SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Learning to play chess.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to play chess. Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have been watching Agadmator's chess channel.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5592 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have exactly three friends in my life who are longterm chess opponents over 10-30yrs of friendship.

In one case I've only ever won a few times in 30yrs and don't mind; I very much enjoy the games and time spent, and keep coming back to play when I can.

Nothing beats in-person games, ultimately, as "seeing the board" on a real board is harder / different / 3D vs 2D. A real life game doesn't have a convenient overhead view, and you can miss "seeing" things a bit more, I think, and in the same way online poker misses the human opponent element some and leaves some with a gap once they transition to in person play, so does chess. But online is a nice substitute for some things, definitely a great supplement.

I don't play online anymore, and really only play with my three friends, and even that is pretty sporadic and can have long gaps. Nevertheless, I love the game.

I play Backgammon with another old friend, and Chinese Checkers with another, too.

Timeless Classics, even if only enjoyed every once in a while.

Posts: 25356 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Nothing beats in-person games, ultimately, as "seeing the board" on a real board is harder / different / 3D vs 2D. A real life game doesn't have a convenient overhead view, and you can miss "seeing" things a bit more, I think, and in the same way online poker misses the human opponent element some and leaves some with a gap once they transition to in person play, so does chess. But online is a nice substitute for some things, definitely a great supplement...

You know, that's a really keen observation. Although playing a human opponent is its own wrinkle, seeing pieces and moves 3D vs. 2D throws up a whole additional set of challenges, and really throws me off. Even playing computer chess in 3D mode, I tend to miss opponents pieces in the backfield... ie Bishops hiding behind other pieces in the corners.

I'm really glad you mentioned that nuance. I might try toggling between overhead God's eye view and 3D between moves, to see if it helps me see threats and moves better.

Posts: 6126 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just played my first game on chess. com, against a bot.

Play real people and then review the games after for the best "engine" moves and missed lines.

I'm not real big on creating online accounts, unless absolutely necessary.. but I think my plan is to spend a little more time on the site as a non-member, tool around, see how it's run and what it has to offer, and maybe sign up a little later.

I gotta admit, chess.com does seem to offer some interesting opportunities for an enthusiast.

I was on a respectable and fun winning streak, but over the last week or so the computer has been kicking my ass... and my game needs some serious help.

Posts: 6126 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
You can review your games against the bots also.

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.
—John 8:32

Posts: 2225 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried chess.com. They are kicking my ass. Lol

Posts: 4362 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I prefer lichess for a chess playing website. Also The House of Staunton and Chess House are good places to purchase chess supplies. At one time I was rated a chess "Expert" by the USCF but I haven't played in any tournaments for many years. I still play blitz chess online on FICS or lichess. Lichess is the better site though. Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess is a good beginners book.

Posts: 5976 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post