SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cordless Impact Drills - Educate Me!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cordless Impact Drills - Educate Me! Login/Join 
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Last Christmas I treated myself to an extensive set of Dewalt 20vmax tools. Best investment I ever made. Being able to grab one, slap a battery in and just get stuff done is amazing compared to fumbling with cords, grabbing extensions, and worrying where the socket is. This year I wanted to be able to go to town on car and truck lug nuts and loosen rusty suspension components so I treated myself to a Dewalt 20vmax high torque 1/2" impact wrench. Can't wait to get it dirty.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I use a combination of 18v and 12v Milwaukee tools.
The Impact driver is 18v as 12v would be light IMO for that kind of tool.
Big advantage in using the same battery in other tools.
YMMV

12v offers a stated 1,000 ft lbs of torque. Not even sure what my 20v stuff is, but if I forget to dial it back I snap screw heads off. I am usually working with machine and sheet metal screws, but can easily drive a 1.5" #10 wood screw into a 2x4.

For most homeowner use 12v is fine.

You've made a unit error here... Impact driver torque is in INCH-pounds, not FOOT-pounds. You need to go up to a huge 18/20V impact wrench with a 1/2" or 3/4" drive to get 1000 foot-pounds.

Regardless, I agree that the good 12V impact drivers are plenty for pretty much anything homeowner related.

I used a 10 year old 12V Bosch impact driver to assemble a swing set/playhouse that involved about 400 2" and 3" deck screws and 150+ 3/8"x4" lag bolts and aside from having to charge the batteries several times, it wasn't a problem. Plenty of power.

The high end current 12V impact drivers put out 2-3 times the torque and have batteries with 2-4 times the capacity as that old Bosch driver.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee 12 volt fuel 2598-22 all the power you could want light weight I have 3 of them inmy cabinet shop running all day long.

Posts: 5606 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee, you can’t go wrong with them.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a two piece set consisting of a drill and driver that is a Makita 12 volt system. The tools are small and the set cost just over $100 a few years ago.

I have no need of a large, powerful commercial grade set as a homeowner, but this set is powerful enough for my needs. I have used them extensively and still find the original batteries hold a charge very well.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Ridgid for me, mine are 18v brushless and have had no issues. The below came as a package deal.

Grinder
Hammer Drill
Impact Driver
Reciprocating Saw
Circular Saw
Flashlight
Charger with 4 batteries

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post