SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cordless Impact Drills - Educate Me!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cordless Impact Drills - Educate Me! Login/Join 
posted
I have been digging into to more home projects lately and I have decided one of these might be very useful for certain things but have not idea what I need.

I know I need to drive screws, loosen bolts hear and there (nothing super heavy although car would be nice)

All my cordless right now if Black and decker 20V but I am not married to keeping this in that family and I dont want to spend a ton

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee 18v Brushless Combo. Simply excellent products.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I not a heavy duty construction guy. But I like DeWalt. My tools have been rock solid.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
First post nails it, as they say.

Milwaukee tools are pricey and worth it.
They even make a heated jacket that take the tool batteries!

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

That's a little heavy duty for most uses. This is My EDC. I've got my 20v dewalt if I need to drive long screws. But this is a perfect daily use one, light, tough enough. Changed tires on a Honda civic before with mine. That link is tool only, you will need battery packs and charger too. Usually cheaper to buy together as kit, but the tool only price is so low that may not be true.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

That's a little heavy duty for most uses. This is My EDC. I've got my 20v dewalt if I need to drive long screws. But this is a perfect daily use one, light, tough enough. Changed tires on a Honda civic before with mine. That link is tool only, you will need battery packs and charger too. Usually cheaper to buy together as kit, but the tool only price is so low that may not be true.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for and HD has it on sale with a charger and 2 batteries!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I use a combination of 18v and 12v Milwaukee tools.
The Impact driver is 18v as 12v would be light IMO for that kind of tool.
Big advantage in using the same battery in other tools.
YMMV

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have beaten the heck out of Dewalt stuff for many years. 18V and now 20V.

They have a few different lines in the 20V. Look for the brushless models. In the drills stay away from any with a plastic chuck. They just don't hold things well. Metal chuck is 100% solid.

Stay away for the cordless hammer drills unless you need one often. The extra weight is a hindrance for other uses special using it over your head.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16410 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You might think about sticking with B&D for the battery commonality if nothing else. Batteries are expensive to replace.

Personally I have a bunch of Ryobi tools with 4 4AH and 2 2AH batteries and they have been perfect home owner type tools. No issues and zero problems.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I use a combination of 18v and 12v Milwaukee tools.
The Impact driver is 18v as 12v would be light IMO for that kind of tool.
Big advantage in using the same battery in other tools.
YMMV

12v offers a stated 1,000 ft lbs of torque. Not even sure what my 20v stuff is, but if I forget to dial it back I snap screw heads off. I am usually working with machine and sheet metal screws, but can easily drive a 1.5" #10 wood screw into a 2x4.

For most homeowner use 12v is fine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
You might think about sticking with B&D for the battery commonality if nothing else. Batteries are expensive to replace.

Personally I have a bunch of Ryobi tools with 4 4AH and 2 2AH batteries and they have been perfect home owner type tools. No issues and zero problems.

Jim

I did think about that and found this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Black-D...decker+impact+driver

Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Bought Ridgid last year about this time when my Dewalt tools were stolen.
Life time warranty, Love them!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a combination of 18v and 12v Milwaukee tools and they never let me down.

The majority are 12v and handle most tasks that I throw at them (including the impact gun). If for some reason I need more power, my 18v impact gun, grinder, circular saw, and/or hammer drill will take care of it.

With these, I really don't use my air tools much anymore.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, I was pleased with my Milwaukee impact so I bought the drill, ratchet, oscillating tool and 1400 ft lb 1/2 impact.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
We use Milwaukee impacts at work and it has held up to very well for the past four years of occasional use. The battery holds the charge in stand by mode for a long time, and provides excellent torque for tightening and loosening fasteners up to 3/8" in diameter.

For polygon shaped fasteners I really like this impact driver, however I don't like to use it for driving in Philips head screws since the impact action makes me think that the bit is jumping out and I have a harder time controlling it.

I haven't used it for drilling, but if I did I would be worried that the impact action could snap the drill bit.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I use a Milwaukee 18volt impact driver just about everyday to put tapcons into concrete... I'm a Milwaukee 18volt fan... but with that said... driving screws into say a deck and driving a lot of them, I actually prefer to just use a drill on low speed... Impact driver is too noisy.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
My most used tool is my Makita 12v impact driver. It’s light, compact, and extremely useful.

I’ve come across 0 instances where it hasn’t had the balls to do the job.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is it right here.

I paid $400+ for this set back in early 2015 thought my drill is a hammer drill.

At this price I even thought about adding another set. I use mine somewhat often being in the construction industry. The hammer drill easily pre-drills into block and I use the impact to drive tapcons without any issues. I've also used the impact on lugs without any issues.

I'm a believer in buying a battery system and not a particular brand. If you're going with Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, etc., you'll be fine for home use. I buy a battery system so I end up buying tools only. I'm also into the brushless mindset so my drills, circular and sawzall are all brushless.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee 18v. I use mine pretty hard (drill and impact driver) and they keep plugging away. I also got the 18v flashlight head as well. With spare batteries this comes in very handy. HD has the best prices unless you find it cheaper on line.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Good to carefully consider the options before you buy into a particular eco system...

I got started on Milwaukee cordless while still in the construction business over 30 years ago. Love 'em.

My current set.

18 volt…
1/4" impact driver
1/2" drill / driver / hammer drill
1/2" 1100 ft pound Impact
Angle Grinder
Circular Saw
Sawzall
Dust / leaf Blower
Flashlight

12 volt...
Oscillating tool

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post