SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Learning to play chess.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to play chess. Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted
Any recommendations on books on how to learn to play chess? Haven’t played since Bobby Fischer won it all back in the day. It was the rage for a bit cause of Fischer. Working the farm, girls, motorcycles, and fast cars distracted me from taking it serious back then. Other distractions followed. My daughter and her friends really got into it during the pandemic lockdowns. They are coming to town for the Christmas holidays and want me to play with them. How about apps for the iPad or Mac Book?

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Chess.com app for the iPad.

Take the money you would put towards a book and buy a membership, free lessons that are excellent. Can play games with people from around the world 24/7.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I read "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" a long time ago. I remember getting quite a bit out of it. I haven't played for some time now.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I haven't played chess since I was 18. I found it too slow for me and moved to other things.

Now if there was a 10 second maximum time between moves, I could get interested.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
+1 on chess.com. Play often. The website will match you with comparably rated players no matter your level. Consider a paid membership which offers lessons and advanced analysis. Go back and analyze your games and let the engine show you where you made mistakes and missed opportunities. Have fun and don't get discouraged by losing.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I found it too slow for me and moved to other things.

Now if there was a 10 second maximum time between moves, I could get interested.

The default on Chess.com is 10 minutes ("rapid"), meaning each player has 10 minutes total, meaning the most the game could take is 20 minutes. Blitz games are 1 minute for each player (I think). You can tweak game parameters to give you a certain amount of seconds back after you make a move, called "increment."

Year V

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
macOS has a Chess application included in the default install. It is strong enough give most casual players a good game.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't played chess since I was 18. I found it too slow for me and moved to other things.

Then you never really explored chess… but now is the time to change that.

I’d advise getting a free membership to Chess.com, on your computer, phone or tablet.

Bullet games are 1 minute per player
Blitz games are 3 minutes per player
Rapid games are 10 minutes per player

All times are TOTAL, so assuming an average 30+ move game, bullet is 2s per move, blitz is 6s, and rapid is 20s per move.

I guarantee you will run out of time in both blitz and bullet (you lose at that point, btw), but good luck!

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I worked in downtown DC there were guys that played chess at lunch time in Lafayette Park (in front of White House) with (I think) 10 or 15 second timers for each move.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I used to play with my buddy all the time, but he passed away 18 months ago.

Each of us had a couple portable sets, which was a roll up vinyl board and a zipper bag to hold the pieces and also the roll up board.

I'd like to get a new set, of the roll up vinyl board and bag combo, I just looked online and can't seem to find an exact or close enough copy.

If you buy a set soon, make sure the pieces are weighted, they don't fall over so easily.

It's a good game, great mental exercise, enjoy your learning experience.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I'm on chess.com. Same user name. Smile

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

When I worked in downtown DC there were guys that played chess at lunch time in Lafayette Park (in front of White House) with (I think) 10 or 15 second timers for each move.

Dupont Circle has long been the center of this sort of activity in DC, realize that these guys are playing for money, and some of them are among the best players in the country. There is an apocryphal story I once heard that Bobby Fischer (or maybe it was Boris Spassky, or some other notable) once got his lunch handed to him by a chess bandit on Dupont Circle.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Went to chess.com and started the lessons. Thanks to all for the recommendations. Now to browse Amazon for a chess set. Hopefully the Siamese gato wont scatter the pieces.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Went to chess.com and started the lessons. Thanks to all for the recommendations. Now to browse Amazon for a chess set. Hopefully the Siamese gato wont scatter the pieces.

You are welcome! Ignore Amazon for chess sets, one of the few situations where they don’t really carry the good/affordable sets.

chesshouse.com

houseofchess.com

Ignore the very similar sounding names, but the first is my favorite chess store!

posted Hide Post
I didn't realize there were so many members here who play. I started when I was about 8 years old.

I taught my wife to play before we were married and now, for the past more than 35 years, we play at every meal. Got a board set up on the table and we play during the meal, or mostly after we've finished. Had two games this morning.

She's gotten pretty good or, perhaps, I've gotten worse. It's a lot of fun and, obviously, we enjoy it very much.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

With patience you can find a good quality Lardy set on eBay. I've bought two 3.5" King sets for under $100. You can also find good old Drueke boards on eBay.

Year V

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
My mother gave me my initial training in chess when I was probably 6 or 7 years old, and showed me how the pieces move, Check & Mate etc...but never any strategy. Unfortunately, she never taught me Castling or en Passant, so I embarrassed myself a couple times the first times I faced an opponent that executed these moves. To this day, I still frequently forget en Passant.

As I grew older, other distractions took my attention and I got away from chess, but never lost my interest.

Here and there, I'd get into a social game, but I've only played a human opponent twice in recent years. Besides the social element, I do see distinctions between playing a computer and playing a human, and human unpredictability is a thing...I often feel like a new player out of my element, when facing a human opponent.

Schedules don't always allow for it but, to the extent possible, I play anywhere from 1 to 5 games of computer chess a day (Microsoft Chess Titans) and I've played somewhere around 7K to 8K games over the last 10 years or so.

I've set a couple performance goals for myself, and out of the 10 difficulty levels I've been stuck in Level 6 for several years now, but I'm on the hairy edge of hitting my goal and finally moving into Level 7.

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just played my first game on chess. com, against a bot.

As far as chess books go, I was given a copy of Modern Chess Openings 13th edition (MCO-13), by Nick DeFirmian..but I haven't made the time to read it in several years now. Thumbing threw it a few times it is fairly comprehensive, with diagrams, notes, and variations.

There are still large gaps in my game knowledge and I hope to eventually read and learn more about it, and while learning the game has been a real grind for me, I tend to pick up on patterns, so even just playing a computer opponent, I've slowly learned and improved my game.

I'll give it some thought, but might spend a little more time on chess.com, to see if I can hone my game.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Either that or allow bodychecking to liven things up.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just played my first game on chess. com, against a bot.

Play real people and then review the games after for the best "engine" moves and missed lines.

Year V