SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Noise cancelling devices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noise cancelling devices? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I have a pair of Bose QC20 headphones. I took them to work today to see if I could use them instead of earplugs. I probably could for about 80 percent of what goes on. If I or someone else spent a good amount of time with a hard grinding wheel I'd probably have to switch back to plugs. Now the headphones won't fit under my hood so how do the earbuds with noise cancellation stack up against the headphones?

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Bose QC20 set with Apple AirPod Pros 2 years ago for mowing and the like. Love ‘em. They won’t make 8 hours on a charge though.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only similar experience (loud noise environment) is both types mowing. The over the ear work much better there. At the gym the in ear work fine. So the type of noise makes some difference.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
My only similar experience (loud noise environment) is both types mowing. The over the ear work much better there. At the gym the in ear work fine. So the type of noise makes some difference.

Just reread mc's post. Need to rerun my mowing experiment. Perhaps I didn't get a proper seal or something.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’m assuming that you’re wanting to listen to something and not just using them as silencers. If that’s the case, the only solution that I’ve found that works for me is ear plugs and bone conducting headphones.

I use Flents -33dB plugs and Aftershokz Air. I’m considering getting some pro plugs fitted next.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Noise cancelling headphones are not hearing protection. Other than the passive blocking of sound pressure they'll do nothing to protect your ears.

Around the ear tends to block more sound than in-ear.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
… Around the ear tends to block more sound than in-ear.
My experience is the opposite.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I’m assuming that you’re wanting to listen to something and not just using them as silencers. If that’s the case, the only solution that I’ve found that works for me is ear plugs and bone conducting headphones.

I use Flents -33dB plugs and Aftershokz Air. I’m considering getting some pro plugs fitted next.

That is probably what I'm going to do. It's half the price too. Just had to noodle this around before deciding.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noise cancelling in-ear devices or headphones impact a narrow frequency range, and offer little actual hearing protection. You will have the illusion of hearing protection, however, and if you're using the device for communication or listening to music, it will exclude perceived sound, making it easier to hear. It doesn't mean you're being protected from ambient noise.

I use an expensive Bose aviation headset in the cockpit, not because it protects my hearing, but because it enables me to better understand foreign communications. I don't hear two sounds well, at the same time, so someone talking, especially with a foreign accent, is often hard for me to understand. Active noise reduction helps that, and enables me to focus on the voice and exclude some of the perceived background noise. I have to wear one earpiece in, the other out, to communicate with the guy sitting next to me, and others on the flight deck...so one ear is always exposed to the noise. Its' the same if I wear an over-the-ear headset; one ear cup is cocked behind the ear, the other over the ear.

The best hearing protection you can get for in-ear will be foam ear plugs. The best hearing protection you can get is over the ear; the ear cups reduce sound waves impacting the bone around the ear (which transmits sound to the inner ear), as well as reducing the level at the ear canal. Better yet is a foam in-ear plug with over-the-ear protection in addition.

Active noise reduction is used in some headsets with either a passive state until a decibel threshold is reached (gunshot, for example), or audio enhancement (mic/speaker) to enable hearing until a loud noise. Handy for hearing range commands, or an instructor, etc. Not nearly the protection that most wearers think.

If there's any loss of seal with any kind of active noise reduction, the effect on the ANR is substantial, and any element of noise protection is significantly reduced. It's important to understand the difference between what you perceive as reduced noise as the wearer of the device, and the level of protection that the device offers; the two are very different. The perception of reduced noise may encourage you to expose yourself to sound that can damage hearing, while you feel protected. It's insidious.

Active noise reduction can reduce fatigue, especially over long periods. Just be aware of is limitations.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post