that same system. Both are hard core conservatives and hate the teachers union and think it should be abolished. We talk frequently. My son is also a teacher. He is a hard core liberal. We haven't spoken in 4 years because his political views are not the same as everyone else's in the family. His doing not mine.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not if I can help it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have any social interactions with teachers?
I (ahem) interacted with a teacher before I met my wife.

She was a total nut case. The teacher, not my wife.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
A friend of my wife's friend is a primary school teacher. She is also the union rep for her school. Many years ago strike talk was looming and the topic came up at my dinner table. She outlined if a strike happened and replacement teachers were hired how she was going to make her lessons so difficult that her replacement would not be able to teach her kids. I had two thoughts at that time. Way to put your kids first. And, my kids will never see the inside of your classroom honey.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My DIL is a teacher. She is a Conservatives Conservative. She raised 3 children, all 3 have been to Trump rallies.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I'm married to a teacher. Sometimes we socially interact and sometimes I sleep on the couch...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
I'm married to a teacher. Sometimes we socially interact and sometimes I sleep on the couch...

Lol.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post