SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I love my wife but she belongs nowhere near a LEGO set!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love my wife but she belongs nowhere near a LEGO set!!!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
There are TWO types of LEGO play:

SET BUILDING - purchase the set and build it. It is only to be disassembled for ease of storage purposes and to be built again as instructed. Those disassembled parts are never to be mixed with the disassembled parts from another set. The assembled sets can be played with together of course.

FREE BUILDING - this is where you just have a whole slew of random parts that you picked up for cheap at garage sales. eBay will likely be a place I look as well looks like they go for about $12 a pound. Though I am pretty sure my mother still has my tub of random LEGOS. These parts are to never be mixed with the parts from a set. A fully assembled free build can of course be put into play with fully assembled sets.

I found your picture online

And I thought "Clip" vs "Magazine" or "concrete" vs "cememnt" were hotly debated....

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
You never ever ever ever mix disassembled kits.

... The hell you say?

Build the kit once as intended. Then play with it. Then disassemble it and put the pieces in the tub.

Whenever you want to build something custom, go for the tub-o-parts.

This is the One True Lego Path.

What kind of repressive, OCD, fun-killing Lego prison camp are you running, sir? Big Grin

There were no kits in 1970. There was only the tub.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Our son really likes building and rebuilding the same set, but he also likes custom builds. I've told him several times it is very difficult to rebuild a set if he mixes them up, and they stay apart for awhile then they get mixed up anyway as kit built sets get customized. Then, twice the wife has laid down the law of LEGO everywhere and dictated that all sets must be built and then bagged afterwards. She sat there for hours sorting and our son and I built, but we always ended up with pieces short and the whole mission fell apart. Now they are on a 1 month hiatus to build up excitement for sets to be received for Christmas.

I still have all my old 1980s LEGOs, but those sets were much simpler. Before our kids were born, after inheriting the big tub from my parents, I built them all, very few pieces were missing. This is due to my parents having a Rainbow vacuum where my brother and I were able to dig out the GI Joe weapons and LEGO pieces from the dirt cake after it dried outside.

I have bulk LEGO I've bought from Craigslist for the kids to do custom builds, but it all just ends up getting mixed up and adds to the larger number of stuff to sort through to build a set again. Its a pointless endeavor, the war of LEGO will never be won, they just multiply like firearms at the bottom of a lake.

Posts: 2518 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

... The hell you say?

Build the kit once as intended. Then play with it. Then disassemble it and put the pieces in the tub.

What kind of repressive, OCD, fun-killing Lego prison camp are you running, sir? Big Grin

Is this Lego build kit kind of like “common core” math concept? Teaching you how and what to think/build vs just figuring it something on your own? Or am I misunderstanding? We don’t have any build kits here that I’m aware of..yet.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:
quote:

... The hell you say?

Is this Lego build kit kind of like “common core” math concept? Teaching you how and what to think/build vs just figuring it something on your own? Or am I misunderstanding? We don’t have any build kits here that I’m aware of..yet.

You get the pieces needed and instructions to build a specific thing. Could be as simple as a car, could be the Batcave.

The instructions are great ways to teach techniques (this piece and that piece and, hey, a hinge!) but place no hinderance themselves on a creative design of Something Else.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO) here. I own an online store that sells LEGO and run a non profit that puts on a LEGO expo once a year. Last years show was 4 days long and 60k sq ft of fun for over 10k fans.

While kits are always fun to build to see new techniques, nothing beats just sitting down with bins of elements and letting your imagination run wild.

Go check out www.bricklink.com if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest area, check out our show, Bricks Cascade 2018.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well...if I were crazy enough to spend $800 for the monster sized Millennium Falcon LEGO set, I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to mix up all of its parts with any other kits. Jus' sayin'...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I haven't looked at Legos in a couple decades. I cant imagine only being able to build something in particular and that's it. Just get an actual model to build at least that way it looks cool when it's done.

Who says LEGOS don't look cool when they are finished???
Models have their place as well.

quote:
I still have all my old 1980s LEGOs, but those sets were much simpler. Before our kids were born, after inheriting the big tub from my parents, I built them all, very few pieces were missing. This is due to my parents having a Rainbow vacuum where my brother and I were able to dig out the GI Joe weapons and LEGO pieces from the dirt cake after it dried outside.

And I thought we were the only ones that did that!
quote:

... The hell you say?

Not like common core. The sets actually make sense.

quote:
Originally posted by silverspyder1996:
AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO) here. I own an online store that sells LEGO and run a non profit that puts on a LEGO expo once a year. Last years show was 4 days long and 60k sq ft of fun for over 10k fans.

While kits are always fun to build to see new techniques, nothing beats just sitting down with bins of elements and letting your imagination run wild.

Go check out www.bricklink.com if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest area, check out our show, Bricks Cascade 2018.

You own BrickLink???
That is awesome!!!!!! I look at your site frequently and eventually you will run my wallet dry once the boy gets beyond the $5 kits. I can't justify the expense or time on the big sets for myself, now when the boy is old enough certainly will be able to justify them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
SigForum has caused me to spend a lot of money on a lot of crazy things, I never thought one of them would be Lego!
Let's see, Legoland is just up the road....

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You own BrickLink???
That is awesome!!!!!! I look at your site frequently and eventually you will run my wallet dry once the boy gets beyond the $5 kits. I can't justify the expense or time on the big sets for myself, now when the boy is old enough certainly will be able to justify them.

No, I do not own BrickLink. I operate a storefront in the site.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kids, mainly my son, would build a beautiful lego kit and play with it. About a week later it would be in pieces and put together as something else. Imagine a trailer park lego tank, gun, car, etc. Used to drive me crazy until it didn't. Finally cleaned up the basement, filled up nearly two big rubbermaid bins with assorted blocks. Some grandkid is going to find lego heaven at granddad's house!

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Lego had not been invented when I was a child, and as an adult I don't play with them. (I have no children, and never did have.)

However, I think if I did have them, I'd be a "free assembler".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some grandkid is going to find lego heaven at granddad's house!

First grandchild on the way.
I can hardly wait.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a Niece that worked for the Leggo folks in CA. Her Cousin's kids were getting into them, they were 5 and 7 yrs old. She sent them two big boxes full of blocks. Like 40 pounds of them.

I never got into them...I am of the Erector set era.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
i remember playing with lincoln logs
Yep. And Tinker Toys, and Erector Sets. (Actually, we couldn't afford the brand-name Erector Set so I made do with a cheaper knock-off--but it did have a motor, so it was cool.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I dont buy Lego's on principle. $100 fucking dollars for some plastic bits? really? Go fuck yourself.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

She just dumped all of the disassembled kits into the same tub.

What. A. Savage!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8854 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It is obvious to me that throughout her life she never attended a lego usage training course. You did the right thing by removing her from LEGO contact until the training process has been successfully completed and certification has been issued.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

... The hell you say?

This....sorting kits triggered me.....I am going upstairs to dump out all our tubs....and will then do lego angels

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Have your wife try to build this bad boy: Big Grin

https://youtu.be/TteS6q20VUY

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post